X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a ZIP?

ZIP codes unchanged on O'ahu — for now
    Karen Blakeman, Honolulu Advertiser, Thursday, April 14, 2005
    Residents of 18 outlying O'ahu communities, from Waimanalo to Hale'iwa to 'Ewa Beach and Pearl City, narrowly missed having the first three digits of their ZIP codes changed from 967 to 968. The U.S. Postal Service had planned to make the change on July 1, but ditched the effort yesterday... Census figures show that Hawai'i is the 14th-fastest growing state, and the Neighbor Islands are getting a lot of the increase. Standardizing of the O'ahu codes to 968 and letting the Neighbor Islands use 967 exclusively would have accommodated overall growth, according to Gonzales.
    Egads. When was this proposed publicly? Was there a "comment period"? I must've missed it. Or rather, our local media must've missed it, or the USPS dropped the ball. I'll bet there would've been more of a... public response if it was covered better.

An April 5 letter to the mayor is accepted without comment and just passed around city departments "so they could prepare for the change"? The story breaks just because some residents got it by e-mail? Sheesh.

I don't want to live in 96889, man! I mean, 96789 just has personality!

Re: What's in a ZIP?

ZIP code changes aren't so bad. After all, there's a phase-in period, and even after that, if you write in the wrong ZIP the USPS usually can still figure out what you meant anyway. Now telephone area code changes, those are scary.

Comment

I'm very attached to my 96701, thank you! I even know the four-digit extension!
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

it's just a number. I mean even if the numbers changed, the locale remains the same...same prestige, same ruralness, same poverty...same whatever. My goodness I can't imagine the heartache when people move around and the therapist asks if the move making you so depressed was because of leaving your job, your friends, or your family and you say, "It was because I was so attached to my zip code," boy as a therapist I would just throw down my clipboard and bust out the violins.

Man the move from 96816 in Waialae Kahala to 96749 in Keaau made for only one zip code bummer, and that was filling out that Government form to ensure proper delivery of my mail. Other than that I don't miss that zip code or it's eclectic life for anything. Same goes for 96822 where I lived for a short while.

I remember when we went from five digit phone numbers to seven digit and the uproar then because we had to remember two more numbers! Now in comparison that was something to bitch about, but the good thing was no more partylines to deal with either. But a zip code? Hmmmm I guess we got too much time on our hands to worry about a bunch of numbers that will have no impact whatsoever on our ability to live the way we're already living.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hah! The trauma I went through! Craig, you only moved south a few islands; I moved from 22003 to an island served by a San Francisco APO Box! Do you know what that's like? Then, just as I was used to that, I moved to 86719, from a moist climate to a very dry heat. The pain, the horror!

Then, from 86719 to a different APO Box in SF, back to 86719, and yet a third APO Box, before finally coming to rest here in 96701. I felt like I'd come home at last.

You'll have to pull my zip code from my cold dead hands (and magazine subscription labels).
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Hey I went from prestigious townie 96816 to a friggin APO when I went into the military. Then I went to an RFD and wondered, "What the F*#K does that mean? And where's my mail box...What you mean I have to drive one mile on a dirt road to get to my mail box and what do you mean watch out for the Arian Nation skin heads, where the heck is Aria and what continent do they come from? Remember I was this naive 100% Japanese born and raised in squeaky clean and towniefied Waialae Kahala where being oriental was the majority

Now I'm at an HCR address where getting your mail out on time is a task in itself. I've moved to so many types of postal delivery methods, a five digit zip code change doesn't even bat an eye. Sorry time to bust out the violins

If the worries of life only included zip code number changes, oh how I long for those simpler days

Comment

I would think that all the people who live in the zip codes that would be affected on Oahu would be happy about the change; I mean, it would signify they have finally "arrived" and are acknowledged as part of Honolulu-sprawl.

Keep the 967xx for the Neighbor Islands, which are also growing by leaps and bounds!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

For the longest time I couldn't figure out how the ZIP codes were assigned, until I realized that the 967-- codes were in alphabetical order: 'Aiea 96701, all the way down to Waimānalo 96796.

Comment

so how does Kea'au on the Big Island at 96749 figure in that mix? Nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    so how does Kea'au on the Big Island at 96749 figure in that mix? Nevermind.
                    Da same way dat Kahului is 96732, Kailua is 96734 and Wailuku is 96793! (my fadda was one postmaster long time ago so das how come I know dis kine stuff). Get so many towns dat start wit da letter "K", dey all bunched up togeda! So if you take Kailua and all da odda places on Oahu wit names dat start wit "K" (Kahaluu, Kapolei, etc) out of da 967 range and make 'em all 968xx, going get plenty room foa da neighbor islands to sprrrrread out!

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

hey can have mine lol

-Will
                      Just a guy from Mississippi trying to find out what life is all about

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Da same way dat Kahului is 96732, Kailua is 96734 and Wailuku is 96793! (my fadda was one postmaster long time ago so das how come I know dis kine stuff). Get so many towns dat start wit da letter "K", dey all bunched up togeda! So if you take Kailua and all da odda places on Oahu wit names dat start wit "K" (Kahaluu, Kapolei, etc) out of da 967 range and make 'em all 968xx, going get plenty room foa da neighbor islands to sprrrrread out!

Miulang

Eh! I said nevermind! I figured dat out but was too lazy to erase my post. Ho wow Miulang, sometimes you jus like my Muddah!

Comment

Working...
                        X