TheCab using GPS dispatching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCab using GPS dispatching

I called the good folks at TheCab today to arrange a pickup, and the automated voice system mentioned that they were in the middle of upgrading thier system to GPS, and apologized for any delays and whatnot.

When my taxi arrived, I noticed the driver had a spiffy LCD screen which was obviously one of the GPS units, and he said that the company is switching to an "all digital dispatch", which supposedly means that thier system will only dispatch a driver who is closest to the the person who has arranged a pickup. Not too shabby.

Now, if they could integrate thier GPS system with Google's new "Ride Finder " feature, that would rock the proverbial casbah!

Re: TheCab using GPS dispatching

Melorama..

If you are going to that
    picnic on April 2, I suggest
    you talk to my hubby when he
    or we come in, because
    he drives for the TheCab,
    & he would know more about that
    stuff & probably more stories
    he can tell you about the
    experience of being a cab driver.

Let me tell ya, I have listened
    to them all. Some or most
    of the once I heard from him
    are pretty funny!.

maybe I should write a book,
    yah yah, that's it. That's an idea. LOL.

Well, over all, he likes that new computer.
    He doesn't have to listen to all that
    chatter off of the radio any more.

From what I heard, a few other drivers don't
    like it, because they are not use to
    that computer & still would rather
    have the radio.

What ever floats their boat.

Aloha.
    Last edited by Serenity; April 1, 2005, 09:49 AM.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

The onboard GPS systems can be great however for the driver it's like having a Supervisor sitting right in the passenger seat. These systems not only tell where the driver is, but it also tells the dispatcher where the cab's been and how fast it was travelling from points A to B as well as how long the cab sat in one location and if the cab driver turned off the car's engine.

It's like Big Brother or Big Boss keeping an eye on the workers.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I don't know about cabs with GPS, but I rode with a friend who has one of those new personal GPS navigation systems, and it was very cool. Now, if they'd only make one that bounced a heads-up display off of your windshield to overlay the scenery outside...

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          The onboard GPS systems can be great however for the driver it's like having a Supervisor sitting right in the passenger seat. These systems not only tell where the driver is, but it also tells the dispatcher where the cab's been and how fast it was travelling from points A to B as well as how long the cab sat in one location and if the cab driver turned off the car's engine.

It's like Big Brother or Big Boss keeping an eye on the workers.
          Yeah, that may be true, but as far as how it may be inconvenient to the drivers
          ("Big Brother or Big Boss keeping an eye on their workers"),
          It may be good in some way, because, there has been other drivers that has taken advantage of their pay & the older system itself, that I feel that it is a good idea towards to those who have cheated before within the cab company.Plus, with the new GPS computer(s) in their vehicle(s), that gives them the advantage from the other independent cab drivers, to where their passengers can't be taken away from those independent drivers via the the radio. So now, all of the independent cab drivers can't listen in on the radio to steal other companies passengers, & all they hear are squelches & beeps . Muaha ha ha ha!.
          Aches & Pains

Comment

The first thing that came to my mind was that it would increase safety for the drivers and any passengers. If (heaven forfend) the cab was hijacked, the cab company would be able to track where the car was at all times, so the cops would have an easier time possibly apprehending the carjacker before s/he is able to do mortal harm to the cab driver (it happens a couple of times a year up here). Conversely, it might make potential car jackers think twice about robbing a cab that had GPS.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              The first thing that came to my mind was that it would increase safety for the drivers and any passengers. If (heaven forfend) the cab was hijacked, the cab company would be able to track where the car was at all times, so the cops would have an easier time possibly apprehending the carjacker before s/he is able to do mortal harm to the cab driver (it happens a couple of times a year up here). Conversely, it might make potential car jackers think twice about robbing a cab that had GPS.

Miulang
              Well said!.

I couldn't have said that any better.

Plus, It also helps to have their cell phone by their side
              (for those emergency calls.).

Thanks.

Aloha.
              Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
              X