Waiting on word from Kamehameha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting on word from Kamehameha

Yup. I would've never pegged myself as a person who would be so hoping for KS admissions, yet here I am, telling myself that it will be fine if my children don't get in while not so secretly sending up multiple prayers that they do. My daughter participated in the second phase of the Kindergarten admissions process only a few weeks ago, but I'm already watching for the mailman. How crazy is that? It's nervewracking to think that eight of the sixteen (from the original 120) Windward girls get in while the rest go on a waiting list. And all the while, I'm asking myself why it matters so much to me. It could be that KS has impressive resources and facilities. It could be the opportunity for my children to learn about and embrace the culture that my half-hawaiian husband wasn't raised to share. Or it could be that the longer I work for the D.O.E., the more disillusioned I become with the inflexible and contradictory behemoth that is the "system." Or perhaps all of the above, in addition to various other reasons I'm not fully aware of. I've always been of the belief that with a supportive and involved family, children can thrive in any school. Hmmm. Well, some schools make that more difficult than others, and I'll leave it at that. Other options? Possibly Voyager Charter School for my daughter. Come mid-April, if the mailman delivers skinny white envelopes rather than the desired, honkin' manila ones, we'll remain a hopeful and involved public school family.

Re: Waiting on word from Kamehameha

I've been there. My daughter made the first couple of rounds, but we got the "thin envelope" a month or two later with the sad news. We were living in Makiki then, near Papakolea, so of course the odds were pretty weak. We're gearing up for the 4th grade admissions point, which will hit at about the same time our middle son will be up for the first time.

FWIW, we went with Voyager, and loved it. They're always struggling, and I always half expected to show up one morning to find the doors chained shut, but they're still running, and so far they provided the best educational experience we've seen (our poor daughter, through moves and bad luck, has been in twice as many schools as she's had grades). We had to pull her out when we moved (again!) to Mililani, but there are still days when my wife thinks a twice-daily 50-minute commute would still be worth putting her back in.

Comment

Good luck with this! My mother attended Kamehameha and my baby cousin (not really baby as he is 14 now) attends and my other baby cousin (his sister) is in Kindergarten there and yet, another baby cousin of mine is in the 2nd grade there. The oldest one didn't made it through the first time he tried. First time around he went through 2 or 3 rounds before he eventually got the thin white envelope. Even though I'm in the mainland I have done the Kamehameha Hawaiian Ancestry Registration for my 2 sons as I may move back after college is done and pursue education there for them. My mom has the fondest memories of her time there. I only wish I was able to have gone myself. *sighs*
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        FWIW, we went with Voyager, and loved it.
        Thanks for your words of wisdom. I remember your struggles with Lincoln and how happy you all were with Voyager. Glad I was able to pass on the info when you needed it back then. Funny how long ago that seemed when I stumbled across your journaling of K and her boredom with the letter "B" (was it B?) Now my girl may benefit via your feedback of your daughter's experiences. Needless to say, we're still hopeful. I can't imagine a more extensive application process which included not only testing and observation, but also report cards and letters of recommendation (from kumu hula, soccer coach, and pastor) at this young age. Oh well, show me the hoops and I jump.

Comment

Working...
        X