PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Threads Photo Scavenger Hunt

zztype
April 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM
OK, I've got an idea. Actually, my friend Lee Gum had the idea, but I had the idea to take his idea and deploy it here as the next Hawaii Threads "contest"! I mean, we gotta do something to try and fill the hole left by the ending of Scrivener's Trivia Game, right?

Details will come in a few days. I haven't worked out all the particulars yet, but it will work something like this:

Contest will be open to registered Hawaii Threads users (who have actually posted something publicly on Hawaii Threads!). You'll have to fill in a form on my web site (I'll post the url when ready) requesting an account in my photo gallery. I'll set up the requested accounts for participants.

Then, periodically I'll publish a "subject" for the contest photo. The subjects wil be open to your interpretation as photographic artists. But for example, one subject might be "aloha" and it would be up to you as to how your photo shows or expresses aloha.

You would then go to your photo gallery and post the resulting photo, with any artist's notes you deem appropriate or helpful in understanding your interpretation. (One photo per assigned subject.)

In all there may be 12 subjects, maybe more. We'll see how it goes.

I am not at all sure how the photos will be judged and what would constitute a "winner." I am open to suggestions by interested parties.

I'm thinking I'll have "divisions" for regular digital photos with a point-and-shoot camera, camera phone photos and maybe a professional category for guys who either do this for a living or are using high-end digital photo equipment. (It'll be Scout's Honor -- I know who you are!) Any other suggestions?

What do you guys think? Reply here and if there's enough interest, I'll crank it up on my end.

Aloha,

Blaine

kimo55
April 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM
OK, I've got an idea. Actually, my friend Lee Gum had the idea, but I had the idea to take his idea and deploy it here as the next Hawaii Threads "contest"!

whoseever, it's a helluvan idea. chance 'um!

I'll crank it up on my end.

Now, THAT I wanna see a photo of.

zztype
April 4th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Now, THAT I wanna see a photo of.
Uh oh. I can hear it now... "GET A ROOM!"

pzarquon
April 4th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Interesting! I might be able to capture a thing or two, considering I'm a moblogging fiend (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii). (So much so that my "real" digicam is often left at home, meaning some shots I really like are now only captured in blurry, low-resolution glory.) I suppose you'd have to be a digital photography buff to participate, though.

When I read your thread title, I was thinking of a game like this: You post a photo of a local spot, probably tightly cropped, and we all PM guesses as to what it is. This building, that corner, this statue... perhaps as a future game, one that won't be limited to shooters?

Oh, and also, HawaiiStories has a decent photo gallery (http://www.hawaiistories.com/gallery) setup, if managing it on your site turns out to be too hairy.

zztype
April 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM
When I read your thread title, I was thinking of a game like this: You post a photo of a local spot, probably tightly cropped, and we all PM guesses as to what it is. This building, that corner, this statue...
Awesome! We'll hold that for the next one. That could be fun, too.

helen
April 4th, 2005, 10:42 PM
My questions are:

When does it start?
How long do we have to complete one subject photo?

kimo55
April 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Awesome! We'll hold that for the next one. That could be fun, too.

didn't the weekly do that a few years ago?
or da advertizahhhh...

scrivener
April 4th, 2005, 10:58 PM
This building, that corner, this statue... perhaps as a future game, one that won't be limited to shooters?

Ssssssh! I'm working on something exactly like this for June!
Of course, that doesn't mean someone else can't do it, too!

scrivener
April 4th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Reply here and if there's enough interest, I'll crank it up on my end.

You can count me and my LG phone in.
Disclosure: I was, for about a year, technically a professional photographer, but if I told you what I was getting paid to take pictures of, you'd laugh and say that's not photography.

As for determining a winner, you could put some kind of vote system in, or have a volunteer jury decide on the best photos.

zztype
April 5th, 2005, 05:12 AM
My questions are:

When does it start?
How long do we have to complete one subject photo?

1. Pretty soon.

2. How long you want?

Your suggestions are welcome. What would be comfortable to you?

Blaine

Kalei99
April 5th, 2005, 05:32 AM
I am not at all sure how the photos will be judged and what would constitute a "winner." I am open to suggestions by interested parties.

Maybe all the participants can be the judges. You just can't vote for your own photo. Everyone can PM you with their pick and the one with the most votes wins that catagory. Just a suggestion..... :)

Moto
April 5th, 2005, 05:51 AM
I am not much of a photographer, however, I do have a digital camera and always game....

Sounds like a great idea. Anything to fill the void left by the ending of the Trivia Game.....

zztype
April 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Here you go folks. If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and when I get a bunch of people all set up with galleries, we'll start the contest!

http://www.zztype.com/hawaiithreads/

The galleries will be set up at http://www.zztype.com/gallery/hawaiithreads

Wheee! Here we go!

Aloha,

Blaine

helen
April 5th, 2005, 08:24 PM
1. Pretty soon.

2. How long you want?

Your suggestions are welcome. What would be comfortable to you?

I think between now and the April 15 (or 20th) one needs to finish up the filing of the tax returns. You might want to give oh maybe 2 to 4 days to do a photo shoot assignment.

zztype
April 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
April 15 taxes: Absolutely. I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't done mine yet, so I'm squeezing this contest setup past my wife. She thinks I'm working on taxes or client web sites or something!!! :eek:

I agree, I was thinking about one every three to four days...

I'll be posting a sample gallery with my photos in it, in response to the topics in the contest. Of course, I'm not entered, as I'm running it. So mine will be for example.

Blaine

mel
April 5th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Here you go folks. If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and when I get a bunch of people all set up with galleries, we'll start the contest!

http://www.zztype.com/hawaiithreads/

:confused: Questions:

1. Upon filling the form out, will our personal information be published on your website? I would only want my hawaiithreads user name to be visible, not personal information.

2. Are contestants limited to only one of the 3 camera type catergories? I have more than one camera type... point and shoot digital and film, 35mm SLR, digital SLR, old photos.

3. Are old photos eligible?

pzarquon
April 5th, 2005, 09:57 PM
You might want to explain "Link to HawaiiThreads Post" - I guessed that you wanted a link to a post I made to prove I'm a member, but that was just a guess. Also, linking an individual post is a bit odd -- I'd suggest folks use the white "#" link at the top right of each post for this field (if this is what it's for!).

zztype
April 5th, 2005, 10:04 PM
No, no, no, heck no. I ask for that info just so I know who I'm giving access to on my server. I promise I will not sell your name to a spammer!!! I swear!!!! I figure if you'll give me that info, I can trust you not to get nutz on my server and make trouble.

Take a look at the gallery I set up. There are already a few people set up in there. You would be set up no different.

I never considered "cross category" entries. I really didn't think of film, as you would have to scan or otherwise digitize the photo to stick it on the gallery. Therefore, I would probably consider that "regular."

Can you enter more than one category? *shrug* Why? You not goin' win nuttin, at least as it stands now. (I gotta scrape up some cash for decent prizes.) :)

Sheesh, Mel! Old photos? I didn't think of that, either. I don't have enough money for prizes on 12 divisions! I guess I was thinking more of "new" photos, or more recent photos. I guess if you have them, and they fit the category, you can use them. What the heck. But the archival stuff from Honoka'a in the 1970s probably doesn't fit with what we're getting at here.

Does that answer your questions?

Blaine

zztype
April 5th, 2005, 10:12 PM
You might want to explain "Link to HawaiiThreads Post" - I guessed that you wanted a link to a post I made to prove I'm a member, but that was just a guess. Also, linking an individual post is a bit odd -- I'd suggest folks use the white "#" link at the top right of each post for this field (if this is what it's for!).

Yes, that was just to "prove" you are a regular HawaiiThreads user and not just some lurker. The link to a HawaiiStories Post box asks for an url to a post you made to prove your active status.

Of course, I know who all of you guys are... you could link to disneyland.com and I would figure it out. But if anyone I don't know enters, at least I'll have some indication of who the are.

mel
April 5th, 2005, 10:22 PM
No, no, no, heck no. I ask for that info just so I know who I'm giving access to on my server. I promise I will not sell your name to a spammer!!! I swear!!!! I figure if you'll give me that info, I can trust you not to get nutz on my server and make trouble.

Oh Blaine, I wasn't worried about you selling names to spammers. I just don't want this information to be easily made available. If it is only my username, I'm ok.

I never considered "cross category" entries. I really didn't think of film, as you would have to scan or otherwise digitize the photo to stick it on the gallery. Therefore, I would probably consider that "regular."

So "regular" can include all point and shoot (digital or digitized film prints), SLR (both digital and film).... right??? Or digital SLR have to be in the pro-category?

Can you enter more than one category? *shrug* Why? You not goin' win nuttin, at least as it stands now. (I gotta scrape up some cash for decent prizes.) :)

Prizes are not my motivation in entering, just seeing to see if I can actually shoot within the topics that may be presented. I never won anything in Scrivener's contest, don't expect to win anything in this one. Never entered with the intent of winning... just participating. Like Scrivener's game, I never played it everyday and I suspect the same in yours. Those who play more have a better chance of getting higher scores than those who play less. I have no problem with that.

Sheesh, Mel! Old photos? I didn't think of that, either. I don't have enough money for prizes on 12 divisions! I guess I was thinking more of "new" photos, or more recent photos. I guess if you have them, and they fit the category, you can use them. What the heck. But the archival stuff from Honoka'a in the 1970s probably doesn't fit with what we're getting at here.

No, I certainly don't expect to include any Honokaa photos in this. However I do already have thousands of digital photos already taken and if something fits, why invent the wheel all over again????

I dunno, I just thought I ask some questions before I decide to play with this. I have no intent of wrecking your server. I don't think anyone can since you are Mac based... ;)

You'd have more concerns if you were running one on Windoze.

zztype
April 5th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Tellya what, Mel. Your DSLR/SLR stuff I'd consider pro-level or pro-sumer equipment. The "regular" division was for everyday point-and-shoot photography without the benefit of interchangable lenses, flash umbrellas, etc.

If you want an album in both Regular and Big Boi category, for you, considering who you are, I'd give you both!

I don't think I'll get too many cross-category applicants, but what the heck, let's go for it.

And I agree, you don't have to "reinvent the wheel." You can use what you already have if it fits. Preferably it will be new stuff that hasn't run before on the cover of Time Magazine or something like that. :)

Aloha,

Blaine

P.S., Serves me right for rolling with this half-baked idea!!!! :)

mel
April 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I have to wonder why a DSLR would be considered exclusively pro-equipment when a lot of amateurs (like myself) own one. I am not really shooting anything "professional" these days. Cover of Time? That'll be the day... :)

scrivener
April 5th, 2005, 10:39 PM
P.S., Serves me right for rolling with this half-baked idea!!!! :)

Now there's a great idea for a first theme: "Half-Baked." Hmmm...the possibilities seem endless!

zztype
April 5th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Simple: Because the DSLR has the benefit of a wide variety of lenses, flash, exposure and resolution options that point-and-shoot just can't come close to.

Come on, I had to split it up somehow. I don't want the SLR/DSLR competing with point and shoot.

You wouldn't put the DSLR against Camera Phones, right?

mel
April 5th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Yes, you got a point regarding DSLR vs. P&S vs. Cameraphone. Maybe I'll just use my old TLR... :)

mel
April 5th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Here are a few more technical points to consider:

1. Point and shoot these days can include anything from the real cheap 1 megapixel $19 digital camera I seen for sale at WalMart to those Nikon Coolpix 7900 and 8800 cameras, which are like DSLRs except that you can't remove the lens. Ditto for the Canon S1, a 3.2 megapixel camera that has a 10x optical zoom. Sony has some pretty high end P&S cameras too. Are these point and shoots? Certainly they are not DSLRs since the lenses cannot be physically changed.

2. Will there be some kind of resolution threshold or limit to the size of photos submitted? A megapixel range or size range (like say 400 pixels wide)?

3. There are some cameraphones that probably rival some of the P&S cameras these days in terms of picture clarity. I think I read somewhere that Samsung now has a cameraphone that has a 7 megapixel camera in it.

4. What about enhanced photos done in photoshop? Will only the raw unedited camera file be eligible or will users be able to photoshop their pictures for sharpness, saturation, etc.? If not, that leaves out scanned photos and a lot of old photos taken with film cameras as nearly all of these are photoshopped in some way.

I know, I know... more questions.

helen
April 5th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Another question. While I have a whole bunch of (cheap) digital cameras, I sort of have it down to two different cameras depending on what needs to be done. Do I need to stick to one camera during the "Scavenger Hunt"?

zztype
April 6th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Another question. While I have a whole bunch of (cheap) digital cameras, I sort of have it down to two different cameras depending on what needs to be done. Do I need to stick to one camera during the "Scavenger Hunt"?

Nah, use what you got. Only concern is if you're using high-end equipment, you should check yourself into the Big Boi ward instead of sneaking into the cheapo category. :)

Blaine

pzarquon
April 6th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Big Boi? What about, you know, non-male semi-pro photographers? :p I can think of at least one, here...

zztype
April 6th, 2005, 05:25 AM
1. Point and shoot these days can include anything from the real cheap 1 megapixel $19 digital camera I seen for sale at WalMart to those Nikon Coolpix 7900 and 8800 cameras, which are like DSLRs except that you can't remove the lens. Ditto for the Canon S1, a 3.2 megapixel camera that has a 10x optical zoom. Sony has some pretty high end P&S cameras too. Are these point and shoots? Certainly they are not DSLRs since the lenses cannot be physically changed.

If you go read my original post, notice I say that the "pro" division is "Scout's Honor." If you're using high-end equipment, you should check yourself into the Big Boi ward instead of sneaking into the cheapo category. :) It's pretty much left up to you to be honest.

2. Will there be some kind of resolution threshold or limit to the size of photos submitted? A megapixel range or size range (like say 400 pixels wide)?

Nah, the Gallery software will resize the photos on the fly for Thumbnail, Display and Full-Size views. Go take a look at the sample I posted. If you click the thumbnail, you see the Display size, which was sampled to 640 wide by the software. If you click the Display size photo, you'll see the Full size photo. You upload a "high" quality JPEG photo to the Gallery, it does the rest. Neat software, and free! http://gallery.sourceforge.net

3. There are some cameraphones that probably rival some of the P&S cameras these days in terms of picture clarity. I think I read somewhere that Samsung now has a cameraphone that has a 7 megapixel camera in it.

Come on, now. I had to cut it off someplace. Ho da technical!

4. What about enhanced photos done in photoshop? Will only the raw unedited camera file be eligible or will users be able to photoshop their pictures for sharpness, saturation, etc.? If not, that leaves out scanned photos and a lot of old photos taken with film cameras as nearly all of these are photoshopped in some way.

Standard crop, brighten, rotate, sharpen, etc. operations in Photoshop are perfectly permissible. However, remember, it's NOT a Photoshop contest. Overprocessing an image in Photoshop will not get you more "points." "Photo-Illustration" was not one of the categories.

zztype
April 6th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Big Boi? What about, you know, non-male semi-pro photographers? :p I can think of at least one, here...
YIKES! You killin' me!!!

Kalei99
April 6th, 2005, 09:29 AM
April 15 taxes: Absolutely. I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't done mine yet, so I'm squeezing this contest setup past my wife. She thinks I'm working on taxes or client web sites or something!!! :eek:

Haaaanaaaaa, I'm telling! :D Did Jeanie have a good Birthday?

zztype
April 6th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Registration for the contest has slowed, so here's a recap of what's up in this thread for those folks joining us late.

The HawaiiThreads.com Photo Contest will be open to registered Hawaii Threads users (who have actually posted something publicly on Hawaii Threads!). You'll have to fill in a form on my web site [see below] requesting an account in my photo gallery. I'll set up the requested accounts for participants.

Then, periodically I'll publish a "subject" for the contest photo. The subjects wil be open to your interpretation as photographic artists. But for example, one subject might be "aloha" and it would be up to you as to how your photo shows or expresses aloha.

You would then go to your photo gallery and post the resulting photo, with any artist's notes you deem appropriate or helpful in understanding your interpretation. (One photo per assigned subject.)

In all there may be 12 subjects, maybe more. We'll see how it goes. I'll post a new one every 4 to 7 days.

I am not at all sure how the photos will be judged and what would constitute a "winner." I am open to suggestions by interested parties. I may put up online voting, with some controls to prevent stuffing the ballot box.

There are "divisions" for Regular digital (and film, if you want to scan them) photos with a point-and-shoot camera, Camera Phone photos and a "Big Boi" professional category for guys who either do this for a living or are using high-end digital/SLR photo equipment. (It'll be Scout's Honor -- I know who you are!)

If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and when I get a bunch of people all set up with galleries, we'll start the contest! http://www.zztype.com/hawaiithreads/

Those of you who have already signed up and been assigned albums in the gallery, please use the "aloha" topic for your first test upload. Leave it in there once you get it up. Add a caption for practice.

I won't be "competing." My ZZType album is to set the example for the rest of you. You can watch it and I'll be posting my interpretations of my own assigned contest topics.

Aloha,

Blaine

kimo55
April 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM
woops. mistaeake

zztype
April 7th, 2005, 12:15 PM
What... is wrong with this picture?
With respect to what? This contest? It's not your own original work, for one.

kimo55
April 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM
With respect to what? This contest? It's not your own original work, for one.

sorry. placed in wrong thread.
(hilahila... didn't meant to hijack another thread!)

zztype
April 7th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Oh! E kala mai, then!

zztype
April 7th, 2005, 08:18 PM
OK, this seems to be losing a bit of steam, so let's start it off already. If any stragglers come in later, they can always catch up.

Let's begin with Scrivener's suggestion for the first topic for our little contest:

Photo Contest Topic No. 1: HALF-BAKED
Go for it, folks. Photograph your vision of "half-baked" and upload it to your galleries. Add a caption to your photo to enhance the viewer's understanding of what you are trying to say.

Please begin your caption with the words, "HALF-BAKED:," all in caps, like the example:

HALF-BAKED: Ths is my half-baked attempt at a clever contest. Oh well!

We'll let this run for a few days and then post another when everyone has posted their photo.

Didi Ah Yo!

scrivener
April 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
If registration doesn't pick up considerably, I propose we do away with the divisions and just have a free-for-all among whoever's participating. The jury's smart enough to know a good picture when it sees one, whether it's on high-end gear or my cute little cam-phone. If we lose the divisions, I'll be free to play around with other gear, too, such as my favorite old Olympus SLR.

zztype
April 7th, 2005, 10:07 PM
True. Let's give it a day or two. The "divisions" were just to keep the pro's from running roughshod over others who might be just fooling with tech toys. But I don't see a huge rush to participate.

If anyone is thinking it might be fun to participate, but something said here is causing reservations, please, I encourage you to just jump in and play! This is only for fun. No mean people here!

Blaine

helen
April 7th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I finally managed to post a photo with Aloha as the test subject but I got to admit Mel had the same idea I had.

zztype
April 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I have to admit, Mel got a smile out of me when I saw that Aloha jet!

zztype
April 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
What kind(s) of cameras are you using for the photo contest? (And what other cameras do you like to play with?)

I'm primarily using an Olympus c3020z 3.2 megapixel point-and-shoot (3020z photos) (http://kapalama.ksbe.edu/photogallery/album503) . This is about the 5th or 6th Olympus I've owned so far. I like the tonal quality of the photos that come out of my Oly's. Blaine's Pix (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/fergie)

I also have a Canon EOS Rebel-S SLR film camera and an EOS 300d Digital Rebel, (and a bunch of accessories) but I'm not using them for this contest.

The wife has a couple of Sony digital cameras, one the "Sushi Cam" 2 megapixel, and a newer really compact Sony 5 megapixel.

My son killed his Olympus D340R digital (Alex's D340R Photos) (http://kapalama.ksbe.edu/photogallery/alex) and eventually ended up with an Olympus D575z 3.2 megapixel. Here's Alex's Other Photo Gallery (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/alex)

Kalei99
April 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM
What kind(s) of cameras are you using for the photo contest? (And what other cameras do you like to play with?)

Look out everyone! I have a Cannon PowerShot S10 at 2.1 megapixels. WooooHooo... this puppy is at it's prime. Only 5 years old!

It's sad to think that my 10 year old nephew has a newer and better camera than me....

But when I reeeeaaaaallllly want a great picture.... I go for my Simpson's 35MM Disposable Camera WITH Flash (http://store1.yimg.com/I/ecamerafilms_1836_2083678)! :cool:

kimo55
April 8th, 2005, 11:51 AM
But when I reeeeaaaaallllly want a great picture.... I go for my Simpson's 35MM Disposable Camera WITH Flash (http://store1.yimg.com/I/ecamerafilms_1836_2083678)! :cool:

Say
D'ooohhh!

Keith H.
April 8th, 2005, 01:35 PM

My primary camera is a Casio QV-2000UX, 2.1 Mpixel point and shoot, about 5-6 years old, but has all the bells and whistles (shutter priority, aperture priority, etc.)

Linkmeister
April 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Since I am a dinosaur, I still have a film camera (Canon A-1), and I don't take enough pictures to get 'em developed/digitized in time to participate. I am looking, though, and I notice that Office Depot and Circuit City both have the Canon A400 (http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=933136&location_info=SG_3_DV_19_CT_1901_SK_933136) on sale for $149.99. I realize it's the entry-level model, but I'm a snapshotter anyway, not a semi-pro, so I think it might do for me. Anybody agree/disagree?

kimo55
April 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Got my dad's Canon AE-1.
still works great.
power winder kaputski, tho.
Love the digital life but am equally enamoured with da ol skool way, my roots; Analog, where you manually control everything, then, like a traitor, take the roll of film to costco, make one cd.

(roll of film. as archaic as the term L.P. or vinyl album.)

also have a JVC digital camcorder. sooooo handy. movies and stills.

LikaNui
April 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM
then, like a traitor, take the roll of film to costco
Costco?!?!?
:eek:
HaAAAAAAAHHHHH!
:D

mel
April 8th, 2005, 02:35 PM

My 3 primary digital cameras:

- Canon 300D "Digital Rebel" DSLR
- Sony Cybershot P50
- Sony Cybershot U30

The one I use the most is the U30 because it is tiny and I can carry it everwhere I go. I like my Canon, but it is humbug to haul around in its bag with the lenses and flash... but when I need it, I am very happy it is there.

I also use my P50 a lot too if I like to do something better than the U30 (zooming mainly)....

Other cameras that I sometimes use (all film):

- Minolta X700 35mm SLR
- Minolta SRT 101 35mm SLR
- Minolta XD5 35mm SLR
- Minolta TLR 2 1/4
- Olympus Accura 35mm P&S
- Fujifilm disposable 35mm

Keith H.
April 8th, 2005, 08:16 PM
OK, I've posted mine.

Kalei99
April 9th, 2005, 06:12 AM
My idea of half baked (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/album89/Half_Baked?full=1) is posted! :eek:

helen
April 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Right now my primary cameras for this contest are:

SiPix SC-3300 for outdoor/indoor/low light conditions.
Aiptek DV-4100 for outdoor conditions or when I need to do a video with sound.

zztype
April 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Not too late to participate!

If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and when I get a bunch of people all set up with galleries, we'll start the contest! http://www.zztype.com/hawaiithreads/

scrivener
April 10th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Here's mine (www.zztype.com/gallery/album87/campfire2).

mel
April 11th, 2005, 06:43 AM
From my recent file archive, a half-baked photo (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/view_photo.php?id=waikiki20) of tourists at Waikiki Beach. Not very original, but hey, I don't have time for any baking.

Keith H.
April 11th, 2005, 08:05 AM
From my recent file archive, a half-baked photo (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/view_photo.php?id=waikiki20) of tourists at Waikiki Beach. Not very original, but hey, I don't have time for any baking.

More original than mine, that's for sure. Another 20 minutes and your tourists would be fully baked and on their way to burnt. :)

helen
April 11th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Submitted my half-baked (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/album86/half_baked) entry on couple of days ago.

Are we supposed to post here when our entry has been submitted?

zztype
April 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I'm getting ready to post the next topic shortly. But posting here when you've posted your entry on the gallery keeps everybody in the loop.

Blaine

kimo55
April 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I'm getting ready to post the next topic shortly. But posting here when you've posted your entry on the gallery keeps everybody in the loop.

Blaine

"in the loop"
ahaa .. good theme for nex one.

Linkmeister
April 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Trying to comment on a photo is, um, trying. I get a notice that I have to have a "name and comment" required. I did that, but I keep getting the same alarm.

On a separate note, I just bought a camera, so if it gets here within the week like it's supposed to, maybe I'll be able to submit something, if I can find suitable subjects.

helen
April 11th, 2005, 04:35 PM
You need to login first to enter a comment.

zztype
April 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM
And I need to create a user account before you can log in.
Blaine

Keith H.
April 11th, 2005, 09:09 PM
On a separate note, I just bought a camera, so if it gets here within the week like it's supposed to, maybe I'll be able to submit something, if I can find suitable subjects.

Actually, now that you mention it, I just bought a new camera too. No, this contest had nothing to do with it...I had my eye on a certain model (Canon PowerShot A85) and I was finally able to get it at CompUSA for a bargain price. But, that having been said, this'll be the perfect way to break the new camera in, no? :)

zztype
April 11th, 2005, 10:10 PM
TIME FOR ANOTHER CONTEST PHOTO TOPIC! Here's where we are, to date:

TEST TOPIC: ALOHA

REAL TOPICS:
1. HALF-BAKED posted 4/7/05 (suggested by Scrivener)
2. IN THE LOOP posted 4/11/05 (suggested by Kimo55)*

*Or OUT OF THE LOOP or LOOP THE LOOP!!! (I added these, for fun!)

Folks, feel free to use archival stuff, whatever you got, bring it, already!

Anybody who hasn't entered yet, no shame, jump right in! If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and I'll get you set up with a gallery. It shouldn't be too hard to catch up with the herd: http://www.zztype.com/hawaiithreads/

The galleries are at: http://www.zztype.com/gallery/hawaiithreads

Stop by and check out the entries so far!

Aloha,

Blaine

DaveNSoKona
April 12th, 2005, 08:15 AM
I posted some pics for "aloha" and "half-baked". What exactly is "in-the-loop"?
just current personal events? (Yes, I did a search :p )

FYI - I have one of these Galleries myself at:

Kona Mist Gallery (http://www.konamist.info/gallery/albums.php) :)

zztype
April 12th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Heh.... what did "Half-Baked" mean?? :)

IN THE LOOP, OUT OF THE LOOP, LOOP THE LOOP, TOODLE-LOOP...!!!

It means whatever you interpret it to mean, though your photographic art!

How's that?

Blaine

========================

Anybody who hasn't entered yet, no shame, jump right in! If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and I'll get you set up with a gallery. It shouldn't be too hard to catch up with the herd: http://www.zztype.com/hawaiithreads/

Linkmeister
April 12th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Actually, now that you mention it, I just bought a new camera too. No, this contest had nothing to do with it...I had my eye on a certain model (Canon PowerShot A85) and I was finally able to get it at CompUSA for a bargain price. But, that having been said, this'll be the perfect way to break the new camera in, no? :)

I got the Canon SD110 Elph. It comes with a 16mb SD card, which seems to be a little small ( :eek: ), and it won't be here for a while (although Amazon tells me it shipped yesterday). If the MSRP is to be believed, I got it at about a 50% discount.

scrivener
April 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Not very original, but hey, I don't have time for any baking.

Bikini-clad women, slowly roasting on a sandy beach? You got my vote, pal!

zztype
April 12th, 2005, 10:04 PM
My IN THE LOOP (or more like LOOP THE LOOP) example is posted in the contest gallery. Go checkum go. Not too sweet...!

========================

kimo55
April 12th, 2005, 10:29 PM
My IN THE LOOP (or more like LOOP THE LOOP) example is posted in the contest gallery. Go checkum go. Not too sweet...!

the pam honey looks half baked.
(when fully baked, honey turns from crystallized to almost liquid.)
eh. and da jackalope is a half baked natures creation.

and dat bruddah who wen autograph yer baseball prolly thot you may have been half baked.

Kalei99
April 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM
My Loop pictcha is posted (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/album89/Munro_Loop_Trail_lanai?full=1) - not too loopy but a loop nonetheless. :o

zztype
April 15th, 2005, 09:33 AM

REAL TOPICS:
3. IT'S ALL ME! posted 4/15/05 (self-portrait, of sorts)

(Eh, no grumbo, be humbo! Can be your left nostril if that is what you consider representative of "IT'S ALL ME!")

========================

Kalei99
April 16th, 2005, 08:48 PM
It's not ALL about me - only half (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/album89/allaboutme?full=1)... :o

kimo55
April 17th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Registration for the contest has slowed, so here's a recap of what's up in this thread for those folks joining us late.

The HawaiiThreads.com Photo Contest will be open to registered Hawaii Threads users (who have actually posted something publicly on Hawaii Threads!). You'll have to fill in a form on my web site [see below] requesting an account in my photo gallery.

"All fields on this form are mandatory and all information submitted must be verifiable. (I want to KNOW who has access to my server!)"

can there be a division of submitted photos for those that don't wanna fill in forms? where we can pop up a pic on the net, on our own server,... not necessarily have it in that particular gallery?

zztype
April 17th, 2005, 01:38 PM
can there be a division of submitted photos for those that don't wanna fill in forms? where we can pop up a pic on the net, on our own server,... not necessarily have it in that particular gallery?Shuah. Why not? Postum wherever and link your entries here in a post. Sounds fine to me.

A hui hou,

Blaine

kimo55
April 17th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Shuah. Why not? Postum wherever and link your entries here in a post. Sounds fine to me.

A hui hou,

Blaine

Ok. Entry name:
it' s "all about me"
www.tikitv.com/allaboutme.jpg

mahalos.

woops. just noticed entry title s/b:
"it's all me".
hope that doesn't disqualify...

DaveNSoKona
April 17th, 2005, 04:29 PM
IT'S ALL ME!
link (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/DaveNSoKona). Don't worry, it's not a picture of me...some of my artwork.

kimo55
April 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM
IT'S ALL ME!
link (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/DaveNSoKona). Don't worry, it's not a picture of me...some of my artwork.

Verrry creative.
too cool.

DaveNSoKona
April 17th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Next contest suggestion: "My Hawaii"

Example: turtle (http://www.konamist.info/gallery/09-13-04/DSC00359)

Thanks Kimo, and also the suggestion about submitting links.

mel
April 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Just caught up with photo posting in this contest.

In the loop?... More likely out of the loop. (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/album90/outofloop)

It's All Me... Don't ask for any more. (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/album90/longshadow)

Next....

kimo55
April 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Next contest suggestion: "My Hawaii"

ZZ?
next theme?
heah mine'ses steh:
http://www.tikitv.com/MyHawaiinew.jpeg

zztype
April 18th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Shuah. Why not?

REAL TOPICS:
3. IT'S ALL ME! posted 4/15/05 (self-portrait, of sorts)
4. MY HAWAII! posted 4/18/05 (sugg. by DaveNSoKona)

(Kimo, catch up with the Half-Baked and In The Loop photos. And when you post links to your latest, can you include the whole list with links, like I present the topics above...just to help us keep track of them.--Mahalo)

========================

pzarquon
April 19th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Catching up (http://www.zztype.com/gallery/pzarquon)!

kimo55
April 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM
(Kimo, catch up with the Half-Baked and In The Loop photos. And when you post links to your latest, can you include the whole list with links, like I present the topics above...just to help us keep track of them.--Mahalo)

ok, trying!

may I suggest anodda theme;
"made in da shade"

zztype
April 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Hello all. My apologies, but I am calling this contest closed as of this evening. If anyone wishes to keep it going, please email me off board (see http://zztype.com ) and let me know asap.

Otherwise, I will close this thread and will delete the albums and user accounts on my site.

Aloha,

Blaine

kimo55
April 20th, 2005, 12:44 PM
ok, one last one, cuz I found dis buggah and hadda do it.

http://www.tikitv.com/madeshade.jpg