Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoku Awards 2005

Hoku awards could offer surprises
    Will the Brothers Cazimero bounce back from their Grammy loss and win big here at home? Will deceased artists win in major categories? What happened to the popular "Single of the Year" category? Curious minds want to know as the Hawai'i Academy of Recording Arts announces nominees in 22 categories for the 28th annual Na Hoku Hanohano Awards.
    The categories are Female Vocalist of the Year, Male Vocalist of the Year, Group of the Year, Most Promising Artist, Compilation Album, Anthology, Reggae Album, Rock Album, Instrumental Album, Jazz Album, Religious Album, Contemporary Album, Contemporary Hawaiian, Hawaiian Album, Song of the Year, Album of the Year, Haku Mele, Hawaiian Language, Favorite Entertainer, Graphics, Engineering, and Liner Notes. The nominees in Album of the Year are:
    • "Eddie Kamae: Sons of Hawaii," Eddie Kamae & The Sons of Hawaii (Hawaii Sons)
    • "Hula Jazz," Owana Salazar (Moonbow)
    • "Ke 'Ala Beauty," Na Palapalai (Koops 2)
    • "Some Call It Aloha ... Don't Tell," Brothers Cazimero (Mountain Apple)
    • "Sweet & Lovely," Raiatea Helm (Raiatea Helm)
    Any favorites?

Re: Hoku Awards 2005

Originally posted by pzarquon
    The nominees in Album of the Year are:
    • "Eddie Kamae: Sons of Hawaii," Eddie Kamae & The Sons of Hawaii (Hawaii Sons)
    • "Hula Jazz," Owana Salazar (Moonbow)
    • "Ke 'Ala Beauty," Na Palapalai (Koops 2)
    • "Some Call It Aloha ... Don't Tell," Brothers Cazimero (Mountain Apple)
    • "Sweet & Lovely," Raiatea Helm (Raiatea Helm)
    Any favorites?
    Eddie Kamae will win it as the emotional favorite of the voters, plus lots of recent publicity for his book and movies as well as for the Sons Of Hawaii. He'll beat The Caz because they've already won so many Hoku awards and he'll beat Owana and Na Palapalai because they're not quite up to the level of the others. Raiatea will come in a (well deserved) close second behind Eddie but voters will remember that she cleaned up at the Hokus last year so some of her votes will also go to Eddie.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Looks to me like Raiatea Helm will again be the big winner this year. I confess, I don't know her music at all.

Comment

Just a note to wish all the Nominees the Best of Luck for this year's awards. I'm fortunate to be attending again this year and the best part is meeting all the performers. Seeing many perform onstage and most of all seeing the smiles on their faces, winners or otherwise all are gracious to each other.
        Last edited by dcfanaddicts; May 26, 2005, 04:26 PM.

Comment

in that category... DEFINITELY hoping Eddie Kamae takes it. If anyone hasn't gotten the rereleased Sons of Hawaii cd, don't know what you're missing!

Got my fingers crossed for my nephew's group (Pali), but odds aren't in their favor. I know he's just stoked to have made it to the final round.

Comment

Pali is just an incredible artist and a wonderful person. I'm rooting for him too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolo Paka
              in that category... DEFINITELY hoping Eddie Kamae takes it. If anyone hasn't gotten the rereleased Sons of Hawaii cd, don't know what you're missing!

Got my fingers crossed for my nephew's group (Pali), but odds aren't in their favor. I know he's just stoked to have made it to the final round.
              I dunno....I think they might just snag something.

But hey I'm prejudiced

Comment

I am preparing to leave next Wednesday for Hawaii and the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards on June 3rd.
                I welcome any comments, or Sending of Good Luck you might care to send to Danny Couch prior to these Awards. My guestbook is located at

Danny's GuestBook

Your comments will be printed out and delivered directly to Danny.
                Mahalo Danny Couch Fanaddicts

Comment

Huh???

Umm...look up a couple posts

Comment

Oh yeah...Pearl Ridge shopping center is having a nominee showcase show this Sunday.

Comment

Well tonight's the big night....

*chews nails to a nub*

Comment

Congrats to Robert and Roland Caz! Also, to all the winners and nominees...only in Hawai'i.

The most beautiful language in the world spoken and sung with "Aloha!"

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; June 3, 2005, 11:02 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here's the list of winners from the Star-Bulletin. Congrats to all!

Some interesting comments in the article. Like Eddie Kamae's win "for an otherwise mediocre album of material seemingly culled at random from the Sons of Hawaii archives." And that Heineken got some free advertising!

Pali had three nominations... pity he didn't go home with any trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                            Eddie Kamae will win Album Of The Year (...)
                            Predicted on April 28; proven right on May 3.

Actually, marked the whole list of nominees with predictions and only got 65% right.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                              Looks to me like Raiatea Helm will again be the big winner this year. I confess, I don't know her music at all.
                              You nailed it, Albert! Try check her out at the listening station at Borders. She's a young Aunty Genoa and Amy H.G. Definitely worth a listen.

Comment

Working...
                              X