Koa Wood refurbishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koa Wood refurbishing

My sister wanted to give her son a antique koa wood living room set. Consisting of one sofa size, two single chairs and a coffee table that is one of a kind. This set is old and just needs to be sanded down and revarnished. No termite damage, just the luster is gone from years of use. My son was going to but me brandnew furniture soon. I'm declining because I opted to take the Koa Wood furniture. Unlike my nephew, I know the furniture is worth money and has a rich history to it. Does anyone know what I need or how I can go about this project without ruining the Koa Furniture? Yeah, Kimo...I finally found a hobby! Any information, suggestions is most appreciated.

Malama pono,
    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Koa Wood refurbishing

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Does anyone know what I need or how I can go about this project without ruining the Koa Furniture? Any information, suggestions is most appreciated.

try spok em

http://www.martinandmacarthur.com/faq.html

email them for more da kine. they da mastahs of koa.
    or email or call or stop by dat koa workshop airport side.
    Last edited by kimo55; April 11, 2005, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Kimo, thank you very much. Here's an excerpt from their website that you gave me.

Q: How do we refinish koa?
      A: Option 1.)
      Strip off the existing finish down to bare wood (which is difficult if “Pledge” or other waxy polishes have been used). Then, resand in detail, steam out dings and finish as a new piece.

Option 2.)
      Especially with historic furniture, we sometimes only cleanup the piece, repair damaged parts and apply furniture wax. However, the piece will still look old.

Q: Are there different kinds of koa wood?
      A: Botanically, no. In terms of color, grain, figure etc., there are no two trees the same; there is a major variation with location.

Q: What makes koa a special wood?
      A: Variability, richness, luminescence, unique to Hawaii, most beautiful wood in the world.

Q: How can you tell the quality of koa wood furniture?
      A: a.) all pieces of wood in a furniture item match in color and grain.
      b.) accurately made, strong joints.
      c.) crisp details e.g. sharp edges.
      d.) consistent unobtrusive finish.
      e.) quality accessories, drawer slides, hardware etc.

This is not gonna be easy for me, esp. with my legs. I'm a tough cookie. I'm up to the challenge cause the end result will look beautiful. Will let you know the progress. No silly, not my mental illness...the koa furnitures!

Comment

Kimo, thank you very much. Here's an excerpt from their website that you gave me.

yea... I uhhh, read it.

Comment

My sister wanted to give her son a antique koa wood living room set. Consisting of one sofa size, two single chairs and a coffee table that is one of a kind. This set is old and just needs to be sanded down and revarnished. No termite damage, just the luster is gone from years of use. My son was going to but me brandnew furniture soon. I'm declining because I opted to take the Koa Wood furniture. Unlike my nephew, I know the furniture is worth money and has a rich history to it. Does anyone know what I need or how I can go about this project without ruining the Koa Furniture? Yeah, Kimo...I finally found a hobby! Any information, suggestions is most appreciated.

Malama pono,
          Auntie Lynn
          If it looks like the original finish I would go with Option 2 and maybe replace or get new coverings for the cushions. The value of the pieces will go down if you put the sandpaper to it and a new finish. Can you post any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
            If it looks like the original finish I would go with Option 2 and maybe replace or get new coverings for the cushions. The value of the pieces will go down if you put the sandpaper to it and a new finish. Can you post any pics?
            I'm going to my sister's home tomarrow. I'll take pics and ask my nephew to post it. I think I'll go with Option 2 or have it done by the professionals. It'll be worth it anyways. The pillows is the easy part. I'm thinking of a old hawaiiana pattern for the cover.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Threads Photo Scavenger Hunt

Ok people, i'm gonna need some help. I have a CanoScan Lide 50. I going take some pics tomarrow of the Koa furniture. How do I post it on the threads. I tried to post another pic of Antonio (my grandson) once but it didn't go through. I remember Ryan telling me I have to take out something from the browser but I forgot.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Comment

Working...
              X