SBUX used grounds as soil enricher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBUX used grounds as soil enricher

The Mainland SBUX stores have been offering used coffee grounds in 5 lb bags for years, but now the Hawai'i Starbucks stores will start offering the used grounds, too.

Actually, it's a win-win proposition: Starbucks saves money because it doesn't have to spend money to haul the stuff away in their garbage bins, and consumers (and you don't even have to buy the coffee!) get a free soil nutrient for their gardens.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: SBUX used grounds as soil enricher

Originally posted by Miulang
    The Mainland SBUX stores have been offering used coffee grounds in 5 lb bags for years, but now the Hawai'i Starbucks stores will start offering the used grounds, too.
    I used this stuff in the potting soil of my prize orchids. Now all my flowers smell like kona coffee brewing.

tell me;
    Is that grounds for a lawsuit?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      I used this stuff in the potting soil of my prize orchids. Now all my flowers smell like kona coffee brewing.

tell me;
      Is that grounds for a lawsuit?
      Sounds like you've been brewing that joke for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Sounds like you've been brewing that joke for a while.

well, it's a variation of that ol';
        "I spilled coffee on my lap. Can I sue?
        "On what grounds?"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          well, it's a variation of that ol';
          "I spilled coffee on my lap. Can I sue?
          "On what grounds?"
          Yeah, that one's bean around for awhile. But Kimo espressos himself well anyway. "Better latte than never!"

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Yeah, that one's bean around for awhile. But Kimo espressos himself well anyway. "Better latte than never!"

Miulang

huhuhuuu..
            very good.
            (damn, she one upped me!)

Comment

coffee grounds are a great soil modifier but make sure it's cool before dumping it into your favorite potted plant's container and that most of the excess coffee is strained. Flowering and fruiting plants love an acidic soil and a good product is Miracle Grow's Muracid with these plants.

Coffee grounds offer an acidic compound to soil so it makes a great substitute for Muracid.

But Miulang...I think you got it backwards with SBUX. They don't use their coffee grounds as a soil enrichener...THEY USE SOIL FOR THEIR COFFEE that's why their coffee tastes so bad! Rim Shot!

Okay...then you might want to add some ground up egg shells to the mix of coffee grounds. That combination added to your compost makes for a super rich super soil potting mix. Make sure it's a twice over blending with the egg shells when composting so you don't introduce any harmful bacteria like salmonilla.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

"hey! This coffee tastes like MUD!"

"well, it was just ground this morning!"

Comment

Wait till Miulang logs in...she's a SBUX stockholder!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Ha! I bested Kimo (yesssss!). I'm glad he perked up when he saw my puns. I hope he doesn't drip on my parade now...Yeah, as a shareholder I'm bummed. I've been waiting for 2 years for my stock to split again. I'm also bummed that they didn't sell any Easter Bearistas in Seattle. Looks like they all went to Europe or Asia, dangit. Now I'm gonna have to coffee up some extra bux and get one via eBay. I have almost every single Bearista Bear since they first came out, including 2 highly prized Taiwanese Dragon Bearistas from 3 years ago.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                    X