Crosswalks are for Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosswalks are for Safety

It was tragic that the young man had to die in Makakilo the other week. The media showing his friends and family holding signs, tell motorist to "slow down & watch out for the kids", but not once did I see a sign saying "use the crosswalk" or did his parents put some blame on the victim. This wasn't some little elem. school child who didn't know better , but a high school young man, he ran across a busy road instead of walking a few feet to a crosswalk. The driver was said to have not been speeding ,so I feel was not to blame.

As a child in Hilo in the 4th grade ,I was almost killed by a car while running across the road . It was all my fault. I learned a painful lesson that day( split my bottom lip), use the crosswalk.

The family is collecting money to build a bench at a bus stop....maybe they should build an elevated crosswalk . This would serve people more than a bench.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Crosswalks are for safety

There's a protest afoot against closing crosswalk
    James Gonser, Honolulu Advertiser, Wednesday, April 13, 2005
    A one-woman protest is alerting pedestrians that they may soon lose one of downtown's busiest crosswalks as part of a city plan to rework traffic patterns. Downtown resident Dolores Mollring, 69, has been wearing a placard that reads "save this crosswalk" near the diamondhead-side crosswalk at Bishop and King streets between Tamarind Park and First Hawaiian Bank. "I'm just tired of pedestrians not being thought of as important," Mollring said. "If they know there are a lot of pedestrians and a lot of cars, wouldn't safety be a top consideration? Pedestrians have rights, too."

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
      friends and family holding signs, tell motorist to "slow down & watch out for the kids", but not once did I see a sign saying "use the crosswalk" or did his parents put some blame on the victim. This wasn't some little elem. school child who didn't know better , but a high school young man, he ran across a busy road instead of walking a few feet to a crosswalk. The driver was said to have not been speeding ,so I feel was not to blame.

Exactly.
      Reminds me of that accident a year or two ago going into Waimanalo from Kailua.
      The only hue and cry afterwards was friends and family and others going on about how "if there was a big ugly cement divider there, we wouldn't have accidents."
      I lament the loss of a human life as much as the next guy but think there must be some accountability sometime.

Comment

You remember that incident in front of McKinley HS on S. King? Now that the students have a light at that croswalk...crossing on a red is more than just a jaywalking violation now.

I've driven that section of roadway many times before and have lamented that the students there simply take their longest time crossing the street when they know cars will be coming their way. I've even see them stop and chat in the middle of the lanes!

Something tells me that kid who was struck at McKinley wasn't so innocent as it seemed.

I'm sad for the kid who was killed recently at Makakilo but as Aloha Bear said, there was a crosswalk just a few feet away and the driver wasn't speeding. So who's fault was it? Not the City, there was a crosswalk and posted speed limits but apparently it wasn't enough for this boy, when do we start taking responsibility for our own actions!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Makakilo tragedy editorial in SB

I couldn't figure where to put this thread. It could've gone in a number of places because it dealt with the death of a child on a roadway. This editorial put the blame on our government for the death of their child instead looking at themselves for not taking the precautions of educating their keiki on the dangers of not using a crosswalk. The sad part is this parent blames speeding on this road yet speed wasn't a factor in his son's death. Read on this is from today's (5/4/05) SB Letters to the Editors:

An empty place at the dining table
          It has been a month since my son and best friend, Nathan, was killed on Makakilo Drive. His room now stands empty, his Star Wars action figures still set up on the floor, waiting for him to play with them.
          When my family sits down for dinner it is more painful than any parent can imagine to see his empty seat. He is still there in spirit, but we miss his smile, his laughter and his presence. His mother, sister and I are at a loss as to how to continue, Nathan was so much a part of our lives. Therefore, I hold my sign on Makakilo Drive every Monday, in the hopes that I will change one more person and save a parent from this pain. I will fight against the Department of Transportation and all others that fail the common-sense test until all pedestrians are protected on our streets.

I would also like to take this time to thank Honolulu Police Department Officer Gabriel Gonsalves for helping us out with our efforts to slow traffic down. On Monday morning, Gonsalves pulled his cruiser over behind where Carolyn and Michelle Golojuch and I were holding our signs. At first we thought that he would tell us to disperse but it made me cry when he pulled out his radar gun and said that he was there to help us out.

Finally, I would like to pass on a message to the residents of Makakilo: Please slow down and pay attention on our roads! Our children are worth it as they are priceless!

Christopher L. Ackerman
          Makakilo

So who is responsible for this boy's death? At some point as a parent you are responsible for the safety of your children. And to act after the fact is acting too late for your children's sake.

For Christopher Ackerman (father of Nathan) and his surviving family any loss of a loved one is hard indeed and your final message will allow others to stave off the heartaches you feel now...however please don't blame the DOT for not putting a cross walk where your boy crossed even though one existed just a few feet away. You talk of common sense. At least the DOT put up a cross walk nearby. Was it utilized? Was Nathan educated on using it? Did you as a parent show Nathan how and when to use it?

I believe the DOT was acting responsibly when they painted those lines on the roadway. If they were then who wasn't? The answer lies in your own thoughts but will be latent until denial works it's way out of your system. Be more responsive to your surviving family members for the sake of Nathan. That's the responsible thing to do, save your family first.

I have six boys and have taught all of them the risks of being a pedistrian and to use the crosswalks even if it's 20-feet away. Jaywalking is as bad as running red lights, oncoming traffic won't be prepared for something that shouldn't be there.

It wasn't the driver's fault, nor the City for the death of your child. Remember that the next time you cast blame on others. Who failed to educate Nathan? Who's job was it to protect him? Who failed Nathan! The mirror is right in your bathroom, take a good look at it for the answers.

I'm sorry for your kid, thank you for your final comment in the SB, let's all learn from this for Nathan's sake.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Makakilo tragedy editorial in SB

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Was Nathan educated on using it? Did you as a parent show Nathan how and when to use it?

Who failed to educate Nathan? Who's job was it to protect him? Who failed Nathan!

just by virtue of a person anywhere past the age of cognition, (aaah c'mon! the kid was fifteen frikken years OLD!) existing in a society wherein crosswalks are a common aspect of town and city living, the person himself via experience and common sense, (which as we allll know now, is UN common) should know what a crosswalk is. and NO one needs to "educate nathan" on it.
            ok, bestsides that.
            Who does NOT know better than to run or even walk into traffic?!
            I mean years ago, we usta say "aaah why doncha go play traffic" as an insult knowing or at least assuming it would not be taken literally, cuz everyone know ya don't go where cars go.

No, it is clear, Nathan comitted suicide. That is the only answer, given all the facts present.
            Last edited by kimo55; May 4, 2005, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Had someting lidis happen to one of my coworkers. His niece was walking across 4 lanes of traffic in downtown Seattle (NOT in a crosswalk, mind you)listening to her iPod, totally oblivious to oncoming cars...she managed somehow to make it across 3 lanes before a driver creamed her. She ended up in ICU, has already had 2 surgeries for the multiple fractures of many bones. She has no health insurance (she's 25 and unemployed). The first thing her family did when she came to was go out and bought her ANOTHER iPod. Now she's complaining about having to wear orthopedic shoes for the rest of her life and needs to sue the driver of the car that hit her (even though she was the one who was violating the law) in order to get somebody to pay for her hospital bills.

Does this sound like a candidate for the Darwin Award, or what? Now that she has another iPod, when she's finally ambulatory, is she going to do the same thing she did that got her in the hospital? Probably. Why is she just not damned grateful that the docs told her she is going to be able to walk?

This kid sounds like a superficial, spoiled brat. Maybe she's trying to beat Paris Hilton at her game.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

That's it. "IPOD'S" are gonna take a hike from my family. My son and son-inlaw bought them a month ago. Alway's comparing and having the damn things on. Combat/Decorated or not, I'm gonna grab and break um'. They'll keep buying and I'll keep breaking it.

Wasting away brains!
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

the ackerman incident in makakilo was one of many recent pedestrian accidents on Oahu in recent months, and it appears that the situation has reached epidemic proportions...if i'm not mistaken, the issue of a crosswalk/stoplight in the very area where the boy was struck had previously gone before the makakilo neighborhood board and was rejected by residents...go figga!
                  Don't be mean,
                  try to help.

Comment

Re: Crosswalks are for Safety

bump.

Careful out there, everybody, for safety's sake, and because the police are enforcing the crosswalk laws more than ever lately. Last time I was in court (don't ask, comment, snicker - nothing!) there were more than a few people there for crosswalk violations. The one kid that I saw who got off with no charges swore up and down that the people in the crosswalk had already cleared the intersection. All the others were charged with infractions, and fined.

I'm hoping somebody can clarify the crosswalk rules for me, as I want to be a better driver, but be fair to fellow motorists and pedestrians. I know that the law is different between divided and undivided roads. I like to wait until the last straggling pedestrian has climbed the curb before I drive on. Judging from the angry, impatient reactions from the cars behind me, I must be doing something wrong.(?)...
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      [...]I like to wait until the last straggling pedestrian has climbed the curb before I drive on. Judging from the angry, impatient reactions from the cars behind me, I must be doing something wrong.(?)...
                      I believe, if the curb is on your side of the street, TG, you're supposed to wait. If drivers behind you get impatient, ignore them. A driver who is stopped behind me can honk 'til the cows come home and I won't budge if a pedestrian in a crosswalk has not stepped on to the curb.

Now, if the curb is on the other side of the street, I think the pedestrian just needs to get beyond the center line before you continue on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

All that said, so many pedestrians still aren't accepting responsibility for safe and defensive walking. I'm talking common sense stuff here...looking both ways before stepping into a crosswalk, using a crosswalk, making eye contact with a stopped driver, etc. I'm constantly amazed by the lack of responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Now, if the curb is on the other side of the street, I think the pedestrian just needs to get beyond the center line before you continue on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
                        That's the way I interpret it.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        All that said, so many pedestrians still aren't accepting responsibility for safe and defensive walking. I'm talking common sense stuff here...looking both ways before stepping into a crosswalk, using a crosswalk, making eye contact with a stopped driver, etc. I'm constantly amazed by the lack of responsibility.
                        I'm more often a pedestrian than a driver, and I think violation of the crosswalk law is equal among drivers and pedestrian. As for "eye contact," that's a myth. Three examples:

1. About a month ago I was at a crosswalk with a car on my left waiting to turn when traffic cleared. The light turned green for me. I looked at the car, but the tinting was so dense I could not actually see the woman's face (the outline of her hair indicated she was a she). The car was stopped, I was peering into the densely tinted window, and I began to cross the street. then she began to plow into me. Her head must have been turned to her left, watching for oncoming traffic, but I could not see her eyes. She stopped in time, after driving me three feet, almost into traffic, and apologized profusely.

2. A couple of years ago, in Chinatown, I was at an intersection. The light turned green for me. I looked to my left--no cars. I crossed. A car on the opposite side turned slowly into the intersection. I looked at the driver (a Chinese lady in her 80s). I was half-way across my side of the crosswalk when she proceeded to speed up. I glared at her as she kept coming. Both her hands were glued to the wheel, and she had a terrified look in her eyes as she kept coming at me. I managed to evade the vehicle and made it to the other side.

3. I'm at King and Punahou Streets, mauka side, heading diamondhead (across from Pee Wee Drive Inn). A lane on my right on King Street has vehicles waiting to turn left onto Punahou. Light turns green. I cross. The immediate danger are the cars on my right turning left onto Punahou. But they are in back of me (usually). There is no way I am going to walk backwards in order to establish "eye contact" with the drivers in back of me, or turn my head almost 180 degrees. Three or four times, there have have instances where the cars on my right sped BEHIND me (into oncoming traffic) then veered to their right to get back into the correct lanes. They couldn't wait for me to get to the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                          [...]
                          I'm more often a pedestrian than a driver, and I think violation of the crosswalk law is equal among drivers and pedestrian.
                          I completely agree with you.
                          As for "eye contact," that's a myth.[...]
                          There are definitely situations when eye contact isn't possible.
                          However, for those times that it is, well, when I'm a pedestrian I won't cross the street without making eye contact with a driver at a stop *sign*! Sorry, didn't mention that! As a driver, when a pedestrian makes eye contact with me I wave them on so they know I saw them.

I can't find my original post about the instance I'm about to explain. It absolutely blew me away because it involved 2 children under 10 years old. I was at a stop sign on Hobron in Waikiki. A boy around 10 needed to cross the street and waited til he made eye contact with me. I waved him on and he stopped right in front of my car, turned around and waited for a younger boy on a scooter...a little guy of about 6 or 7, iirc. Older boy blocked my car 'til little guy crossed and was on the sidewalk. I rolled down my window and told older boy to congratulate his parents for giving him such good direction. I was so proud of that kid it made me cry. If only adults were as conscientious!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            I'm hoping somebody can clarify the crosswalk rules for me, as I want to be a better driver, but be fair to fellow motorists and pedestrians.
                            As I understand it, if they are on your half of the roadway, or in immanent danger, you must yield. It also seems that it's illegal to pass a car that stopped for a pedestrian (although how you're supposed to tell isn't clear.)

Keep in mind that if you're in the center lane, then both sides are "your half".

What isn't clear is if the pedestrian is crossing against the light. (Yeah, bad on him, but legally where does that leave you??)

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            I think violation of the crosswalk law is equal among drivers and pedestrian.
                            Probably true, but that's not the way it seems - and I think I know why. Cars travel in "packs" that go about the same speed. A driver will only see a few other drivers in their trip, but will pass many pedestrians.

A pedestrian won't see that many other pedestrians, but will be passed by many cars.

So I think a pedestrian is more likely to see a bad driver, and a driver is more likely to see a bad pedestrian. And that's not counting any biases.

Comment

Working...
                            X