Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waikiki Spam Jam

It's on, Spam fans, tomorrow on Kalakaua Avenue! The Waikiki Spam Jam:
    More than 20,000 celebrants are expected to cheer the glory of Spam along Kalakaua Avenue. They'll have their choice of luncheon-meat-infused foods (consider, from the Radisson Prince Kuhio Hotel, Reconstructed Spam Chicken Cordon Bleu with Sherry Cream Sauce). And to top it off, they will crown Hawaii's first Mr. or Ms. Spam, from among five finalists chosen for their ideas for a Spam commercial.
    The Star-Bulletin is launching a spam musubi recipe contest, and Betty Shimabukuro highlights some benefit cookbooks. Hungry yet?

Re: Waikiki Spam Jam

Nobody loves SPAM as much as people on/from Guam. The annual Great SPAM Cook Off Island Style sends the winner to Austin, Minnesota to compete in the nationals. Hot & Spicy SPAM was created for the Guam market. Here's a link to some of the prize winning recipes. http://www.guamdiner.com/recipe/list.php?category=23 Check out the Rellenong Bangus and the Curry Nasi Goreng.

Hawaii should have more than a SPAM musubi contest. Lots of creative cooks here without doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
      Nobody loves SPAM as much as people on/from Guam.
      Sounds like a challenge to me! Did Hormel make a special Guam edition of the Spam can? See anyone from Guam on the roster for the Spam Museum Jam? Any mention of Guam on the Spam Fact Sheet? ("Over 6.7 million cans are sold annually in Hawaii, which equals 5.5 cans per year per Hawaiian.") Huh? Huh?

And I thought "Hot & Spicy" Spam was created for the Southern U.S. market. That's one of the places where it's a big seller.

We went. Spicy spam poke (with ginger and sushi rice on crispy fried nori), pulled pork and spam quesaldillas, spam salsa, and more. I was actually surprised to see lots of dishes with no spam in it (though my wife was relieved!)... and fewer food vendors than I remember in years past.

Funniest moment? Seeing a tourist ordering a "steak with spam and rice" plate, meekly telling the vendor to hold the spam.

Comment

I see you are taking this as a personal challenge to uphold the honor of Hawaii and SPAM! Excellent.

Regarding the special cans there have been at least two that I know of with the most recent commemorating the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Guam. The can was noted and pictured in the HawaiiDiner.com newsletter of June 18, 2004. Also refer to this link to one of my favorite foodblogs where additional photos and facts are found. http://scentofgreenbananas.blogspot....s_archive.html (entry 20041005)
        SPAM museum curator Shawn Radford is quoted regarding the Hot & Spicy SPAM which does have a unique formulation for Guam. I was unable to confirm whether Guam was the motivating factor in developing H&S SPAM but it debuted there and was reformulated to make it hotter for the Guam consumer.

One of the reasons for the misconception about consumption is that Hawaii's highest consumption rank is only in relation to other states. Guam is considered part of the international market and Guam consumes an average of 15-16 cans per person compared to Hawaii's 6-8 cans (depending on what stats you look at).

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          The Star-Bulletin is launching a spam musubi recipe contest...
          And the winner is:

Musubi man
          Betty Shimabukuro, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Wednesday, May 25, 2005
          The winner was a Spam-based musubi, but with Korean flavoring, a dose of kim chee and a twist that at first seemed suspicious, but really did work -- cream cheese mixed in with the rice. It came from Kent Thompson, a former cook for Sam Choy's restaurant, now a stay-at-home dad. "Kim chee and cream cheese is a good combination," Thompson says. He uses it as a dip and a won ton filling. This time, "I just used the rice as a medium to hold it together. ... I feel the creaminess of the cheese goes with the rice. I'm local. I like mayonnaise and rice."

Comment

Working...
          X