Ireland: replacing English names with Gaelic ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland: replacing English names with Gaelic ones

Apropos of this earlier thread about Maori placenames and this one about Hawaiian language in official documents, I noticed with interest that in Ireland, they're replacing English placenames with Gaelic ones.

Re: Ireland: replacing English names with Gaelic ones

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Apropos of this earlier thread about Maori placenames and this one about Hawaiian language in official documents, I noticed with interest that in Ireland, they're replacing English placenames with Gaelic ones.
    I think that's cool that the Irish are resurrecting their language, too. Another sign that English as the predominant language of the world is slowly fading.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      I think that's cool that the Irish are resurrecting their language, too. Another sign that English as the predominant language of the world is slowly fading.

Miulang
      I only hope the Welsh don't take up this nationalism thing, too. Have you seen how long some of their town names are? The longest name is
      Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch which means "St. Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the red cave". They abbreviate this on maps as
      "Llanfair P.G."

The longest name in the world for a city award goes to Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayuttha yamahadilokphopnop- paratrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamorn phimarnavatarnsathit- sakkattiyavisanukamprasit. (163 letters!)

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There's no danger that English is losing its place as the predominant language of the world. Rather, I think what's happening is that the English-speaking nations, i.e. England and the USA, are ceasing to insist that everyone else use only English and nothing else. It's fine to speak your own language, as long as you can also talk to us in good old American, or a reasonable facsimile. A very reasonable imperial attitude (cf. the Romans).

Comment

Working...
        X