funky streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funky streets

Pzarquon's musings about one of the trivia questions in the HawaiiThreads Trivia Game inspired this post about streets that change names, as in the crazy Nehoa / Prospect / Iolani / School / Middle.

What I'm really interested in is whether there's an intersection anywhere in Hawaii of four different street names, like you sometimes see in movies. Of course there are several intersections of three street names (Dillingham / Liliha and King comes immediately to mind, or Houghtailing / Waiakamilo and King), but what about four names?

Here's another multi-named roadway: Bishop St., Pali Hwy, Kalanianaole Hwy, and Kailua Rd. Actually, I'm not sure about that Kalanianaole bit--can anyone confirm or deny?
    Last edited by scrivener; March 22, 2005, 07:41 AM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: funky streets

Originally posted by scrivener

What I'm really interested in is whether there's an intersection anywhere in Hawaii of four different street names,

Aaahhh... must be nice living on a trust fund, eh!?

(sorry; don't mean to be too much of a smartass, but was just too funny not to point out:
    "What I'm really interested in is intersections..."
    Trust fund baby! = Lotta time to think about these things!
    ONLY explanation!
    but apologies; no animals were meant to be harmed in the making of this film.
    Too many years of MST3K has warped the ol' gray matter.)
    Last edited by kimo55; March 22, 2005, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Well, now that Kimo's put his distinctive mark on this thread, too, we can really get started.

Scrivener, what do you mean by four different street names at one intersection? (What movies?)

I guess you mean that both intersecting streets have different names on either end, rather than an intersection where, truly, four different streets collide. After all, you have the six-way Date/Kapiolani/Kamoku/Kaaloa intersection. The messy S. King/Kapiolani/Alapai/South intersection (although the giant traffic island might disqualify it). And there's a five-way in Manoa somewhere.

As for Bishop/Pali/Kalanianaole/Kailua, I think you got it. Check out this map. Note that while Kalanianaole continues separate from Kailua Rd. (which may be a disqualifier), Kailua Rd. retains Kalanianaole's (and Pali's) Route 61 designation. Only thing is, Pali is Route 61 only above the freeway, it doesn't stretch down to Bishop or the waterfront.

Comment

Would the area where South King, Kapiolani, Waialae Ave and Harding count?

Comment

Well, there's Queen Emma, School, Lusitana, and Iolani, just above the freeway. And although the map disagrees, I think in reality Huali makes it a five-way there.

Comment

Although it really isn't, the intersection by the Convention Center often seems five or even six ways. I don't know any other intersection which has more people running red lights. To stay alive, best to wait a little bit when the pedestrian light says GO.

Comment

Working...
            X