"Fresh" bread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fresh" bread?

Your State Legislators want a little more truth in advertising about the bread you purchase at the markets.

You probably didn't realize this (until now), but most of the bread on supermarket shelves is not baked in Hawai'i; it's baked on the Mainland, flash frozen and then thawed out when it gets to Hawai'i. So technically, it's not "fresh" bread at all!

About the only guarantee you have that the bread you consume is really fresh is to bake it yourselves, or buy the pricey loaves at a health food store or food coop.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: "Fresh" bread?

Heh. I saw this on KITV a few days ago. While it is a good point (I had no idea, but I already favor local bread), I knew there was politics involved. Who knew local breadmakers had their own lobbying arm?

The imported, flash-frozen bread never claim "fresh," but I guess that's not enough. Since poultry already requires a "previously frozen" disclaimer, I guess it's not too much of a stretch to make the same case for baked goods.

Comment

Oh, milk too. You gotta look for the "Island Fresh" logo, which is pretty small. Loves is the only really locally baked bread found here these days, apparently. I wonder if the state keeps track of a "trade deficit" with imports/exports like the Feds do?
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Well, Safeway at Manoa Marketplace has an on-site bakery and provides fresh-baked bread every day. Just got to slyly squeeze those rolls a bit to make sure you aren't getting one left over from yesterday.

Comment

I gotta put in a plug for those pricey loaves at Great Harvest Bread, near Kāhala Mall. Oh, so 'ono.

Comment

Working...
          X