StumbleUpon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StumbleUpon

I just had to share one of the coolest things on the Internet. Stumbleupon.com I just discovered it looking through the extensions for the Firefox browser but I gues it's been around since 2002. Their blurb:

"StumbleUpon is an intelligent browsing tool for sharing and discovering great websites. As you click Stumble!, you'll get high-quality pages matched to your personal preferences. These pages have been explicitly recommended (rated I like it) by friends and other SU members with similar interests. Rating these sites shares them with your friends and peers – you will automatically 'stumble upon' each others favorites sites."

It's free and I haven't noticed any increase in SPAM since using it. It also workes with IE, Mac & Linux.

Enjoy!

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Re: Stumble

One of my favorite "community bookmark sharing" services is del.icio.us. It's one of the sites commonly cited in discussions of "tagging" and "folksonomies" as a method of collectively organizing information.

Comment

The problem with stumble is that is seems browser specific to Mozilla... Firefox in particular. If you regularly use Safari (on the Mac) then you are out of luck unless you have Firefox.

Shouldn't websites be browser independent?
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNSoKona
        It also workes with IE, Mac & Linux.
        ...at least that’s what they say on their website. Stumbleupon is a browser plugin but all the links presented by Stumbleupon are not browser specific. I just like it because, as opposed to a static list of websites, it's a surprise every time you click it based on your predefined interests.

Comment

Here is one of the many many cool websites brought up by Stumbleupon
          link that I never would have found otherwise. Of course I like this sort of thing.

Comment

Or this: Who's On First for the Next Generation

Comment

...or this: Chicken Philosophy

Comment

Bumping to say that I'm playing with StumbleUpon again. I don't like how it slows things down a bit (I turned of 'pre-fetching stumbles'), and I'm only moderately entertained an enlightened by one out of five or so random links, but it's still amusing enough to keep around for now.

If you're a StumbleUpon user, post your user profile or username so I can add your favorite sites to the mix. I'm here (starting over, since I can't recover the login to my old account).

This is part of a social bookmarking kick I'm on, though sites like StumbleUpon and Digg have different models than the one I'm focusing on (a la the aforementioned del.icio.us)... but that's another thread for another day!

Comment

Working...
                X