Searching for Akila Nihoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Akila Nihoa

I really, truly hope some heads roll over this story. Akila Nihoa, a 12-year old boy with fetal alcohol syndrome and under state guardianship, went missing last Halloween when he went trick-or-treating and never returned to his foster home. Because of some stupid State rules regarding confidentiality, he wasn't officially declared missing by the police until March 8, and apparently until the story hit the Advertiser this morning, the public still didn't know he was missing.

Just because he's a ward of the State doesn't mean the State had no obligation to start publicizing his disappearance as soon as the foster home notified the police and Family Court. To think that this child's life could be in danger should have been the State's foremost consideration. Yes, he has problems, but he is still a child and not something that should be tossed aside like 'opala.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Searching for Akila Nihoa

Boy found by father. Still the system needs to changed. Six months to process the investigation and ask for Public Help. Auwe!
    Last edited by 1stwahine; April 21, 2005, 05:04 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Searching for Akila Nihoa

Here's the story about Akila's return by his parents. If his picture and this story had been released sooner, he would have been back in foster care sooner, and probably much safer. He was taken away from his parents because they couldn't control him. Whether his family "kidnapped" him or he found his way back home on his own, the State refuses to say, but since his parents' custodial rights were taken away, they should have notified the State as soon as he showed up on their front steps.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X