Flip-Flopping Traffic Flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flip-Flopping Traffic Flow

The city and state government has been feeling pretty creative lately, experimenting with various modifications to traffic flow on major Honolulu thoroughfares to reduce congestion. We've got contraflow lanes everywhere, of course. There's the ongoing Lunalilo onramp/Vineyard offramp experiment. And there was the question over how much of Punchbowl Street to convert into two-way traffic (Mufi killed a plan by Harris to convert it makai of King, but yesterday decided to leave it two-way mauka from there).

I think the two-way segment of Punchbowl between King and Beretania was a great idea, since it saved folks trying to get on the H-1 from downtown from going halfway 'round the Capitol district.

Of course, now people are thinking about the Pensacola/Piikoi switcheroo again.

The counterclockwise flow (King, Piikoi, Lunalilo, Pensacola) makes no sense to anyone just watching traffic on Lunalilo. Blocked intersections, gridlock, and lots of road rage. The folks on Pensacola are worried their street will clog like Piikoi does now, but since Pensacola traffic won't have to criss-cross Lunalilo traffic for that messy block, I'm confident it won't be anywhere near as bad. The only real headache would be H-1 eastbound access, though the plan I saw calls for one mauka-bound lane on the reversed Piikoi for access from Kinau.

I think it's a great idea, but given the time, expense, and public inconvenience required the change, I'm not sure it'll happen.
Working...
X