McCully Shopping Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCully Shopping Center

Helen and I had lunch there yesterday at "Fook Yuen" (sounds like we're being rude to The Nathan). The original plan had been "Todo de Bom", the relatively new Brazilian barbecue place, but they only do lunch on weekends. How can a place survive, being open only from 5-10 pm during the week?

"Fook Yuen", although certainly a more elegant environment than Chopsticks Express or Patti's Chinese Kitchen, doesn't really surpass them (or even equal them). China plates, a pot of green tea and an all-you-can-eat buffet for a reasonable $7.95. Although it calls itself a "Chinese seafood restaurant" the only seafood offered in the buffet was shrimp so overwhelmed by fried batter as to be almost devoid of a taste of shrimp.

Has anyone tried the other restaurants at McCully? Especially, across the street, the Indonesia Bali buffet place?

Re: McCully Shopping Center

Originally posted by Albert
    Helen and I had lunch there yesterday at "Fook Yuen" (sounds like we're being rude to The Nathan).

Fook Yuen everyone else.

Comment

I live near McCully, so I've been to Bali Indonesia several times for lunch. The buffet is reasonably priced for the amount of items. They have enough veg and non-veg items to please everyone. Some of the food is pretty fried/greasy/oily, but not excessively so, and it tastes good! :-)

I recommend that place to all who are looking for something tasty and reasonably priced.

Some links:

http://www.pax7.net/articles/BaliIndone.html.en

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/sp...50/ethnic.html

Comment

I was a regular visitor to McCully Shopping Center for several years--Don't know why I stopped going, except that I'm not as close as I once was to the woman with whom I'd frequent the area. The plate-lunch place there (is it Regal something? Can't remember) is pretty good if you get it to go (it's not a great place for dining in). The Korean place upstairs, Ok Cho, is just terrific. Get the dol sot bi bim bap; it's really wonderful (at thirteen bucks or so, it's hard to believe this is really peasant food).

The space that houses Todo de Bom used to be the home of...dang. An Italian place I don't remember the name of; just after it cleared out, it was a Spanish restaurant where I've had the nicest bottle of Rioja I've ever encountered (it was a 1987). Actually, it was the first Rioja I'd ever had, but it remains the most memorable.

Cold Stone is Cold Stone, of course, but this one's not as crazy as the others I've been to; I find myself going to McCully when I'm jonesing for CS. There was a wonderful Japanese restaurant there for a few years called Tonkatsu something. Easily the best tonkatsu on the island.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We get take-out from Phuket Thai once in a while which is pretty good. The noodles with fresh basil and chile are my favorite. Also, their pineapple fried rice which I get without meat but extra garlic. If you order your dishes medium they will be just right for those who like spicy otherwise be sure to order the mild.

The other one we've tried is the fairly new Yotteko-Ya Ramen upstairs. The broth is kind of milky and thick (they boil it for hours) and not my favorite but their gyoza, fried chicken (karaage) and fried rice are really good. Don't know if we'd go back since there are other ramen places more to our liking. Lots of Japanese patrons though so they obviously have a following.

Comment

I moved to the McCully area during Spring 2018. I did eat at Fook Yuen a few times during the weekend and I think their buffet cost about $13 to $14 at the time. Of course Todo De Born and Cold Stone (I don't remember a Cold Stone) are no longer there. When I first moved in I kind of noted that the only North America place at McCully Shopping Center was the Taco Bell, everything else was Asian in theme. Since then a place called Oh My Grill opened up around the 2019 time frame, which has plate lunches and burgers.

All I can remember about Todo De Born was it was on the 2nd floor but I can't remember where it was actually so I can't say who is in that spot now.

Across the street also changed as well. I used to remember a Domino's Pizza across the street, as well as some other vendors but now that area is a Lock-Up Self Storage location.

In any event according to their website McCully Shopping Center does have limited hours of operation, during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Originally posted by Albert View Post
            Helen and I had lunch there yesterday at "Fook Yuen" (sounds like we're being rude to The Nathan). The original plan had been "Todo de Bom", the relatively new Brazilian barbecue place, but they only do lunch on weekends. How can a place survive, being open only from 5-10 pm during the week?

"Fook Yuen", although certainly a more elegant environment than Chopsticks Express or Patti's Chinese Kitchen, doesn't really surpass them (or even equal them). China plates, a pot of green tea and an all-you-can-eat buffet for a reasonable $7.95. Although it calls itself a "Chinese seafood restaurant" the only seafood offered in the buffet was shrimp so overwhelmed by fried batter as to be almost devoid of a taste of shrimp.

Has anyone tried the other restaurants at McCully? Especially, across the street, the Indonesia Bali buffet place?
            Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            I was a regular visitor to McCully Shopping Center for several years--Don't know why I stopped going, except that I'm not as close as I once was to the woman with whom I'd frequent the area. The plate-lunch place there (is it Regal something? Can't remember) is pretty good if you get it to go (it's not a great place for dining in). The Korean place upstairs, Ok Cho, is just terrific. Get the dol sot bi bim bap; it's really wonderful (at thirteen bucks or so, it's hard to believe this is really peasant food).

The space that houses Todo de Bom used to be the home of...dang. An Italian place I don't remember the name of; just after it cleared out, it was a Spanish restaurant where I've had the nicest bottle of Rioja I've ever encountered (it was a 1987). Actually, it was the first Rioja I'd ever had, but it remains the most memorable.

Cold Stone is Cold Stone, of course, but this one's not as crazy as the others I've been to; I find myself going to McCully when I'm jonesing for CS. There was a wonderful Japanese restaurant there for a few years called Tonkatsu something. Easily the best tonkatsu on the island.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
              We get take-out from Phuket Thai once in a while which is pretty good.
              The Thai restaurant at McCully Shopping Center is called Thai Lao now. As long as the Pad Thai noodles are good, that's good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
              X