I am the Lorax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am the Lorax

Why is everyone fighting da trees? I speak for the trees for the trees have no voice. A freak accident that hurt a little girl. It's sad yes, but it was an accident. Now everybody wants to cut down the trees. Who besides me has ever heard of a case like this untill it happened? It's very rare. Can you imagine your city without them? We all know or seen tree roots cracking sidewalks. All because a sick tree fell, someone tripping on a crack makes the news.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: I am the Lorax

Originally posted by alohabear
    Why is everyone fighting da trees? I speak for the trees for the trees have no voice. A freak accident that hurt a little girl. It's sad yes, but it was an accident. Now everybody wants to cut down the trees. Who besides me has ever heard of a case like this untill it happened? It's very rare. Can you imagine your city without them? We all know or seen tree roots cracking sidewalks. All because a sick tree fell, someone tripping on a crack makes the news.
    You'r right. It wasn't the tree's fault. It was the people on whose property the tree grew on. Whether it was the State or an individual owner, that entity should have been monitoring its health. I guess people take for granted that if a tree has green leaves that it's healthy. They don't think that maybe the core of the tree might be infested with termites or rot and might pose a hazard.

Being a living organism, trees need to be tended to and nurtured in order to stay healthy and provide a source of carbon dioxide removal to help keep us humanoids healthy. A place without green trees is a dead place, as far as I'm concerned.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 27, 2005, 09:54 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I believe the intent of the City and County of Honolulu is to make sure the inspection of trees are being done. In the inspection (and there are several methods) they need to determine if the stability of the tree has been compromised due to insect infestation, rot, etc. Then a recommendation from a certified arborist on if the tree should be removed or if it can be saved without posing a risk will follow. Unfortunately, with the threat of liability should someone get hurt, coupled with testing methods not being 100% accurate, and the unpredictability of the weather (mostly winds), the owners (in this case the City and County of Honolulu) will usually opt for the conservative solution, which means that if in doubt they will choose to cut down the trees. These type of actions are a direct result of the litigeous society that we have evolved into today.
      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I am the walrus...coo coo ka-choo
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X