Wisteria Restaurant site to become 7-Eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisteria Restaurant site to become 7-Eleven

First they closed down the place, and now they're going to tear it down to make way for a 7-Eleven minimart. What's ironic is there's another 7-Eleven within 2 blocks of the lot.

Pretty soon that area of Piikoi is going to look like any other thoroughfare in America...convenience stores up the ying yang. But I guess that's what customers want.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Wisteria Restaurant site to become 7-Eleven

That's real sad. I wonder if the owners have sold KC Drive Inn to 7/11 too. I passed there on Sunday after getting Leonard's Malasadas and saw the lights on, the parking lot empty...it gave me an overwhelming feeling of loss. Some major memories from Wisteria and KC Drive Inn.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It's sad for all us customers who loved the place, but I can't blame the Asatos for closing the Wisteria. Costs are high, and running a restaurant is not an easy job. I have seen, in my own family, stores that closed because the kids had no desire to take over mom and pop's business. Sometimes carrying on the family business isn't the right thing to do. But 50 years was a hell of a run for a local restaurant; congratulations to the Asatos for doing so well for so long!

Comment

...but a 7-Eleven? That just...sucks. It's a let-down. It's a disappointment. I like 7-Elevens as much as anyone--when I passed one in Hilo on my way from the airport to my first apartment there, I knew I was going to be okay--but yeah. There's already one just down the street. Lame.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

People like to complain, but how many actually patronized the restaurant during its final months? I was there a number of times, including the final night of operation.

Maybe if there were more customers, the Wisteria wouldn't have had to close. The Asato family wasn't making enough money to justify the work they were putting in, so they called it quits. And if I'm not mistaken, none of the younger generation wanted to continue in the restaurant business.

Frank De Lima made a good point... if it wasn't a 7-Eleven that went up there, it would have probably been L&L that moved in.

Comment

adda...wibba...a 7-Eleven?? My favorite restaurant gets closed and in return we get another 7-Eleven...big fat BAH. I guess I can understand the whole thing about not wanting to run the restaurant after all this time, but it really just kills me. I suppose I can look on the bright side, which is me and my parents now migrating to Like Like Drive Inn for tasty food.
            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Wisteria's food had gone downhill for the last few years so I wasn't surprized of it's closure. I love Oyaku Donburi and once when I ordered it at Wisteria, it tasted pretty bad...wasn't even prepared in the traditional sense! How ironic as Wisteria is known for it's Japanese cuisine.

7-Elevens fill a niche in the Makiki area (high density rental market), I'm sure the people who live nearby (across the street) will appreciate the convenience of picking up a gallon of milk or sundries without having to endure the congested traffic that area sees, by just walking across the street.

I wonder how the rest of that property will be utilized. a 7-Eleven there would only fill about half the space.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                I'm sure the people who live nearby will appreciate the convenience of picking up a gallon of milk or sundries without having to endure the congested traffic that area sees,

yes! convenience! That's what we want here! and fast food and fast junk shops are willing to fill that need!

Comment

Wisteria's food had gone downhill for the last few years so I wasn't surprized of it's closure. I love Oyaku Donburi and once when I ordered it at Wisteria, it tasted pretty bad...wasn't even prepared in the traditional sense! How ironic as Wisteria is known for it's Japanese cuisine.
                  Well... I wasn't gonna go there and bust on Wisteria, but bruddah Craig started it. So it's Craig's fault.

I too found the oyako donburi a little lacking. And lots of the dishes seemed to have the same flavor, as if there was a big batch of broth that they used for everyting. Also, I felt sad over the last few years that all the motherly Japanese waitresses at Wisteria were disappearing and being replaced with more standoffish Korean ladies instead.

On the other hand, the butterfish misoyaki was always very good.

Comment

They're closed, never to return. Let them RIP. Oyako Dun "Bury" too!

Even the ghost waitress that was so well known to have taken orders will wonder around the parking lot, wondering wea the heck the building went.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I wonder how the rest of that property will be utilized. a 7-Eleven there would only fill about half the space.
                      According to the story, 7-Eleven is thinking about sub-leasing a portion of the property to retail tenants.

Comment

You know we talk about fast food, convenience and all the modern trappings of our lives nowdays, however 7-Eleven does fill an important role in our communities. In the Wal Mart threads we talk about big box retailers moving in on the old Mom and Pop grocery and sundries stores. Well I see 7-Elevens as the modern day M&P stores that allow you to walk out of your apartment/house and walk (instead of driving) to get a gallon of milk or the afternoon paper.

I mean would you rather have another Wal Mart replace Wisteria? At least a 7-Eleven will reduce the vehicular traffic somewhat for those who live nearby. And it is nice to know that if you want a light snack late at night, there's a 7-Eleven within walking distance to satisfy you.

I see nothing wrong with a 7-Eleven moving in over there. It's bringing back a sense of community the way corner grocery stores did back before the days of strip malls and big box retailing.

I'm sorry Wisteria wasn't the greatest (anymore) and I'm not too sad to see them leave. Now if Kam Bowl shuts down in Kalihi, now that would be tragic...I mean EVERYBODY KNOWS that when you want the best Ox Tail soup..it's Kam Bowl! And please if Libby's Manapua decides to close, Please let me know! As far I'm concerned, they make the best pork hash!

Comment

I have nothing against 7-Elevens per se, except isn't it kinda odd that this one will be built a couple of blocks away from one that currently exists? This is kinda like the SBUX phenomenon: in Vancouver, BC, you have 2 SBUXs right across the street from each other, and both are always busy!

Craig, you weren't kidding about 7-Eleven being the "mom and pop" equivalent of WM. They have over 28,000 outlets around the world, and more than 3,500 of the company's 5,800 stores in the US are either franchises or licensees, while the rest are company stores. And they're making money hand over fist, too.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think 7-Eleven has the same idea as ABC discount stores that dot Waikiki. The owner of ABC once responded to the question of why he has ABC stores seemingly across the street from one another?

The answer was a simple and pretty smart one: Eliminate competition by occupying all available retail space.

So for 7-Eleven, if they don't want a Circle K moving in around the block as competition, put another 7-Eleven there and share resources. Makes sense to me.

Like I said in the Wal Mart threads, don't be surprized if in the future you see small convenience stores bearing the names like "WM Groceries" and stocked with products you could swear can be found in a Wal Mart.

I think as people are abandoning their gas-guzzling cars and SUVs for more gas saving automobiles, they will also start patronizing those convenience stores around the block from where they live or work within walking distance.

My feeling is that each state should embark on zoning policies that include light commercial zones within residential communities to promote foot traffic as opposed to vehicular traffic for the surrounding community. The goals would be to make residential communities self sufficient when it comes to goods and services. Spread out those commercial establishments as small offices and retail spaces throughout the neighborhood to promote walking from the pharmacy to the beauty salon to the post office to the hot dog cart on the way to work or school.

Imagine your teenage kids walking to school or to the neighborhood 7-Eleven where they would work part time after school. Working close to home, wow what a concept!

Comment

My feeling is that each state should embark on zoning policies that include light commercial zones within residential communities to promote foot traffic as opposed to vehicular traffic for the surrounding community. The goals would be to make residential communities self sufficient when it comes to goods and services. Spread out those commercial establishments as small offices and retail spaces throughout the neighborhood to promote walking from the pharmacy to the beauty salon to the post office to the hot dog cart on the way to work or school.

Imagine your teenage kids walking to school or to the neighborhood 7-Eleven where they would work part time after school. Working close to home, wow what a concept!
                              We call those "urban villages" and I live in one now.

Comment

Working...
                              X