Weigh Those Teachers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weigh Those Teachers!

From the "Naps and Snacks" department, already stocked to the gills with "what were they smoking" exhibits, comes:

Lawmaker Wants Teachers Weighed For Obesity
    [State Rep. Rida Cabanilla] suggested Hawaii's public schoolteachers be forced to weigh in as part of the fight against obesity in students. A resolution in the state house would create an obesity database among teachers. The idea isn't being well received by the teachers union.
    Yes, let's antagonize the teachers we were already struggling to recruit and retain. And let's focus on a dippy problem, when we've got bigger more serious issues to address.

Tell you what. I want to start a campaign to fight stupidity in government. Who wants to introduce legislation to require IQ tests prior to qualifying to run for office? No? How about requiring some indications of brain activity, at least?

Re: Weigh Those Teachers!

Isn't Cabanilla the representative who took Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo's seat? Sheesh, not much of an improvement.
    "You cannot keep a kid to a certain standard that you yourself is not willing to keep," Cabanilla said.
    Hmm, taking this to its logical conclusion, let's require all elected officials to send their kids to public schools.

(And shouldn't it be "are willing to keep"?)

Comment

Ok, I am compelled to weigh in and put my distinctive mark on this thread, too.

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Isn't Cabanilla the representative who took Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo's seat? Sheesh, not much of an improvement.

"You cannot keep a kid to a certain standard that you yourself is not willing to keep,"

(And shouldn't it be "are willing to keep"?)
      "...You cannot keep a kid to a certain standard..."
      Sheesh!
      What Parthenon is THAT written on!?

All of Rida's rumblings sound like the blatherings of an uneducated person. And Rida is supposedly a "lawmaker"?!

Rather, Rida would be more correct to say:

"You should not hold a child to a certain standard that you, yourself are not willing to maintain..."
      or
      "You should not keep a child to a certain standard that you, yourself are not willing to adhere to..."

(Still, the use of "keep" is clumsy. And of course, one CAN hold a child to a standard... but that doesn't mean they necessarily should...)

Rida also says:... "And teachers have a lot of impact to these students."
      duuuh.

"teachers have impact TO the students"?!

I tell ya, Rida is ONE person who has absolutely NO business telling anyone in the education system, what to do.

Would somebody please, send Cabanilla back to school, hopefully with a thesaurus in one hand, and Strunk's "The Elements of Style" in the other....
      Last edited by kimo55; March 22, 2005, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Tell you what. I want to start a campaign to fight stupidity in government. Who wants to introduce legislation to require IQ tests prior to qualifying to run for office? No? How about requiring some indications of brain activity, at least?
        pleassssse no do dat. i thinking bout running foa office the next election to get in and make dem work for dea money....i would fail da tests hands down and den wat?problem is i dunno which office i goin run yet.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I thought the HSTA guy showed a great deal of restraint. My first thought was "Ok, we'll let thin be a requirement if the legislators also have to be thin before they can run. Too much body mass? BZZZT! No votes for you!"
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            I thought the HSTA guy showed a great deal of restraint.
            I have made it plain that I am opposed to teachers' unions, but I must say that I'm fairly impressed with this guy. Restraint and tact seem to be his modus operandi, and that never hurts any profession. The previous office-holder wasn't a warrior herself, but it was obvious that she stood for whatever was of benefit to the union, common-sense be darned. I like this guy, and am keeping an eye on him.

Really, an idea like this is so stupid, comment becomes superfluous. Anyone know anything else about Cabanilla?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              From the "Naps and Snacks" department, already stocked to the gills with "what were they smoking" exhibits, comes:

Lawmaker Wants Teachers Weighed For Obesity

Yes, let's antagonize the teachers we were already struggling to recruit and retain. And let's focus on a dippy problem, when we've got bigger more serious issues to address.

I'm sorry for quoting your entire post, but I thought it was so darn hilarious. I'm still crying! Isn't she the same rep who brought up another instance of stupidity a month or so ago? I'm going to google to see if it jogs my memory. Hey, I'd better find a new profession. While I'm the first to admit that I'm obese, my magic number is between me and my doctor.

Comment

Working...
              X