Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alohas from alaska

wassup!

i was born in hawaii, raised on the big island. right now i stay in alaska. soo gayy!! LOL anywayz. just sayin wassup and what not.. so im out..

<3krissy

Re: alohas from alaska

Originally posted by surreaL 808
    right now i stay in alaska. soo gayy!!

NOT that there's anything WRONG with that...

Comment

I seem to be one of the few people I know who is really annoyed by this teenage epithet. Maybe it's because I have gay friends and family members, and I don't appreciate that kids are using "gay" to mean lame and loserish. Hey, my loved ones may be gay but they're not lame and they're not losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        I seem to be one of the few people I know who is really annoyed by this teenage epithet. Maybe it's because I have gay friends and family members, and I don't appreciate that kids are using "gay" to mean lame and loserish. Hey, my loved ones may be gay but they're not lame and they're not losers.

reminds me of something i saw in the papers a while ago; a controversial quote regarding that word...

"the approriation of a previously commonly used word to signify 'happy', stolen and used as a label by a particularly morose group, is the worse form of piracy"
        Not that there's anything right about that perspective, just thought it was kinda well... "ward churchill-ish"

(and this quote I have heard, has been paraphrased now and again...)

hey; just thought of something:
        If... these kids nowadays with their usual sullen, disaffected demeanor, actually are using the ORIGINAL definition of "gay", then they are saying: Oh, that's so "joyful!" in a derisive way.
        kinda follows.
        Last edited by kimo55; March 31, 2005, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          reminds me of something i saw in the papers a while ago; a controversial quote regarding that word...

"the approriation of a previously commonly used word to signify 'happy', stolen and used as a label by a particularly morose group, is the worse form of piracy"
          Not that there's anything right about that perspective, just thought it was kinda well... "ward churchill-ish"
          Huh. Do you remember who said it? I never thought gay people were particularly more or less happy than everyone else -- except when they're being persecuted of course; then they're not especially cheerful. But that quote does have a academic-postmodernist sound to it, don't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Huh. Do you remember who said it?
            yes, now I do:

Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.
            author of sixteen books
            renowned historian and social critic.
            twice won the Pulitzer Prize
            winner of the National Book Award
            awarded the prestigious National Humanities Medal

(Ok, let 'em have it: "Humanities Medal"?)

Comment

Working...
            X