X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public vs private schools

Now here's an interesting study:
    Research questions belief that private schools are better than publics

The gist of it is that if you control for the socioeconomic level, the students' test scores are comparable, and indeed in this study public school students' math scores were higher than private school students'.

Who would have guessed?

Re: Public vs private schools

Hey, I went to a public school and turned fine just out!

This isn't surprising to me. Public schools need a lot of work, but ultimately an education is easily as much what you put into it as it is what you receive. The right motivation and hunger for knowledge can offset a lot of disadvantages, IMHO. Would I turn down a scholarship to Kamehameha for my kids? Hell no. But do I hate myself for having them go to the school down the street? Not in the least.

Private school does bring with it substantial advantages, not the least of which being "networking" (for both parents and kids), prestige, and college- and career-facing guidance (versus, mere survival!). But in a way, they bring their own pitfalls, as if a parent thinks attendance is enough to guarantee a bright future, they're sadly mistaken. And if they leave their kids education on autopilot, it might be a bumpy landing.

Hey, if a public education student has to work hard, even fight, to learn and advance, he's definitely got a good start in dealing with the real world!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Private school does bring with it substantial advantages, not the least of which being "networking" (for both parents and kids), prestige, and college- and career-facing guidance (versus, mere survival!). But in a way, they bring their own pitfalls, as if a parent thinks attendance is enough to guarantee a bright future, they're sadly mistaken. And if they leave their kids education on autopilot, it might be a bumpy landing.
      Pzarquon hit it on the head. The factor that people do not talk about is the parent participation factor. In most private schools in the state, you would pay nearly $10,000 (if not more for some) a year for tuition. That is $10,000 more than you would have to shell out if you sent your child to public school. Parents that have made that commitment to their child's education, will be interested in how well they progress. The Parent Teachers meetings (Most functions involving parents actually) are always a well attended event. In that scenario you would not find many parents sitting back thinking, it's the job of the teachers to educate my child.

The bottomline is, what is in the individual student's heart is the single most import factor. By that I mean the individual priorities of the student will probably be the biggest factor on how hard they they will study, try to make the football team, try to get a date for the prom, etc. External factors such as peer pressure, parental guidance, learning enviroment, also play large factors in determining the student's priorities.

BTW i too am a Public School Graduate, but I did send my child to Private School.
      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I went to public school through Grade 12 and then spent 2 years in a private college before transferring out to a state college.

The one thing that you gain by having a private education is the individualized attention you receive because the student-teacher ratio is much much smaller and the teachers in the private school environment tend to care more about the individuals. They can tailor the learning to suit the individual rather than by some formula which generally is aimed at the students of average ability, which therefore leaves those who are slower and those who are faster learners either frustrated or bored.

If the money thing wasn't such a big issue (the reason I had to leave Antioch was because they took away my grant), I think I would have preferred to stay in a private educational setting. I think that's also why home schooling appears (on the surface at least) to be such a desirable option for many of today's parents.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The only problem I have with Home Schooling is that I believe you stunt your child's social growth. I had that fear when deciding to send my child to Private school versus Public School. Athletics would also be a problem with home schooling.
          Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            The one thing that you gain by having a private education is the individualized attention you receive because the student-teacher ratio is much much smaller and the teachers in the private school environment tend to care more about the individuals.
            The student-teacher ratio is a big factor, yes, but I'd disagree with even a broad statement that private school teachers care more about students. Hell, when you look at a public school teacher, part of your heart aches and thinks, "That person must love their work... 'cause I wouldn't put up with those challenges at my job."

People don't pick teaching for the money or prestige, they do it for the kids, and that's an ideal shared trait no matter where they're teaching. I suppose private school teachers can be paid enough to care extra hard, but... a teacher is a teacher.

BTW, I know a teacher at a local private school. Before he taught at a public school. He had more students and fewer resources before, but he's not fond of the politics now. When I asked why he took the job at the private school, he said, "So my kids can get in!"

Comment

It's more than just grades that makes private schools a cut above public...it's the support that the school gives to the students. Things like a productive learning environment, adequate teaching aids like books, supplies and a stricter dress code. Students must also abide by stricter codes of conduct and are disciplined for behaviour that wouldn't bat an eye in the public sector.

Teachers also play a crucial role in Public vs Private. Private schools aren't unionized...need I say more.

When you hear the fact that when parents get involved in their child's education the child is more likely to succeed. In private schools, parents are asked if not are required to participate in school activities. Most private school parents oblige willingly because they already are involved in their children's activities.

Private schools just do a better job of getting the children prepared for adulthood. What is the real world? Nowdays it's having a good job to support your family. Survival is for those who weren't prepared for unsuspecting circumstances and have to now deal with life-rebuilding instead of life-enrichment.

If you create a solid foundation of understanding of the world around you and put into effect the safeguards to protect you from the travesties of life, you did well. Private schools focus on not only education but life preparedness.

To most private school students, college is just another set of grade levels they must complete and not the end of the educational cycle as seen by a higher percentage of public school students.

Like I said in another post...you get what you pay for and when the education is free...

If you cannot afford the luxuries of private schools, there are other ways of enriching your child's educational success, one of which is to join the school's PTSA. As mentioned earlier, when parents become involved in their children's educational experience, the child has a greater potential of success.

If you say you don't have the time for PTSA board meetings much less fundraising events or whatever you're really telling your kids that you don't have the time for them. Now what does that tell you. Remember that song Cat's in the Cradle? Get involved in your kid's education and you may not need private school. However once you do get involved you'll probably want to send them to private school only because these schools follow the same desire to see your kid succeed, and isn't that what we all want for our keiki? Success vs survival. The real world is what you make of it and success puts you higher in the food chain than survival period.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                The student-teacher ratio is a big factor, yes, but I'd disagree with even a broad statement that private school teachers care more about students. Hell, when you look at a public school teacher, part of your heart aches and thinks, "That person must love their work... 'cause I wouldn't put up with those challenges at my job."

People don't pick teaching for the money or prestige, they do it for the kids, and that's an ideal shared trait no matter where they're teaching. I suppose private school teachers can be paid enough to care extra hard, but... a teacher is a teacher.

BTW, I know a teacher at a local private school. Before he taught at a public school. He had more students and fewer resources before, but he's not fond of the politics now. When I asked why he took the job at the private school, he said, "So my kids can get in!"
                Public school teachers don't have time to care about individual students (and those that do, sometimes get jailed for having sex with them! ). My own personal experience is that private school teachers make even less than public school teachers, so for the private school teachers themselves, it ain't about the money, either. My experience in a private education environment is that the teachers appear to be more relaxed and can engage more readily with the students because they have fewer to concentrate on.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Public school teachers don't have time to care about individual students (and those that do, sometimes get jailed for having sex with them! ).

Miulang

Geez! Now I really feel deprived! Man I wish Mrs. Sanger in 7th grade at Kaimuki would've given me more personalized attention. She would always tell us about her weekend with her husband at Makapuu and she'd describe her bikini she wore that day.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X