misc. unrelated stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misc. unrelated stuff...

Wayne Harada in yesterday's column alludes to the ukulele as the CUKE.
    what da...

Hilo Hattie planning on opening a Waikiki store (bet it will be on lewers) and one in Las Vegas.
    They just opened one in the gaslamp district of S.D.

Re: misc. unrelated stuff...

Originally posted by kimo55
    Wayne Harada in yesterday's column alludes to the ukulele as the CUKE.
    what da...

Hilo Hattie planning on opening a Waikiki store (bet it will be on lewers) and one in Las Vegas.
    They just opened one in the gaslamp district of S.D.
    I'd really like to know how that HH store in SD is going to fare. It's smack dab in the middle of the most touristy part of town (near the convention center and all)...what makes the HH management think people visiting SD are immediately gonna slap themselves upside the head and say, "Wow! We can get "stuff" from Hawai'i without having to pay the plane fare to get it!"

LV might make a little more sense because so many Hawai'i expats live there now, we fondly call it the 9th island in the state of Hawai'i.

Duh...as it is, didn't they have to close down a shop in FL and a couple other mainland places (and downsize some shops in Hawai'i). I mean, come on, if somebody from Podunk, IA really wanted to get HH stuff, they could just as easily go online and buy the kitsch. The only thing they'd be missing are the shell leis (made in the Philippines) and the watered down punch or "Kona" coffee.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      I'd really like to know how that HH store in SD is going to fare. It's smack dab in the middle of the most touristy part of town (near the convention center and all)...what makes the HH management think people visiting SD are immediately gonna slap themselves upside the head and say, "Wow! We can get "stuff" from Hawai'i without having to pay the plane fare to get it!"

lotta locals hang gaslamp side.
      There is apparently a (...ahem) "tiki bar" there that just opened up. fregquented by locals...

so the hawaiiana kitch thing is still supported widely by those that want the tikitacky tropical erzats decor thing goin on at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        didn't HH have to close down a shop in FL and a couple other mainland places (and downsize some shops in Hawai'i).

due to bad planning, over assumption of the market and local needs...

Hawaii; not much downsizing; they have TWO stores in Ala Moana.
        One geared to malihini as well as kama'aina, (lotta tourist stuff and the requisite cartoon tiki plastic merchandise) and da odda one, is heavy emphasis on da kama'aiana market.
        and of course, they have their main outlet on nimitz.

'sfunny; they were a very tourist trade angled shop for sooo long. lately, they are pushing their merchandise to locals in big ad campaigns.
        thus requireing the inclusion of higher end, better designed, less garish, more subdued aloha shirts, as well as decent stuff that may fit into the kama'aina home; ok lookin lamps and plates and stuff. not da kine with goofy silly cartoon tikis on em.
        Last edited by kimo55; April 6, 2005, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          lotta locals hang gaslamp side.
          There is apparently a (...ahem) "tiki bar" there that just opened up. fregquented by locals...

so the hawaiiana kitch thing is still supported widely by those that want the tikitacky tropical erzats decor thing goin on at home.
          Yeah, but who is HH's primary clientele supposed to be? The locals who hang in that area, or the tourists who are in town for business? I don't think they can count on the locals going in there all the time and yeah, there is a sizable population of expats in the area, but I doubt that traffic alone can support a thriving business. (I only go in there for the things like slippah flyswatters and cheap calendars myself).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X