Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unix

Are there Unix users here?

I've been aware of Unix for many years now and have used it off and on for a number of years, especially since getting my internet account with LavaNet. I don't consider myself a good Unix user. Fact is I merely dabble though I know a lot of the basic commands and occasionally use some of the common shell programs like pine, mail, tin, lynx and others.

I'm also a member of a public Unix site called SDF Public Access Unix System where I have one of my websites hosted. I think SDF is one of the best public access unix places around. You can obtain a free shell account and get to use a number of unix programs on their server or spring $36 for a lifetime ARPA membership and get more options and more webspace. I think it is a good deal. You folks might want to check it out.

Lastly like every Mac OSX user out there, we now have Unix installed as our base underneath our pretty operating system. You can access your Mac Unix shell using the terminal program. However if you don't know what you are doing and dabble with the wrong programs or whatever, you can cause harm to your Mac. Just a word of warning.

Anyway, I just set this up so that people can discuss Unix.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Unix

The servers that host my apps are either Windoze or Unix (Solaris). I know enough about Unix commands to be dangerous, but otherwise, it's all geek to me. I think Unix is a far safer OS than MS because fewer people use it.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      The servers that host my apps are either Windoze or Unix (Solaris). I know enough about Unix commands to be dangerous, but otherwise, it's all geek to me. I think Unix is a far safer OS than MS because fewer people use it.
      I've made it a point that all the websites that I run or mantain avoid Windows servers at all costs. I prefer Unix for web serving mainly because there are fewer malwares for Unix vs. Windows. The commercial hosts do a good job of managing the servers so that customers need to only worry about managing content, which is good.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I know enough about Unix such that I am way under the rank of wizard and way above the rank of a novice user.

Interactive computing has changed over the years. It used to be in the late 70's, 80's and early 90's that the reason why one would have access to a Unix system (and other multi-user interactive systems) would be developing computer programs (and of course using them as well).

Today it's just checking for email and maintain web pages.

Comment

Unix is what pays the bills for me. I think I've dealt with most major variants of it (*bsd, linux, Solaris, IRIX, HP/UX, etc.) I think I have cygwin installed on all of the windows boxes that I have too. I dunno how anyone gets any work done without a shell.
          I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
          X