Thai Food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai Food?

Specifically, I'm curious if there are any thai food options in downtown Honolulu (is Champa Thai on Nuuanu still there?). But more broadly, I'd be interested in your thoughts as to local thai food options overall. I'm not a picky eater, so I wouldn't know good from great, but I've heard more than a few folks say there aren't any decent thai places.

The only thai restaurant I ever went to that tasted good enough to think it was remarkable was in Kailua... and I can't even remember the name!

Re: Thai Food?

Oh the one across from Longs McCully on S. King Street is pretty good.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Ah. That must be Chiang Mai Thai Cuisine at 2239 S King St. (Closer to downtown there's Mekong Restaurant II at 1726 S King St.) I was hoping to be within walking distance of Chinatown, however.

According to the Hawaii Diner directory of Thai restaurants, there are two in the Maunakea Market Place: Malee Thai Vietnam Cuisine, and Cheunwea Lao Thai. Anyone familiar with them? At least there, if you don't like what you see, you've got a lot of other choices.

Further out, there's Krung Thai Restaurant at 1028 Nuuanu Ave - which is right in my neighborhood - and Club New Pattaya at 1333 Nuuanu Ave. Again, any reviews?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        The only thai restaurant I ever went to that tasted good enough to think it was remarkable was in Kailua... and I can't even remember the name!
        It's Chao Phya . And it's in Kaneohe.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Club New Pattaya at 1333 Nuuanu Ave. Again, any reviews?
          LarryG from egullet swears by this place. I haven't made it down there to try but hope to within the next couple of weeks. Of the various ones I have tried, I haven't found any that I would consider really good Thai food so I'm looking forward to checking this one out. He does mention that it is bar which serves food - not a restaurant with a bar. Not surprising, some of the best Thai food I've ever eaten has been in bars.

Comment

Not if it were Thai prison bars! But then again a lot of Thai food is basic fare in Thailand so Thai prison food may be gourmet to American standards
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Former Mayor Harris and his wife used to have lunch at Krung Thai Resturant often. The owner is very picky on things being neat and clean. Theres also a place in the back where you can eat in an open garden. Not to many like that around town nowadays. Prices are reasonable.

The one at Maunakea Market Place is on your far right hand side when you come in from the front entrance from Maunakea. It's next to the Japanese Food Booth. Her food is excellent but the whole place is messy. Infact, I don't trust eating at Maunakea Market Place for who knows how long the food stays in the warmers. I've heard horrible stories of people getting sick...none from the Thai Place, so you can chance um. Infact, she makes everything from scratch. I ordered a soup that had shitake mushrooms, beef, sliced onions, etc. Was great than I had to spoil it, by agreeing to put a mix of hot sauces into it. Talk about burning ones mouth? My friends couldn't stop laughing cause I couldn't talk...kept drinking water and sucking ice.........
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
              X