OSX Tiger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSX Tiger

Is anyone getting Tiger? I just wanted to know if I should preorder it or wait a year for all the "bugs" to be worked out.

I currently have Jaguar but got iLife5 last month and saw that I needed Panther for it. I was going to upgrade to Panther, but then saw that Tiger was coming out "soon" (release date wasn't told yet at the time). After visiting Apple.com yesterday to look at iPods (still haven't gotten mine yet, though I dream... ) I was greeted with a black page and saw that Tiger's release date was announced and that it's only a few days away (4/29). I thought it was going to be in June, for some reason. Anyway, after reading on forums, I read of both people saying yes, they were going to preorder and get it...and people saying they're going to wait a few months until all the Tiger bugs are out, and that they're perfectly happy with their Panther now, so they'll wait.

Does anyone have advice? Preorder...or wait a few months to a year (and in the meantime, get the now cheaper Panther upgrade, so I can use iLife)? Has anyone ever preordered any of Apple's previous OS programs, and found it better to wait? I know with Tiger not out yet, it's hard to say "yeah, go get it, because I tried it and it's good"...but I just wanted to know if in the past, is it better to wait or not?

Thanks!

Re: OSX Tiger

Just like all other major OS releases, bugs are surely to surface with the release of OSX Tiger. That said however, Amazon.com is offering a $95 price for pre-release orders.

It seems Tiger will work on most G3, all G4 and G5 based Power Macs with one major caveat. The OS will ship on DVD. If you don't have a DVD drive you may be out of the loop.

I have read that Apple may be offering a Tiger CD kit at for an extra $10 for people without a DVD drive.

It is not known if Tiger will install using a third party external DVD drive.

The feature set for Tiger looks interesting, especially the new "Widgets" which kind of remind me of Desk Accessories from the System 6 and 7 days.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Wasn't the Widgets feature the subject of some online bellyaching regarding the aquisition of or derivation from ideas developed by independent programmers?

Anyone got a quickie overview of what Tiger would do for me over Panther?

Comment

Here's a quickie technical comparison of all the Mac cat versions.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just like all other major OS releases, bugs are surely to surface with the release of OSX Tiger. That said however, Amazon.com is offering a $95 price for pre-release orders."
          even if that was NOT said, Amazon.com is STILL making that offer.
          If you don't have a DVD drive you may be out of the loop.
          "no DVD drive" ? Hell, yer outta the loop much before this!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Wasn't the Widgets feature the subject of some online bellyaching regarding the aquisition of or derivation from ideas developed by independent programmers?
            Konfabulator. http://www.konfabulator.com/ In fact, the Apple Store at Ala Moana has Konfabulator installed on all their public machines!

Apple's Desktop Widgets looks to be a pretty close rip of the Konfabulator idea. Lots of bellyaching, pro and con, over this one.

I was also a Watson user until the new Sherlock came out looking just like it.
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I say Malia should go for it. Panther is so much more mature than Jaguar. Much was fixed in Panther, many problems were ironed out. While some problems may be introduced in Tiger, so what? Every release ever made has some problems. But they tend to improve more than they break. And usually patches appear for problems pretty quickly.

Going from Jaguar to Panther was fairly uneventful, except everything was more stable, faster and "improved." If Tiger were not imminent, I'd have no problem recommending immediate upgrade to Panther. I don't expect Tiger to be that drastically different.

Blaine
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice!

I know there's problems with every new release they have, but yeah, they get it ironed out pretty quick. I guess I was thinking of the instance, and though I can't remember which release it was now...maybe it was just the whole new OSX from OS9...but I remember reading people saying they were having so much problems with it, that others should just wait until it's been going a while before getting it. But if Jaguar to Panther was no problem, then I don't see a problem going straight on from Jaguar to Tiger. Thanks again for your input! (And also the tip for the cheaper price at Amazon!)

Comment

Tiger is here!

All you Mac-o-philes might want to seriously consider upgrading to Tiger now that it's available. It's been getting rave reviews from the techie press.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I run, alternately, os9, Jag and Panther.
                    happy with that.
                    These "upgrades" just happen too often for me to bother with. They add to the cost and take up HD space.
                    I've read the reviews and i don't see anything that compells me. It seems to be Panther with alotta extra manini programs to clutter up the place that i don't need. (The review calls it a new operating system. But it is not.)
                    Think I will wait a few more upgrades and save alot of headaches, Gb's and moola...
                    Last edited by kimo55; May 2, 2005, 07:40 AM.

Comment

There is a painfully verbose review of Tiger on arstechnica:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars

My favorite part is the 4 or 5 pages he spends ranting about Apple's metadata model.

First hand reports that I've gotten from early adapters suggests waiting for the .1 or .2 release before upgrading. It most definately breaks things like the cisco VPN client, as well as the Secureclient from Checkpoint. This may only be of interest to fellow nose-picking nerds.
                      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                      X