Teacher and Students of UH sit down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher and Students of UH sit down!

Eh, just like dem days....UH teachers and students doing a sit down at the University. They made it all the way to wat his office, da president of UH. They are protesting against having the Navy have a Research Facility dea. This should get interesting as the hours go by....... They were told that they can stay overnight but not to touch anything or destroy what he has in his office. Hmmmm....wonder what happens when it will turn into more than just an overnight stay? Pizza anyone?
    Last edited by 1stwahine; April 28, 2005, 07:37 PM. Reason: more information, why?
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Teacher and Students of UH sit down!

They're still occupying the office of the prez of UH. The teachers and students now told that they could get arrested. It's a non-violent protest...for now. fifty millon dollars at stake. who you think going win?
    Last edited by 1stwahine; April 29, 2005, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Link to their website http://www.stopuarc.info/index.html

My question is why isn't this more in the news?

Comment

Originally posted by terramera
        Link to their website http://www.stopuarc.info/index.html

My question is why isn't this more in the news?
        I assume the same reason why nobody else wants to say anything on this thread? It's obvious that in the end...UH wins. Then again, if people show that they support the teachers and students and send emails, calls or go there to protest to show support. I am outrage at the idiotic proposal of putting a Naval Research Center there for a mere $50 million. It doesn't guarantee the safety and welfare of those who attend, work, or visit the UH. Nah, people are too busy to be taking interest in something like this............thanks to your link, I sent emails.

1stwahine,
        momthreesoldiers

Comment

Also they have a petition you can sign

http://www.petitiononline.com/stopuarc/petition.html

It's truly frightening how small the responses are about this and the lack of media coverage. Looks like they've sold their soul for $50 million.

Comment

Originally posted by terramera
            Also they have a petition you can sign

http://www.petitiononline.com/stopuarc/petition.html

It's truly frightening how small the responses are about this and the lack of media coverage. Looks like they've sold their soul for $50 million.
            I signed the petition, my first online. This is also the first "protest" I've ever really took part of. Hopefully, others will join the effort. However, realistically like I said before...50 million is more than enough to sway the votes to the Naval Research Center. shame, shame, shame. Why don't they get rid of whats on Ford Island and put it there? Auwe!

As of 5:33 pm. 116 signatures and counting. come people, show your support!
            8:00 pm. 122 signatures, six in 2 1/2 hours? what gives?
            Last edited by 1stwahine; April 30, 2005, 08:11 PM. Reason: update on signatures

Comment

The Advertiser reported on the proposed $50 million Naval Research contract that the UH wants.

Up here in Seattle, residents in the neighborhoods around the University of Washington are also concerned, because the DoD wants to build a research lab that will be testing biological agents. The neighborhoods are worried that some mutant strain of virus could get loose and cause all kinds of havoc in the area.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thank Miulang for the link to the Advertiser.

excerpt from article by Beverly Creamer:

"It's not a situation if you have this kind of funding the Navy is going to take over your lab, take over your program," Ostrander said. "But the fact is that the U.S. government can come in and classify any work or any research at any time."

Got that right. No warning, nothing. all it would take is a leak, an accident...then poof be gone for all of us, eh?

I can not believe that from last night only 150 signatures. The signatures for the home lottery is well over 2,000+...how come?

Comment

Update: 210 signatures. President McClain will speak to group tomarrow regarding their terms. Hope he makes the right decision and don't sell UH out.

Interesting, will observe. Go BOWS!

Comment

Amy Goodman from Democracy Now! interviewed Ikaika Hussey, one of the protesters who is occupying the UH President's Office. Too bad these kids and profs can't get their fellow students and teachers to pay more attention to the reasons for the protest.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Amy Goodman from Democracy Now! interviewed Ikaika Hussey, one of the protesters who is occupying the UH President's Office. Too bad these kids and profs can't get their fellow students and teachers to pay more attention to the reasons for the protest.

Miulang
                      Yes, it's really sad. The online petition only has 286 signatures. I simply can't understand it. Maybe, they need a marketing expert?

Comment

First you gotta tell the students to take the Ipod earbuds outta their ears so they can understand what the protest is all about

Then you gotta pay the professors more salary so they can effectively teach the students why there is this protest.

With UH students listening to their MP3 players in class and underpaid college professors it's no wonder the response to this protest was dismal at best. Somehow I think the campus culture has lost it's ability to rally. I mean just a few weeks ago we talked about that bizzare rape awareness rally at the base of the Student Center at UH Manoa!
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Simply put, they can't top the students of yesteryears! That alone could start another thread. Brains, guts, and awareness not only for our aina but for the world.

Comment

That's true Auntie. Not many people will even stop to think about the fact that today is the 35th anniversary of the National Guard slaughter of students at Kent State University in Ohio (remember the song by CSNY "Four Dead in Ohio"?)

I remember attending a large memorial service for the slain at the University of Utah gymnasium. I remember the huge mobilization of students from around the country to the atrocity. I remember the antiwar demonstrations that occurred after that.

I also remember being very idealistic back then. Which is a damned sight better than the kids today who only care about their iPods and themselves. Where did our society go wrong?

Miulang

More history on the events leading up to the massacre at Kent State.
                            Last edited by Miulang; May 4, 2005, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Mahalo for making me remember. I too, remember the slain students. I too, know that if the students don't get rid of their ipods and whatever's and start caring about the aina and the world...we are definitely in the last days.

Comment

Working...
                              X