Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Dangerous Intersections

Kapi'olani Blvd. tops list of accident sites
    Four of Honolulu's 10 most accident-prone locations are on the tree-lined boulevard between Ke'eaumoku Street and Kalakaua Avenue. More than 60 major accidents — those involving injury or at least $3,000 in damage — occurred in that area in a one-year period, according to an Advertiser analysis of Honolulu police traffic records.
    Kapiolani and Atkinson (and specifically, its proximity to Kapiolani and Kalakaua) is a baffling intersection, especially to tourists, who of course traverse that spot in large numbers. So I'm not surprised. The police were skeptical, though, and flagged Alakea and Beretania streets and Pi'ikoi and Young streets.

Are there any intersections you go out of your way to avoid?

Re: Most Dangerous Intersections

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Are there any intersections you go out of your way to avoid?
    Along the Kapiolani Blvd. thoroughfare, I avoid making left turns at the following intersections:

Kapiolani & Keeaumoku
    Kapiolani & Kaheka
    Kapiolani & Atkinson (I rarely come from the Diamond Head side)

I have to say Kapiolani & Keeaumoku is the WORST of the intersections along the corridor. There is no left turn signal here so as the article says, people are rushing through green, yellow and sometimes red lights, setting themselves or someone else up for disaster. Several times I have walked to this area only to have either seen or heard an accident or a very close call.

If you are coming from the Diamond Head end of Kapiolani and try to turn left into Ala Moana, that is the most dangerous. And it is prohibited. And I still see people trying to turn left into the center from there.

A left turn from Kapiolani to Keeaumoku is a no-brainer for me. Avoid left turns at all costs. I prefer to either drive on King St. and make a right turn down into Kapiolani or go to Ala Moana Center from Pensecola and drive straight out of the center (usually after shopping there) to get on Keeaumoku.

Most of the time it is King Street for me and down Keeaumoku.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Living right in the middle of MWH near Liliha Street, I think the worst intersection is Liliha/King/Beretania/Dillingham. I hear blaring sirens all the time.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Looking at the map in the Advertiser, I was puzzled by eastbound and westbound ramps for Kaonohi (Pearlridge). There aren't any ramps for Kaonohi St. going in either direction. Maybe they meant the Moanalua merge westbound. Confusing.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Oh, there's no question about that multi-way intersection at the Convention Center. If you are daring enough to cross it on foot, be sure to wait some time after the light has changed since it seems to be THE place in town for red-light-runners. But don't wait too long, because the pedestrian lights there aren't as generous as they should be (it's a major candidate for those new crossing signals which display how much time is left for walking).

Comment

If you have Real media software, the Honolulu Advertiser has posted a video clip of traffic there. The left turners from Kapiolani makai onto Atkinson are particularly egregious.

Meanwhile, the article series continues with a piece on how the state knows where the dangers lie, but won't tell anyone for fear of getting sued.

They also have the results of a poll wherein readers rank their least favorite intersections of the 14 identified. Kapiolani/Keeaumoku actually beat out the Kapiolani/Atkinson intersection by a wide margin.

I used to live on Keeaumoku, so I guess I just got used to the gauntlet that is making the left mauka onto Keeaumoku from Kapiolani, Diamond Head bound. If you simply accept that only one, maybe two cars will make it through on each light, you're in less of a hurry and less likely to take stupid chances.

Comment

I think the most dangerous intersection in Honolulu is the one where Varisity theater is on the corner of University and what is it Coyne? Jeeze that is one impossible intersection to get thru. When are they going to put a light or something there?
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                If you have Real media software, the Honolulu Advertiser has posted a video clip of traffic there. The left turners from Kapiolani makai onto Atkinson are particularly egregious.

people drive crazy city or country. having my videocamera with me as I always do, I happened to videotape a crash one day while I was out Haleiwa side:

http://www.tikitv.com/cwash.mov

wait for it to load.
                Last edited by kimo55; April 18, 2005, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  I think the most dangerous intersection in Honolulu is the one where Varisity theater is on the corner of University and what is it Coyne? Jeeze that is one impossible intersection to get thru. When are they going to put a light or something there?
                  That's a good candidate for a "No Left Turn" sign. Given the curve of University Ave. at that point, there's no way you can see oncoming traffic coming makai, and frankly, folks coming down that way are not observing the speed limit.

Comment

Working...
                  X