Support from Distant Shores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support from Distant Shores

Ian Lind undertook a little reporting exercise this morning.
    Governor Lingle raised $246,781.25 during the second half of 2004, with a big chunk coming from out of state. Just for fun, I pulled out the top out of state donors from data filed with the Campaign Spending Commission and came up with this list. Just this small group accounts for about a third of the total Lingle raised during the period. It's clear that Lingle is pulling support from wealthy donors, mostly major Republican contributors, as well as companies doing business in Hawaii.
    Donor companies:

Individual donors:
    • Roland & Dawn Arnall (Los Angeles) $12,000
    • Eileen Blau (Westport, CT) $6,000
    • Guilford Glazer (Beverly Hills, CA) $6,000
    • Marc S. Goldman (Hoboken, NJ) $6,000
    • Russell B. Geyser (Encinitas, CA) $6,000
    • Lewis P. Geyser (Salinas, CA) $3,853.50 (in kind)
    • Robert Cohen (Los Angeles, CA) $3,800.12 (in kind)
    • Abraham T Keh (Los Altos, CA) $5,000
    • Ty Ross (Goldendale, WA) $5,000
    Of course, "individuals" can be misleading (probably why Ian didn't separate them this way). He notes the Arnalls are majority owners in Ameriquest, and are well-known campaign donors nationwide. Glazer is a real estate investor. Chances are high-level "individual" donors have a business interest.

Out-of-state contributions are not unusual in any state race, to be sure. But Lingle has stronger ties than most local candidates to Mainland supporters. As Ian noted, this makes the challenge facing any Democratic candidate even tougher. Though frankly the Dems first need to find a viable candidate before worrying about fundraising...

Re: Support from Distant Shores

If Lingle would "LOSE" the governor's race, she would not be without a job. I think for what she has done for Mr. President, she would probably be selected doing something at the National Level. Whatever will happen is everyone's guess. Personally, I would love to see Congressman Ed Case or Duke Bainum run for Governor...ahh, but that is only my dream. And no way would I want to see Mufi being Governor!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Ian Lind undertook a little reporting exercise this morning.
      Donor companies:

[list][*]The Corbis Group (San Diego, CA) $6,000
      I do know that Corbis Group (a competitor to Getty Images) is owned by Bill Gates...

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        I do know that Corbis Group (a competitor to Getty Images) is owned by Bill Gates...

Miulang
        Nope. Click that link. Corbis Group is a PR company. I can understand the confusion, because the one Gates bought is Corbis Corp..
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
          Nope. Click that link. Corbis Group is a PR company. I can understand the confusion, because the one Gates bought is Corbis Corp..
          I sit corrected.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            I sit corrected.

Miulang
            As well you should, worm!
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
            X