Augie T. Gets Pied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augie T. Gets Pied

Today's Hawaii Tribune-Herald reports Augie T. got a banana cream pie in the face when he came Friday night to the Honokaa People's Theater to perform. An excerpt below:
    The woman was wearing a muumuu. She showed Tulba the homemade banana cream pie and handed him a letter. It began, "This pie's for you, Augie T. Stop promoting the U.S. military," and ended with, "This organic cream pie was made just for you by Aunty M. Perialist."

"When I asked, 'What was that about?' she threw the pie in my face," Tulba said. "When I yelled, 'Somebody call the cops,' she ran."

Police are now looking for the woman, described by witnesses as a slim "hippie-type" woman in her mid 30s to early 40s.

"If they find her, I'm going to press charges," Tulba said Monday. "She pied the wrong local guy."

The woman spoke to the Tribune-Herald but refused to give her name. She said she was protesting Tulba's radio commercials for the National Guard. "I do appreciate his work as an artist," she said, "but I'm not sure she appreciates the influence he has over impressionable young people about their life decisions."

Tulba, a 36-year-old morning radio personality on KDNN-FM on Oahu, said he's not advocating for the military but just reading commercials. "I'm not forcing anyone to join," he said. "The bottom line is she had no excuse to touch me. She turned it into a violent thing."...

[Tulba] mentioned that he's been invited to entertain soldiers in Iraq.

Tulba's Big Island promoter, Kawehi Stevens, said the pie protest made Tulba even more eager to go to Iraq. "Bob Hope never advocated war but Bob Hope went over there to entertain the troops," said Stevens.

Stevens said he witnessed the pie being "smashed" onto the comedian. "His face was totally cvovered. I couldn't even see his eyes," Stevens said....

The woman said she "gently" put the pie in Tulba's face, thinking the comedian would appreciate the humor.

He didn't. "Was not funny," Tulba said. "It was humiliating. And maybe she can think about it in jail."...

Officer Nicholas Muna said police are investigating the case as misdemeanor harassment. He said it's not considered assault because Tulba wasn't injured. "The difference between harassment and assault is, basically, injury," Muna said....

Re: Augie T. Gets Pied

Rolling on da floor....it wasn't me, it wasn't me. hahahahahahaha

I have to wonder if I know the broad.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

That's fascinating. You know, whapping public figures with cream pies at public events is a growing... er, trend. A strange mix of political statement, public art, pranksterism, and just plain rudeness. I've seen it everywhere, but this is the first political pie-ing that I can recall here.

Comment

hmmm... I think maybe Augie loses points on reacting with a lawsuit on this one.
        Instead, he ottah do a mock angry reaction and turn this thing into sumpin where he can milk it in publicity in a joking funny fashion and also in his standup. Sfter all, to show he can take a joke and appreciate self depricating humor of any kine would help him...
        remember the ol days of wild pranks by da poiboys?
        J akuhead pupule's pranks?
        many could have been humiliated or offended but weren't.
        naaah.
        eh, augie, ain't no beeg t'ing.

Comment

Absolutely right Bro Kimo.

He can turn a negative into a positive. The main thing is he didn't get hurt. I mean, come on...a cream pie? Plllleeez. It's not that sore. Well, the tin pan might be a little bit felt.

There will be copy cats to follow suit as with everything else that occurs. If this is the first one, you can bet your booty that this won't be the last. Hmmmm, Augi....no pilikia bro. make moa ass if you keep whining about it.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            I mean, come on...a cream pie? Plllleeez. It's not that sore. Well, the tin pan might be a little bit felt.
            yea. mo betta li'dat, if the pan were made of felt.
            sorry.
            Augi....no pilikia bro. make moa ass if you keep whining about it.

ssrite!

he could joke about it;
            "Eh, anytime i get free meal, I nevah complain!"

"She pied the wrong local guy."
            "She mistook me for Lani. now THAT is the right local guy"

eh aunty, maybe he can hire you t'row one more nex time he steh Brew Moon fo da show.
            chance um!

Comment

eh aunty, maybe he can hire you t'row one more nex time he steh Brew Moon fo da show.
              chance um!
              alas, i'm willing but not able. can you imagine me waliking up to him like donald duck and daisy put together with one cream pie? da blalas security going get to me first. then again, might be some boy's i know and dey goin make sure i get the whiner! it would take him out of the negative comments he's getting knowing he can take a pie from auntie lynn of chinatown. anybody know him? tell him contact me per pm hea.

auntie lynn aka auntie pupule

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                hmmm... I think maybe Augie loses points on reacting with a lawsuit on this one.
                Instead, he ottah do a mock angry reaction and turn this thing into sumpin where he can milk it in publicity in a joking funny fashion and also in his standup. Sfter all, to show he can take a joke and appreciate self depricating humor of any kine would help him...
                remember the ol days of wild pranks by da poiboys?
                J akuhead pupule's pranks?
                many could have been humiliated or offended but weren't.
                naaah.
                eh, augie, ain't no beeg t'ing.
                Yeah, Soupy Sales used to get one in da face in every TV show he did! That was his schtick. And Augie should feel honored. He's in good company. Bill ("Yes I know I'm the richest man in the world") Gates has gotten pied too.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Yeah, Soupy Sales used to get one in da face in every TV show he did! That was his schtick. And Augie should feel honored. He's in good company. Bill ("Yes I know I'm the richest man in the world") Gates has gotten pied too.

Miulang

it's akin to being 'streaked'.
                  Imagine if David Niven at the academy awards show, after that moment the streaker zipped past him.... if he said: "I am gonna sue. I am humiliated."
                  David Niven! A great, cool headed, diplomatic, respected actor at that time...
                  He used it to make that moment remembered, even now, as a semi-high point in his life as a great wit and gentleman.
                  He responded with something like:
                  “...just think; The only laugh that man will ever get in his life is by stripping ... and showing his shortcomings.”
                  you see; he controlled the situation. He claimed power over it. Augie is saying this pie event controlled him. It had power over him. It makes him lose control. Is is greater than his wit, presence of mind and "personal power"... one should never allow another person or situation to control or decide how you will react. Or make you react with an animalistic, unthought out, kneejerk reaction.

I mean, he's a comedian. Pie in the face is a comedic schtick.
                  c'maawwwwn!
                  use it.

unfortunate trend in society:
                  he allows himself to be humiliated.
                  and it's someone else's fault.
                  "I'm degraded! I'm condescended! I'm no keiki! I'm not the butt of yer joke!
                  You made me feel bad!"
                  yeesh!

I quote Eleanor R. again:
                  "no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
                  Last edited by kimo55; April 12, 2005, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    is greater than his wit, presence of mind and "personal power"... one should never allow another person or situation to control or decide how you will react. Or make you react with an animalistic, unthought out, kneejerk reaction.
                    sometimes you surprise me Bro Kimo.

well said.

written like a pro.

I stand up and applaud you!

ouch, ouch.....

Comment

Haha that's funny! For real Augie should chill.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if someone nailed the "infamous" Aunty Lynn of Chinatown with a pie in the face. Or Kimo as he was busy getting drunk on a barstool somewhere on Oahu.

For some reason, I don't think it would be an "aw shucks, no pilikia braddah" kind of reaction. Just because Augie was there to put on a comedy show, that doesn't mean it's okay to screw with the guy.

Maybe Augie's right... instead of living aloha, he should get a couple of big local guys to stand at the sides of the stage and serve as bouncers, like they do at other concert-type events. The guy already pokes enough fun at himself and his family as it is. He doesn't need any help from hippies in the audience, or anyone else for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          Kimo as he was busy getting drunk on a barstool somewhere on Oahu.

Hey. I am not "busy getting drunk on a barstool".
                          I am usually under the table.
                          get it straight.

Comment

As for me, I would laugh and congratulate the person for having the balls to do it. Life nowdays is gloom for me. Maybe a pie in my face would smack me out of it. Great idea Palolo Joe. Wanna do the honors?

As for Bro Kimo doing it? Why not? Sitting on a barstool or from under the table...now that would be such fun.

Place, time? Just let me know. I promise not to bring any blalas with me. Just MAMA and Antonio to watch the comedy fun central.

Have a nice day.

I still say, Augie should cool it. I may not be a comedian but I also poke fun of my dysfunctional family. It comes with the territory. As long his life or body wasn't hurt, that's the main thing. His pride? Get over it fast and think of something more creative so people will forget this mishap.

Comment

Hey, assault is assault, and Augie Tulba has a right to be pissed, and to press charges, and to sue. We're not saying he can't.

But as a public figure, and as a man whose livelihood depends on his image, he had an unusual opportunity (that you or I wouldn't have) to turn this witless prank to his advantage. No doubt the pie and the resulting chaos and giggles stung, but I think some of the comeback zingers Kimo posted would have really turned this free publicity into gold.

Comment

Working...
                              X