Hawaii Threads Photo Scavenger Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Threads Photo Scavenger Hunt

OK, I've got an idea. Actually, my friend Lee Gum had the idea, but I had the idea to take his idea and deploy it here as the next Hawaii Threads "contest"! I mean, we gotta do something to try and fill the hole left by the ending of Scrivener's Trivia Game, right?

Details will come in a few days. I haven't worked out all the particulars yet, but it will work something like this:

Contest will be open to registered Hawaii Threads users (who have actually posted something publicly on Hawaii Threads!). You'll have to fill in a form on my web site (I'll post the url when ready) requesting an account in my photo gallery. I'll set up the requested accounts for participants.

Then, periodically I'll publish a "subject" for the contest photo. The subjects wil be open to your interpretation as photographic artists. But for example, one subject might be "aloha" and it would be up to you as to how your photo shows or expresses aloha.

You would then go to your photo gallery and post the resulting photo, with any artist's notes you deem appropriate or helpful in understanding your interpretation. (One photo per assigned subject.)

In all there may be 12 subjects, maybe more. We'll see how it goes.

I am not at all sure how the photos will be judged and what would constitute a "winner." I am open to suggestions by interested parties.

I'm thinking I'll have "divisions" for regular digital photos with a point-and-shoot camera, camera phone photos and maybe a professional category for guys who either do this for a living or are using high-end digital photo equipment. (It'll be Scout's Honor -- I know who you are!) Any other suggestions?

What do you guys think? Reply here and if there's enough interest, I'll crank it up on my end.

Aloha,

Blaine
    Last edited by zztype; April 4, 2005, 09:38 PM. Reason: Screwed up the name of the BBS!!!
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Re: Hawaii Threads Photo Scavenger Hunt

Originally posted by zztype
    OK, I've got an idea. Actually, my friend Lee Gum had the idea, but I had the idea to take his idea and deploy it here as the next Hawaii Threads "contest"!
    whoseever, it's a helluvan idea. chance 'um!

I'll crank it up on my end.
    Now, THAT I wanna see a photo of.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      Now, THAT I wanna see a photo of.
      Uh oh. I can hear it now... "GET A ROOM!"

Comment

Interesting! I might be able to capture a thing or two, considering I'm a moblogging fiend. (So much so that my "real" digicam is often left at home, meaning some shots I really like are now only captured in blurry, low-resolution glory.) I suppose you'd have to be a digital photography buff to participate, though.

When I read your thread title, I was thinking of a game like this: You post a photo of a local spot, probably tightly cropped, and we all PM guesses as to what it is. This building, that corner, this statue... perhaps as a future game, one that won't be limited to shooters?

Oh, and also, HawaiiStories has a decent photo gallery setup, if managing it on your site turns out to be too hairy.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          When I read your thread title, I was thinking of a game like this: You post a photo of a local spot, probably tightly cropped, and we all PM guesses as to what it is. This building, that corner, this statue...
          Awesome! We'll hold that for the next one. That could be fun, too.

Comment

My questions are:
            1. When does it start?
            2. How long do we have to complete one subject photo?

Comment

Awesome! We'll hold that for the next one. That could be fun, too.

didn't the weekly do that a few years ago?
              or da advertizahhhh...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                This building, that corner, this statue... perhaps as a future game, one that won't be limited to shooters?

Ssssssh! I'm working on something exactly like this for June!
                Of course, that doesn't mean someone else can't do it, too!
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Reply here and if there's enough interest, I'll crank it up on my end.
                  You can count me and my LG phone in.
                  Disclosure: I was, for about a year, technically a professional photographer, but if I told you what I was getting paid to take pictures of, you'd laugh and say that's not photography.

As for determining a winner, you could put some kind of vote system in, or have a volunteer jury decide on the best photos.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                    My questions are:
                    1. When does it start?
                    2. How long do we have to complete one subject photo?
                    1. Pretty soon.

2. How long you want?

Your suggestions are welcome. What would be comfortable to you?

Blaine

Comment

I am not at all sure how the photos will be judged and what would constitute a "winner." I am open to suggestions by interested parties.
                      Maybe all the participants can be the judges. You just can't vote for your own photo. Everyone can PM you with their pick and the one with the most votes wins that catagory. Just a suggestion.....
                      So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I am not much of a photographer, however, I do have a digital camera and always game....

Sounds like a great idea. Anything to fill the void left by the ending of the Trivia Game.....
                        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

ENTRY FORM Hawaii Threads Photo Contest

Here you go folks. If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and when I get a bunch of people all set up with galleries, we'll start the contest!

The galleries will be set up at http://www.zztype.com/gallery/hawaiithreads

Wheee! Here we go!

Aloha,

Blaine

Comment

1. Pretty soon.

2. How long you want?

Your suggestions are welcome. What would be comfortable to you?
                            I think between now and the April 15 (or 20th) one needs to finish up the filing of the tax returns. You might want to give oh maybe 2 to 4 days to do a photo shoot assignment.

Comment

April 15 taxes: Absolutely. I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't done mine yet, so I'm squeezing this contest setup past my wife. She thinks I'm working on taxes or client web sites or something!!!

I agree, I was thinking about one every three to four days...

I'll be posting a sample gallery with my photos in it, in response to the topics in the contest. Of course, I'm not entered, as I'm running it. So mine will be for example.

Blaine

Comment

Working...
                              X