Medical lab tests being outsourced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical lab tests being outsourced

First, it was the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs overseas, now apparently some hospital systems are also outsourcing the reading of diagnostic tests overseas.

I'm not sure I would want my x-ray to be viewed by someone who received it over the internet and then printed it out in Bangalore. The medical standards and training in India are not as good as ours, and what if there was a splotch on the copy of the x-ray film that was printed in India so that Indian radiologist or technician diagnosed me with lung cancer, when in fact it was just an artifact? I see a disaster waiting to happen, and it's all in the name of saving money.

If we start outsourcing jobs in the service sector (like the McD drive ins that use order takers hundreds of miles away from the squawk box you're sitting next to), what will we have for work in this country?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Medical lab tests being outsourced

One of the advances is that X-Ray images are not done on film but are captured digitally. I don't know how widespread it is but I know my dentist has been using the technology for at least a year and a few months ago I had a MRI done which they gave me a CD that held the images taken.

Comment

Re: Medical lab tests being outsourced

Originally posted by helen
      One of the advances is that X-Ray images are not done on film but are captured digitally. I don't know how widespread it is but I know my dentist has been using the technology for at least a year and a few months ago I had a MRI done which they gave me a CD that held the images taken.
      The digital part doesn't bother me (my health care system is using PACS now); it's the fact that health care systems might be asking doctors in India to read and diagnose the results that concerns me.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There oughta be a law restricting this...

And apparently Congress is working on regulations to restrict "nighthawking" and to require notification to patients when this is done.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
        X