Focus on Substitute Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus on Substitute Teachers

We've talked about substitute teachers before. The recent pay cut, and whether they deserve parity with full-time teachers. Overall teacher retention rates, and how salaries are negotiated. The Honolulu Advertiser takes a big-picture look at the substitute teacher situation today, with several articles.

They talk to some substitutes about the ups and downs of their jobs. They posted updates on two pending lawsuits, one for back pay and one over the pay cut. And some substitutes are continuing the drive to unionize.

Some substitutes on the mainland are part of regular teachers' unions, but Hawaii law doesn't allow for it. The state says substitutes enjoy "casual employment" at a decent $17 an hour, and that a union would set a bad precedent for other casual employees.

Substitute teachers do good work, but I really think the focus should be on recruiting and retaining full-time, fully-certified, qualified teachers. Substitute ranks are dwindling, but I imagine that happens any time there's a growing economy where "casual workers" have lots of other options. But people who devote their lives to education should be rewarded for that, else we end up with schools led entirely by people who come and go as they choose.

Re: Focus on Substitute Teachers

I think because they aren't unionized the "STATE" can treat them like crap.
    I give these devoted educators credit for coming in and teaching our keiki...we all know how children act when they have a sub for the school day. I think if it's a long term sub they should be a way to get these teachers certified... I know several teachers where I work that have been subs in open positions for over a year and can't join the union or be certified.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Re: Focus on Substitute Teachers

Aloha everyone,

Attached is a letter to the editor of the Star-Bulletin that was published on April 10th, 2005 regarding my views on long term substitute positions. I have often accepted these positions at Middle & High School level, some lasting for the entire quarter or semester, and in effect have replaced the regularly assigned teacher in these classes. Yet with all the additional responsibility and hours this entails I have actually had my pay reduced this year. This is terribly unfair and sends a message to substitutes that we are viewed by the DOE as nothing more than temporary help deserving a minimum wage.

In 1996, HRS 302A-624(e) was amended to require the state Department of Education (DOE) pay substitute teachers “based on the annual entry salary step rate established for a Class II teacher on the most current teachers’ salary schedule.”

But since then the pay for teachers has risen by more than 40 percent. At the same time, substitute teacher pay has risen from $100.94 to $112.53 – barely 11 percent.

This bill was passed by the legislature, and the teachers have received their increases (and rightly so), yet the DOE stoutly refused to honor the pay increases for the substitutes - and then this year reduced our pay by 7% !!!

We are the ONLY state workers that have had our pay decreased and in addition, are denied by law the right to organize. No other category of State employee is treated this way.

This attitude has dramatically reduced my incentive to accept any long term position, since I would receive the same pay on a typical day to day assignment without the long hours or increased workload. But this is a diservice to the students, parents & even teachers in our school system. I have built many substantial relationships with my school administrators and teachers in the Windward district and they count on my professional support to maintain the classroom curiculum when a regular teacher is unavailable for a long period of time. The students directly receive this benefit by having continuity in their classroom instruction rather than a series of substitutes while their teacher is away. With the shortage of teachers statewide, I just cannot understand why the DOE does not offer us contracts or equal pay to fill these gaps and teach our children.

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to read this and your interest in educating our young people in the State of Hawaii.

Regards,

Robin

Letter to the Editor:

For those who still insist that substitute teaching is ‘glorified babysitting’, they should not overlook long-term substitute positions, many of which last from several weeks to months.

Many substitute teachers accept these challenging positions, often replacing the regular teacher, for much of the term. Substitutes in long-term positions are required to create and implement lesson plans, attend parent teacher meetings, staff meetings, and grade hundreds - even thousands of papers as well as calculate and input report card grades. Any teacher will tell you what a job that is!

The amount of extra hours and effort that substitutes work while engaged in long-term positions is considerable, yet they receive substantially less pay than the regular teacher & with no benefits. The DOE must pay substitute teachers the equivalent of the lowest entry-level salary of starting teachers and pay us our back pay as the State promised us in 1996.

The DOE, teachers, administrators, parents and students need to treat substitute teachers with the respect and dignity they deserve. We have university degrees, we are certified by the State of Hawaii & we are professionals. We continue to be a vital resource in the public school system. It’s a matter of fairness.

Sincerely,

Robin Rothhammer
      Substitute teacher
      Windward Oahu

Comment

Working...
      X