Manoa v. Hilo: Hawaiian Language Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manoa v. Hilo: Hawaiian Language Programs

As someone who's always admired the Hawaiian language work at UH Hilo, and long fantasized about returning for a Master's degree, I found the simmering rivalries exposed in this report about UH Manoa's new program quite enlightening. And disappointing.

Hawaiian master’s degree approved after heated debate
    Craig Gima, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Friday, April 22, 2005
    UH-Hilo associate professor Larry Kimura testified that he had concerns that the UH-Manoa program needed to be more academically rigorous, with requirements as tough as other languages like Chinese or Japanese... Kimura said that when Hilo offered its master's program, it was required to consult with UH-Manoa professors. But UH-Manoa did not consult with UH-Hilo in developing its program. He also noted that the Hilo program has yet to be fully funded.

An angry Lilikala Kame'eleihiwa, director of the Center for Hawaiian Studies, criticized Kimura, noting that he only has a master's, not a doctorate. "We're not duplicating (UH-Hilo). We're outdoing them," Kame'eleihiwa said.
    I tell you what, UH Manoa may continue to get the lion's share of resources, and all the fawning attention, but for my money, UH Hilo is still the way to go.

Re: Manoa v. Hilo: Hawaiian Language Programs

Can't they all just get along?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Re: Manoa v. Hilo: Hawaiian Language Programs

The entire university system in Hawaii is a disaster. It's plagued by a bunch of warring petty dictators who have forgotten they are supposed to be there for the benefit of the students.
      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
      X