ShipToHawaii.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShipToHawaii.com?

Anyone here use ShipToHawaii.com? The company was featured in the Star-Bulletin and in the Honolulu Advertiser. I know folks in the Bytemarks group have used them to ship rugs and other bulky items. Now that I'm thinking of picking up another Dell PC, I'm wondering if they'll be a good alternative to paying nearly $200 to FedEx or UPS.

Re: ShipToHawaii.com?

I do. They're a great deal, assuming that you order a lot of bulky stuff from companies who only ship UPS Ground, and that it's convenient enough for you to get to the airport to pick up your stuff when it comes in.

The only problem was that I had a hard time finding them the first time I went. The address, 3375 Koapaka Street, is one of those huge industrial buildings with dozens of businesses in it. You get off Nimitz onto Paiea, then turn right onto Koapaka and go past the strip mall with the Starbucks and Jamba Juice, past the big parking ramp, all the way to the 'ewa end of Koapaka. It would be nice if they had a sign out front that said "ShipToHawaii", but they don't. Instead there is a small sign for the business that runs the service, Lynden Air Freight. You go inside, and the staff will retrieve your package for you. All in all, I think it's worth it.

Comment

Extremely helpful response, Eric!
      Excellent! And a great example of how this message board can really be useful (in addition to fun).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks indeed!

I'm still trying to figure out if I come out ahead (and I don't ship heavy stuff that often) in my computer purchase. To ship it FedEx 2nd Day, it'll cost about $180, maybe more. To join ShipToHawaii.com, I have to spend $20 to become a member, then the cost of shipping, {x} per pound in dimensional weight. A couple of Dell boxes, under those measurements, are pretty "heavy." My blind guesses got me a ShipToHawaii.com estimate of $120 or so.

ShipToHawaii.com sounds fab if you want to get stuff from Pier 1 or other furniture spots we don't have here and who otherwise won't ship to Hawaii... or if you do a lot of shipping, period. For a one-off thing like what I'm thinking, maybe not.

Comment

When I saw this in the paper (and I thought it was the Weekly I saw it in), I was freaked. What a brilliant idea. I don't ship a lot of big, bulky stuff, but there are a LOT of specialty-type businesses who only ship UPS ground, and that has prevented me from ordering.

A case of Dr. Pepper that's sweetened with only 100% cane sugar, for example, only costs eight bucks or so, but with UPS shipping to Hawaii, the cost goes through the ceiling. I'm foodie enough to order lots of things this way if I find the ShipToHawaii price cost-efficient; the thing is, I have to do a little more research first to see if it is: How many of these cases of Dr. Pepper plus how many orders of blood-orange olive oil plus how many blocks of New York cheddar would make it worth my while? Or, if the beer-of-the-month club and ship through this service, what's my actual yearly cost going to be?

I am thinking of getting together a group of locals who are interested in placing larger orders of these specialty items and then splitting the cost of shipping; I wonder how ethical that would be. For example, I'd say that in June, I'm placing an order with X company in Sonoma. I post the URL and others who want to jump in send me their money. We ship it here through ShipToHawaii, one of us picks up the entire stash and we split it up.

Gotta think about it.

Anyone tried this service?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You know what's weird is that we in Hawaii can ship something to the mainland via FedEx and UPS regular ground rates... but it doesn't work the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
              You know what's weird is that we in Hawaii can ship something to the mainland via FedEx and UPS regular ground rates... but it doesn't work the other way around.
              Mainlanders now have the capability of shipping packages to Hawai'i at "ground" rates, something mainlander shippers previously could not do. In January 2005, UPS updated its online shipping software to allow for this type of shipping from the mainland to HI. It's ground up to the air departure point for HI, where that is at depends where one is at on the mainland..LA seems to be the big switch from ground to air point.

Now based on what I'm seeing in the rate charts, the monetary difference between UPS 2nd Day to HI and ground to HI isn't huge, maybe 25%..just a rough guess. Now that would be huge if one is sending hundreds of parcels to HI, but for a one or two package to HI a month shipper, like the business I work with, the difference isn't all that great and we usually opt for the 2 day air service, rather than the ground service, which can take up to 8 days from this point on the East Coast to O'ahu, more for the outer islands.

Comment

I think both UPS and FedEx have "ground" rates to and from Hawaii (special trucks included - point at one and ask, "How'd he get here?"), but lots of merchants still impose restrictions themselves on what shipping methods can be used for Hawaii and Alaska. I'm sure they'll say it's because they want to guarantee prompt delivery, but there's gotta be some cha-ching in there somewhere for boosting their SuperHyperExpress shipments.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  I think both UPS and FedEx have "ground" rates to and from Hawaii (special trucks included - point at one and ask, "How'd he get here?"), but lots of merchants still impose restrictions themselves on what shipping methods can be used for Hawaii and Alaska. I'm sure they'll say it's because they want to guarantee prompt delivery, but there's gotta be some cha-ching in there somewhere for boosting their SuperHyperExpress shipments.
                  I guess those would be the ones that got the barnacles and seaweed hanging from the fenders?

Some of the bigger places like Amazon waive the "Alaska and Hawaii" (the two "other" states) exception and just goes ahead and ships via Ground. Some places say it has to be via the "faster", more expensive 2nd Day Priority rate which is bs because the stuff still takes a week most times (nope the money back guarantee doesnt apply to here either).
                  But that's news to me that both are offering the Ground service to Hawaii. I guess if I'm gonna get it in a week anyway, there is some savings in the cost I guess.

Comment

So, you need to pick up the package yourself, or can they deliver?
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Thread bump!

I just signed up based on this discussion. I found an item on Overstock.com that they wouldn't ship to Hawaii...a mattress pad of all things; a special size that, at other sites, is grossly expensive. What's up with that?!!! They've shipped other, bulkier items in the past. Then I stumbled on a couple of other items, one a baker's rack! The shipping for the 4 items, including the piece of furniture, is $2.95 from Overstock to STF in California. God only knows what it's going to be from Cali to Oahu!

I now need to stay away from woot.com!

Adrian...they don't deliver.

Comment

The package I just received would have cost $38 to ship UPS (judging by weight). It was $5 to ship UPS to Hawthorne, then $17.79 to Hawaii via STH. So I saved about $15.

But one important point. The company I ordered from WILL NOT ship to Hawaii or Alaska.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                          The package I just received would have cost $38 to ship UPS (judging by weight). It was $5 to ship UPS to Hawthorne, then $17.79 to Hawaii via STH. So I saved about $15.

But one important point. The company I ordered from WILL NOT ship to Hawaii or Alaska.
                          That's an admirable savings! And, yes, STH is perfect for those discriminatory web sites! I've run into several eBay auctions that won't ship to Hawaii. I mean, we really are a primitive territory in the middle of the ocean with limited resources. How does one get the pony express across the ocean? Can horses swim?

What, exactly, is the mentality behind not shipping to Hawaii? Or, Alaska, for that matter?

I just registered at woot.com. They accepted the difference in billling and shipping addresses just fine. STH warns that that's not always the case.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            What, exactly, is the mentality behind not shipping to Hawaii? Or, Alaska, for that matter?
                            For a lot of businesses that have daily pickups from UPS or FedEx, the few orders they get from Hawaii are not worth the extra hassle of processing shipments differently. At least, that's how it was once explained to me by someone who was supposed to ship me a hard drive. Sure, USPS would have worked just fine, but the company had a system in place, and there was a regular pickup by UPS, and if I was unwilling to pay the enormous UPS shipping, I was out of luck. Of course, some businesses don't even offer you THAT option.

Here's what I'm wondering. I have been wanting to give a loved one (me) one of those "wines of the month" subscriptions, but most of the providers say that can't ship to Hawaii for legal reasons. I know: I can't make sense out of it, because some WILL ship wine to Hawaii while others say they're prohibited from doing so. Will they ship it to Ship to Hawaii, and will Ship to Hawaii in turn send it here? The only relevant item in the FAQ says that you can't send flammable materials. Does that include wine?
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              and if I was unwilling to pay the enormous UPS shipping, I was out of luck.
                              At that point it would be worth going to UPS and checking the rates. Make sure they are telling you the truth and not making something up.

Comment

Working...
                              X