Clear All

• Requiescat in pace, Il Papa!

the pope has... popped off...
    (gone up to see my pop!
    haha.)

we all expected it. he did too.
    we knew he was ready
    after all,
    wearing that rocket is pretty much a giveaway.
    Last edited by kimo55; April 2, 2005, 09:09 PM.

Re: arrivederci, pontiff!

May the Pope rest in peace and be with the almighty Father God in Heaven. Kimo, you are so desrespectful...this is the POPE! I'm not a Catholic but I do know that when someone dies, I should respect their passing and not make fun in any way. That is not right. That is sick. Then again...that's your opinion and how you are, and unfortunately I have to respect it here. You are beyond help. Anyplace else, Bro Kimo, whack whack to you head and more!

Aloha Oi' Pope! You have done well. May you rest in the kingdom of GOD, in Jesus name I pray.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Requiescat in pace, Il Papa!

Amazing that no one in the forum has yet to make a comment about the passing of Pope John Paul II.

I am not a Catholic, but that doesn't mean that I don't mourn his passing or that I don't believe that if the Nobel Peace Prize can be awarded posthumously, that Il Papa would be nominated for it. Even though he was at the head of a church that has been battered by all kinds of scandals in America related to the sexual misconduct of some of its priests, he nonetheless in his own way was able to bring diverse religions and governments together. He helped thaw out the Cold War. He helped bring about the demise of the Soviet Union. For that, he will be particularly remembered.

He also taught us a great lesson about dying with dignity. Ironic that his death should come only a few days after the very publicized death of one of his flock, Terri Schiavo (although in some really freaky way, I think "someone" planned it this way). Where his death was quiet, hers was not. Her death brought out the worst in human beings who selfishly struggle to keep feelings of guilt away by trying everything humanly (and then some) possible to keep their loved ones alive, no matter the cost or the emotional pain to themselves or the loved one who might be suffering.

I hope we can all learn lessons from both Il Papa and Terri Schiavo's lives and deaths.

Homo vitae commodatus non donatus est - (Man has been lent to life, not given)

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Kimo, you are so desrespectful...this is the POPE! You are beyond help.
        boy, have you done it now!

hey, I have an appropriate level of respect for Pope John Paul George Ringo after all that I have learned through all these decades, of the most powerful christian organization in the world...

here's one perspective:
        he is a representative of a mass brain control cult.

vatican! vatican!
        that word mean anything?

do you know what they do?!
        How they control and manipulate?
        oppress?

fahhgeddit.

(hell, he's probably up there ensconced in that gated community saying; "Thank GOD I don't haveta wear that damn thing anymore!)

http://www.rael.org/int/english/free...tion/intro.htm

http://www.remnantofgod.org/ustashe.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in566978.shtml

http://www.cephasministry.com/vatica...ar_crimes.html

http://www.reformation.org/holocaus.html

http://atheism.about.com/library/boo...rPopesJews.htm

http://www.geocities.com/militantis/hulamasses.html
        hey; leave the hula alone.

http://www.soulforce.org/romepress121200.html

http://www.americancatholic.org/News...ty/default.asp
        Last edited by kimo55; April 3, 2005, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Re: Requiescat in pace, Il Papa!

Originally posted by Miulang
          Amazing no one in the forum has yet to make a comment about the passing of Pope John Paul II.

this reminded me of the days following the world trade center disaster/atrocity/events, whatever you want to call it...
          wherein a national reporter was stuck here on the island and didn't see anywhere near such an outpouring of fervid patriotism as she did on the mainland.
          Where, of course, the action of the plastic window flags and flag t shirt industry rivalled the level of Martha Stewart Inc.

And of course she ranted and railed against our apparent, to her, "apathy".

EVERYone on the mainland was, well, you all know.
          BUT...here in Hawaii, it was spotty... here and there a little bit of flag waving. But not like California, where it resembled the win after superbowl...
          We were reminded; this is, as was said before... a far removed culture from America.
          We weren't necessarily doing a Ward Churchill thing, but many islanders do not feel a close kinship with the workings of the american machine...
          Last edited by kimo55; April 3, 2005, 09:12 AM.

Comment

whateva's! Here's a whack whack in your head...remember the power of the Lumerians? shazamm, poof be gone!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
              whateva's! Here's a whack whack in...

..and I AM... beyond help?
              Last edited by kimo55; April 3, 2005, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                ..and I'm beyond help?
                uh huh...and then some. I called Queens Kekela. They're expecting you. No pilikia bro kimo, three meals a day, you can make trouble to the good looking nurses and the best is you'll be on the lock side, in a three point body restraint. LOL

Comment

EVERYone on the mainland was, well, you all know.
                  BUT...here in Hawaii, it was spotty... here and there a little bit of flag waving. But not like California, where it resembled the win after superbowl...
                  We were reminded; this is, as was said before... a far removed culture from America.
                  We weren't necessarily doing a Ward Churchill thing, but many islanders do not feel a close kinship with the workings of the american machine...
                  Why I find it quizzical is because all your local newspapers were literally peppered with stories about his death vigil for the last week of his life! I guess your local fourth estate is more closely aligned with us up here, then. What does it take to get the people of Hawai'i roused to do anything more than go about their daily lives, trying to make a living? Does it have to relate directly to an individual in Hawai'i before they stop to think about it? Is that why the developers and the government have been so able to do as they wish, until the end result is what you all have to live with today? I guess then that the majority of islanders are still only about halfway up Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Miulang

P.S. At least the people of Kalaupapa are mourning the Pope's death. But then again, they're not worried about overdevelopment on that peninsula.
                  Last edited by Miulang; April 3, 2005, 02:29 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I certainly disagreed with many of his policies, especially the ones regarding human sexuality, but I still think he was one of the great men of the 20th century.

Comment

amene to dat!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        all your local newspapers were literally peppered with stories about his death vigil for the last week of his life Miulang
                        oh, Miu!
                        You know better than that.
                        our newspapers were not sprinkled, seasoned, or covered with or as if with pepper.

Now, you may have meant:
                        "all your local newspapers were peppered with stories about his death vigil for the last week of his life"

But I really don't think you meant "literally"?

I mean, HOW (and why) would we really, "literally", HAVE pepper on our stories?
                        Inquiring minds wanna know...
                        Last edited by kimo55; April 3, 2005, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Miulang, I can only speak for myself, but what's left to say? The man lived a good long life, passed away in pretty much full public view, and we're now inundated with wall-to-wall television coverage. Every talking head has said a lot. I'd venture to bet that most of those talking heads aren't Catholic, haven't read his enycyclicals, and are mostly mouthing platitudes. (Someone else noticed this too).

As a former Catholic, I can appreciate the office and the ritual, but I disagreed with the man and his leading of his Church back to pre-Vatican II days. I'm glad he didn't suffer, but I hope they pick a replacement Pope who's a man of the 21st century. Pope John II knew and used the trappings of the late 20th century media machine very well, but his bringing Opus Dei to the forefront of the Church, his blanket condemnation of artifical birth control (in the age of AIDS!), and his uncompromising stance on abortion (health of the mother? Too bad!) are/were not good things, in my view and that of (apparently) many Catholics who still attend Mass. (I base that on poll data I've seen which says that many American Catholics admired him but ignored his teachings on those subjects).

I mourn his loss as a man, but as a Pope? Sorry.
                          Last edited by Linkmeister; April 3, 2005, 09:12 PM. Reason: Add NYT link
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Addendum to my post above: This is from ABC's The Note this morning, quoting the WSJ (Sub. req.)

Two very good paragraphs from the Wall Street Journal's Gabriel Kahn, though we are certain many conservative Catholics will quibble at his use of the verb "halt."

"Most strikingly, John Paul II halted the momentum for institutional reform that came out of the Second Vatican Council, which, among other changes, strove to create a more approachable and responsive church. Even many close allies of John Paul say it is time for an organizational housecleaning to get officials focused on the church's top challenges — among them, a shortage of priests, the spread of a more assertive Islam and tensions created by the growing weight of Latin America and Africa in world Catholicism."

"Steering an organization of the Catholic Church's size would test the most seasoned executive or general. Catholicism counts some 1.08 billion faithful around the globe. The Vatican itself employs around 4,000 people, and there are close to 1.2 million priests, monks and nuns around the world. The budgets of the Vatican city-state and its political entity, the Holy See, add up to less than $500 million, but world-wide spending including local churches is far larger. The total expenses for all the parishes in the U.S. alone were $6.6 billion in 2000, and that doesn't include the country's 230 Catholic colleges and universities, 8,500 schools and 585 hospitals."

The Journal's editorial board has these fine thoughts:

"For this was a man eminently comfortable with modernity — even while he refused to accept modernity's most shallow assumptions. Just as he offered his first public words as pope in Italian to make himself understood by those below his balcony, he held that ultimate truths about man and his relationship with his Creator are never outdated, however much they require constant expression in new languages and new circumstances. As he never ceased to declare, Communism's core failure was not economic. It was anthropological, stemming from its false understanding of human nature."

"We had our own disagreements with this pope, notably over America's efforts in Iraq in two wars. But even in disagreement we have always understood that this pope was no schizophrenic. It is possible, as many who otherwise admire him do, to disagree with Pope John Paul's teachings on marriage and homosexuality, on abortion, and so on. But it is impossible to understand him without conceding the coherency of his argument: that the attempt to liberate oneself from one's nature is the road to enslavement, not freedom."
                            I agree with that.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

the pope has... popped off...(gone up to see my pop! haha.) we all expected it. he did too. we knew he was ready after all, wearing that rocket is pretty much a giveaway.
                              Typical. A perfect moment to keep in mind the next time Kimo gets his knickers in a twist over someone daring to use a Hawaiian word to describe a commercial product, or blaspheming a sacred culture by... well, doing any little thing he doesn't approve of.

Hey, I knew enough of Pope John Paul II to know I disagreed vehemently with him on "real world" issues - birth control, abortion, AIDS. Even my wife, raised Catholic, had a few colorful words to say at times. But looking at the big picture, and especially considering previous popes, the guy was remarkable. I mean, sure, he had strict and unforgiving views on moral issues, but for cryin' out loud, he's a religious leader, not some secular philosopher.

On the other hand, the guy went out of his way to reach Catholics outside of the first world, as well as reach out to other faiths (notably Jews). He was surprisingly willing to speak his mind on both moral and political (communism, war) issues, and held fast to them, regardless of the fallout. When his efforts and ideas were attacked by both orthodox Catholics and non-believers, I began to wonder if he might even be on the right path.

I'm learning a lot about him that I didn't know before (thanks to the wall-to-wall coverage), and since we're trying to give our children some semblance of a Catholic upbringing (with the full understanding that they're free to reject it and worship Bob Dobbs later if they want to), I've come to appreciate a lot of what Pope John Paul II meant to Catholics. And to be sure, even among Catholics, there are a lot of mixed feelings.

But there are and were few humans who touched people, globally, like this man did. And considering how much one's faith means to some people, I'm not about to go all stomping on the man's legacy before he's even buried. It strikes me how out of bounds some people thought criticizing Ronald Reagan was upon his death, considering he was a politician, compared to the Pope bashing out there now.

I imagine none of us alive today will know, ultimately, what Pope John Paul II's ultimate effect on the world will be. So I just wish him well, and wish peace and comfort to those who loved him.

Comment

Working...
                              X