The Glades Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Glades Project

The Glades Project is a documentary in the making that will take another year. They are looking for anyone who can share what they remember, experienced and so forth at the Glades on Hotel Street. They also will be going to several cities across America to interview and film many who are not here but played a relevant role.

The Glades Project has been and will continue researching for the next year. There is also a need for photographs, commemorative items, printed materials such as newspaper articles, wardrobe from the shows, and film of The Glades and Downtown Honolulu from this time.

The Glades Project team can be contacted by email at info@TheGladesProject.com, or by phone at 808-782-5610, or via mail at THE GLADES PROJECT, P.O. Box 11884, Honolulu, HI 96828.

Connie M. Florez or Susan Harris
    THE GLADES PROJECT
    808-782-5610
    info@TheGladesProject.com

I know the owner of Glades. He's still alive and kicking...he's our own Fire Chief's father. Just had to put that one in!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule!
    Last edited by 1stwahine; April 22, 2005, 11:13 AM. Reason: something wrong with lettering.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: The Glades Project

I was too young (still a teenager in the 70's) and I remember Glades Nightclub. We would drive by (you could drive your car on Hotel street those days) and those buggahs would give us one "Free Show" Ho da sick when we saw da bulge undaneath.

In 1977 I got one major slap in the face from my then girlfriend when as we drove by those "darlings" in front of Glades that they looked better than she did. WHAP!! Boy did I deserve that one.

Is Club Hubba Hubba still there? Kinda across the street from Glades.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      yep but shuttered.

Comment

Boy those were the days. There was Arirong (spelling?) and what was the Korean Bar where Dunkin' Donuts is on Kapiolani BLVD. Lets see some of the props used were: shooting ping pong balls and hard boiled eggs, picking up a stack of quarters, smoking cigars, and that clear lucite swing where she would lift and shoot a glow stick thru the air! Oh yeah and the gal who could play Dixie on her flute. All these props were used by those young women's lips and I ain't talking about their mouths. Oh boy Miss Star Wars where are you (I think her last name was Pai, her brother was my classmate at Kalani)
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 22, 2005, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Boy those were the days. There was Arirong (spelling?) and what was the Korean Bar where Dunkin' Donuts is on Kapiolani BLVD. ....

Arirong in considering those as the good ol days?
          naaah.

Comment

mmm, mmmmm, mmm...

ah, it's nice living on a trust fund, isn't it!?

Comment

it was fun for me. And I wouldn't know what living on a trust fund is like cuz I ain't.
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 22, 2005, 12:45 PM.

Comment

and hey, whoa!
                never saw this before...
                just noticed another "Glades" related thread on H.T.:
                called:

Interchangeable Parts (Tranny & Engine swaps)

Comment

I was too young (still a teenager in the 70's) and I remember Glades Nightclub. We would drive by (you could drive your car on Hotel street those days) and those buggahs would give us one "Free Show" Ho da sick when we saw da bulge undaneath.

In 1977 I got one major slap in the face from my then girlfriend when as we drove by those "darlings" in front of Glades that they looked better than she did. WHAP!! Boy did I deserve that one.

I was a teenager during that time. You lucky you had the experience of driving by and getting a free show! Me, I raised in the area, family owned businesses in the area, so I couldn't make fun. Years later and presently, many have become my friends that I adore and have so much goodtime with. One thing good is that if anyone would happen to go into a "gay " bar and make trouble with me...all of a sudden LOW voices would come out of the pretty darlings telling the buggah, "hey! buddy leave our sista/auntie alone or we going broke your okole!"

Hubba Hubba...just so happens to be located next to the closed downed "Benny's Resturant" that my family owned for many years. The owner wants to fix it up again like it was in the hey day. Upstairs is satisfactory but now with the Loft in Chinatown being a new thing to try out, who knows if the Hubba Hubba will ever return. Tourists still take pictures of it's marquee, which is still hanging for dear life. The cement on the wall fronting the building slowly drops and makes it dangerous for anyone who passes by. How do I know this? I was the one who was sweeping the cement for years.

Aaah...the memories. Hotel Street was a place to go! It was never a dull moment, colorful people, sailors, gypseys, etc. Where have all the flowers gone? Long time passes....

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule!

Comment

Like I said, those were the good old days. After cruising Hotel street we would go cruising down to Waikiki and check out Kuhio Avenue for some real peep shows.

Comment

remember takin da bus from Kukui gardens to hang waikiki side. went thru Hotel St.
                      Da mahus get on da buss, walk by.
                      Ho what went on in a teenager's mind:
                      "Eh. wot kine dat.
                      one kane o' wahine!?"
                      Wot i goin do? geev um my seat o wot?! Den you spok da t'ing hangin below da miniskirt. I leave my seat but only for lurch wikiwiki to da nearest open window.
                      azz why hahd, ah?!
                      no need wonder how da bus get multicolored design on outside.

Comment

Like I said, those were the good old days. After cruising Hotel street we would go cruising down to Waikiki and check out Kuhio Avenue for some real peep shows.
                        Rockza!
                        deja Vu!

Comment

Geez Kimo what you get two browser windows open? Man I can't keep up with your posts. You're like all over the place. But then I got dial up

Comment

hahahahahahahahahahah!me too, i got dial up by choice. brokimo got all the new technical gagets and old ones he got on hotel street back in dem days!hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Comment

Geez Kimo what you get two browser windows open? Man I can't keep up with your posts. You're like all over the place. But then I got dial up

G4
                              road runner.
                              Coffee.
                              Tons o ram.
                              1575 GB HD space.
                              Heavy on da MHZ/clockspeed.
                              Two widescreen flat monitors.
                              Multitasking.
                              Postproduction work too, rendering slow. makes me hit H.T. too often.
                              Thinking of happy hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X