X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii and the NFL Draft

Jags take Owens
    Dave Reardon, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Monday, April 25, 2005
    "When the phone did ring, I was in the bathroom. I saw (area code) 808, and it was Coach Jones, wishing me luck and telling me to stay positive," [Chad] Owens said. A few minutes later, his phone rang again. This time it was an unfamiliar area code: 906. Jacksonville...

Kahuku and Utah alum Chris Kemoe'atu also waited longer than expected. Projected by most prognosticators to go on the first day, Kemoe'atu was chosen by the Pittsburgh Steelers, also in the sixth round, with the 204th pick overall.

Safety Aaron Francisco, Kemoe'atu's Kahuku teammate, went undrafted but joined the Arizona Cardinals quickly as a free agent. He reports to Phoenix on Friday... Defensive tackle Lui Fuga (Waipahu, UH) accepted a free-agent invitation from the San Diego Chargers. He reports for a rookie mini-camp May 5...

UH quarterback Tim Chang and cornerback Abraham Elimimian both went undrafted. Neither returned phone messages. Fullback West Keli'ikipi (Waianae, UH) did not receive any free-agent offers yesterday, according to his agent, Richard Wurdeman.

Re: Hawaii and the NFL Draft

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Jags take Owens
    Dave Reardon, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Monday, April 25, 2005
    Must be all da fish and poi da guys grind!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Best of luck to Timmy Chang with his free agent signing with Arizona. Not sure how all of this is going to work out for Timmy, especially with AZ's off-season aquisition of Kurt Warner, but I'm hoping everything will be allright for him. One thing I think I can see, if Chang makes it: When Warner comes down with his usual thumb injury (or concussion), and starts throwing excessive amounts of picks, I bet the AZ fans will be clamoring for Coach Green to put Chang in, just like the fans of every NFL team do when they have a highly touted rookie QB sitting on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
        When Warner comes down with his usual thumb injury (or concussion), and starts throwing excessive amounts of picks, I bet the AZ fans will be clamoring for Coach Green to put Chang in, just like the fans of every NFL team do when they have a highly touted rookie QB sitting on the bench.
        I hope your scenario comes true, Surfingfarmboy. Chang needs to make the team first. With his talent, hopefully, the coaching staff at Arizona will keep him on the roster. Best wishes to Chang and the others with Hawaii ties, I wish them all well in the NFL. Also, just because they don't make it to the NFL at first, they also have an option to go Arena Football and maybe impress someone enough to be taken seriously for the NFL. That's how Warner made it to the NFL.
        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I would love to see chang make it to the nfl as well
          There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

Good LuckTIMMY CHANG! and CHAD OWENS!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yes..good luck to Chad, Abe, Lui, and all the ex-HI players who have either been drafted or gone the free-agency route too!

I think Chad Owens is going to be a steal for J-ville...I have this feeling he is going to be an impact player like Ashley Lelei has become with Denver. I was kind of hoping he was going to get drafted by Philly..I think he would thrive in offense Coach Reid runs there based on the success Chad Lewis has had with the Eagles. Chad Owens and Chad Lewis, to me, seem almost as if they are copy of each other, (except for height!!)...having both of them on the field in Philly, I thought, would have been such a perfect fit.

I have to say I'm glad he's been drafted by a team in Florida...I wouldn't wish an East Coast winter on any Hawaii boy, though Itula Mili, ex-Kahuku boy, seems to play well in really cold weather, i.e., play-off games in Green Bay..remember that sub-zero game he played so well in for Seattle in playoffs 2 years ago? That was something.
              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; April 27, 2005, 02:56 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
              X