X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got room for another newbie?

Greetings all!

Have been lurking in the shadows for a short while...figured it was time to come outta hiding.

I'm nothing fancy...am pretty much a career housewife, with a couple of pre-teen munchkins...do some artsy type things (wood-carving, sculpting, portrait drawing...lotsa beadwork), hiking, biking, gardening (am a gardening nut)...who also dreams of relocating to one of your lovely islands someday. We're poor folk, so it's gonna take a while to pull it off. If/when we do come...we won't come to exploit or invade or anything. We're really laid back folks who don't want to step on toes or be disrespectful in any way.

We know we won't ever be Hawaiian as I've seen others ask on here. (oh boy!) We come open-minded & respectfully...wanting to learn about your culture but, also staying true to our own (but will keep it to ourselves. LOL) We wanna mesh! My Mom's an enrolled member of the Santee tribe...and I've got some Lakota & Commanche in me (though other than the dark hair, I'm white as a ghost! hehe) so, can understand perhaps a little about other folks coming in and taking over someone's homeland....and because of that we're pretty mindful about being respectful in "other people's homes," so to speak.

Right now, I'm researching my heart out about the islands...and am an eager "student" open to anyone's and everyone's experiences & advice they have to share. We're planning a trip to visit in about a year & a half (hopefully...we'll see how that goes). We aren't too big on big touristy stuff (can't afford it anyway!) and are more an outdoorsy family...so will be going off the convention beaten path. So, anyways!

Here ya go ya'll. Have at me. (GRIN) You got yourself one big blank canvass to work with.

Missouri Mama

Re: Got room for another newbie?

Aloha and Welcome to Hawai'i Threads! We're one big OHANA...
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      We're one big OHANA...
      definition of ohana:
      "One big dysfunctional screwy mess, ready to bit yer head off."

(hey. why would ohana be all in caps!?)

One important thing that isn't reviewed or brought up when people say they are researching Hawaii for their iminent move, are the original voices.

So much emphasis on location...
      "ooohhh.. I think i will live on the windward side. It is calling me."
      so much reviewing of schools, markets, where the bigbox stores are... homes and neighborhoods... How convenient a neighborhood is...
      Toitally missing the views and mana'o of the kanaka maoli, which is the soul of Hawaii.
      Recommend going through these links. and trying to understand what is being said here.

http://ilio.org/
      http://www.hawaii-nation.org/links.html
      http://www.hawaii-nation.org
      http://www.hawaiianlinks.com/hl/sovereignty.html
      http://www.freehawaii.org/links.html
      http://www.mauiculture.net/kuhikuhi/ea.html
      www.moolelo.com
      http://www.global-town.com/about_haw...waii_links.htm
      http://www.cord.edu/faculty/steinwan/hawaiilinks.html
      http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?Sovereignty

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        definition of ohana:

(hey. why would ohana be all in caps!?)
        no special reason, maybe my caps was stuck? have a great day BroKimo...go pick on someone else.

Comment

maybe my caps was stuck? go pick on someone else.

But someone else's caps are never stuck. Yours always is...
          Last edited by kimo55; March 21, 2005, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the 'Threads, Missouri Mama, and good luck in researching and following your dream. You should visit, several times, before really making the move, and definitely stay for more than a week. If you go off the beaten path, you'll learn much more than you will with a group, but even then it'll take some time to know whether you're seeing the truth, or what you want to see.

And don't worry about getting your head bit off. Only a few... okay, only one of us really does that reliably. And frankly, you could say you're not really a member of the `ohana until one of your threads is stomped on, in which case, you've been inducted early. Congratulations!

Comment

But someone else's caps are never stuck. Yours always is...
              i'm not making more excuses for me kimo but one of the reasons it gets stuck a lot even on my emails is that i suffered two strokes as well as many TIAS. So, yeah, sometimes it's on purpose, sometimes it's not.

don't forget the picnic BroKimo! Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the members that is going!

Comment

don't forget the picnic BroKimo!

don't tell me what to do.
                I am forgetting the pique-nique
                at least I am trying to, with it being mentioned on each and every thread here.

Comment

don't tell me what to do.
                  I am forgetting the pique-nique
                  at least I am trying to, with it being mentioned on each and every thread here.
                  calm down, count to ten...having a bad day? come auntie, honihoni!

and if you don't, can't come to the picnic...no problemo. just don't spoil it for everyone else whoses in a great mood. Then again this wouldn't be hawai'i threads without your sense and affection of ALOHA!

Comment

Originally posted by Missouri Mama

Right now, I'm researching my heart out about the islands...and am an eager "student" open to anyone's and everyone's experiences & advice they have to share. We're planning a trip to visit in about a year & a half (hopefully...we'll see how that goes). We aren't too big on big touristy stuff (can't afford it anyway!) and are more an outdoorsy family...so will be going off the convention beaten path. So, anyways!

Here ya go ya'll. Have at me. (GRIN) You got yourself one big blank canvass to work with.

Missouri Mama
                    Yes, respect for the culture in which you are visiting and the people who live there is always important. As for going off on the "beaten path" when visiting the 'aina, please do so with some caution. It would be much better if you could hook up with a local person before you get to Hawai'i who can tell you where off the beaten path is safe and where it is not. It would be even better if you can get a local to show you the off the beaten track places. There are some places in Hawai'i where even locals won't tread. And that kind of information you won't get in any tourist guidebook.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Welcome Missouri Mama! I lurked for quite a while myself before actually joining. There can be many a conflicting views between people on this board but I think it's actually refreshing that not everyone agrees here. It's nice that people can disagree and move on. Anyway, I hope you find a lot of useful information on ALL aspects of Hawai'i here.

Kimo, I love www.moolelo.com. I exchanged many emails with Uncle Charlie about 2 years ago. He helped me with so much and was incredibly kind to me. I had a lot to learn and still have so much more to go in learning about the Kanaka Maoli part of me. He's very passionate and helped light my fire when it came to educating myself. I think you had a wise and helpful selection of links for anyone thinking of moving to Hawai'i. I often give people who ask me about Hawai'i simular links.
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

just don't spoil it for everyone else whoses in a great mood.

I know, I know;
                        "the wicked man is pissing you off again"..
                        but I can't spoil it for anyone except "everyone else whoses in a (hypersensitive, reactionary) mood..."

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina
                          Kimo, I love www.moolelo.com. I exchanged many emails with Uncle Charlie

I email him alot. da bruddah won't email me back.

and I have invited him a few times to chime in on some of our related important native concerns we churn here on this board....

Comment

I know, I know;
                            "the wicked man is pissing you off again"..
                            but I can't spoil it for anyone except "everyone else whoses in a (hypersensitive, reactionary) mood..."
                            dat response made me smile ...you not wicked. you just kimo. as for having hypersensitive,reactioanry moods , it comes with being bi-polar which I don't apologize for but hate having it. i wish you whatever makes your day and everyday a happy and safe one.

just me,
                            auntie lynn

Comment

Hey all!

Wow! Thank you guys/gals for the warm response!! I told the hubby today on the phone (he was takin' a lunch break...works about 50 minutes from where we live, and that's in no traffic) that I'd worked up the courage to come outta hiding here. Told him that I was fully expecting on having my nether regions shredded and handed back to me on a platter if Kimo didn't like me! (said good-naturedly) THANK YOU FOR being so nice everyone!
                              --------

Thank you (((1stwahine))). You're so sweet!

--------

Kimo....

Honestly, sounds a wee bit like my family. LOL (wink, grin)

I really appreciate your input...and the time you took to post all of those links for me. Too cool! I was secretly hoping someone would take pity on me and post some important places for me to go and learn...

I'm here because I want to understand, learn and hopefully be taught by those that truly matter (not that everyone doesn't matter...hope you guys/gals know what I mean! I'm not saying it too well!! Let's try this again...looking to learn from non-newbies, from folks born and raised in Hawaii ...maybe that sounds better?), Sorry, if I offer offense to anyone....don't mean to. I mightta just stuck my foot in my mouth on that one.

In all my digging around on here...it's so hard to get past all the touristy stuff and get at the valuable information. Out of dozens of links that pop up (when I'm searching for myself), I generally only find a couple that has anything worth a poo. So, Thanks, big time! I look forward to following all of your links.

I'm also completely open to any & all opinions, observations... I WANT that advice, and everyone's opinions & observations. I want it blunt and from the hip. So, PLEASE let it fly around me. I wanna hear it. I wanna learn what's important...and learn it the right way. And generally, I've got a real thick hide, so please nobody feel like you gotta treat me with kid gloves.

-------

Shoot I sure ramble don't I? Sorry!
                              --------

pzarquon.....thanks so much for the input! Your advice is much appreciated! Sounds like smart suggestions. Will do.

...And frankly, you could say you're not really a member of the `ohana until one of your threads is stomped on, in which case, you've been inducted early. Congratulations!
                              ROFL!! Cool!
                              --------------

Miulang...Thank you for you kindness in bringing those points up. Really, really appreciated. Please, PLEASE feel free to jump in anytime with any advice and observations. I'm honored by your and everyone else's help...and welcome it. I'm a real dummy here...but, wanting to learn so thank you!

--------------
                              (((LeiKaina)))) Thank you. I agree with your perspective too...nice that everyone can voice their opinions here.

Gosh everyone...don't know what to say. I knew ya'll were sweet people (you too (((Kimo))) wink, grin!) from reading on here... I just wasn't expecting such a nice welcome.

I promise to be the best newbie I can be on here...for as long as ya'll will have me.

Missouri Mama
                              Last edited by Missouri Mama; March 21, 2005, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X