Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any fairy godmothers out there who can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fairy godmothers out there who can help?

Any fairy godmothers out there who can help out a Cinderella-type in need?

I will be attending a black tie event here on Oahu very, very soon. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a dress I'll never wear again, so I wanted recommendations from anyone who knows of places that carry discounted formalware/gently used formal dresses.

Most of the dresses I find are either too big (I'm a small size two), in "young colors/cuts" that make me look like I'm going to a high school prom (not good, since I'm in my mid-20s and am already often mistaken for being much younger), or just outdated 80s-style/gaudy. Ideally I'd like to find a simple dress, perhaps all one color, with minimal embellishments, floor-length but with a slit so I can actually walk without feeling hobbled (picky, aren't I? )

Places I've checked so far:

Goodwill Store on Beretania
    Salvation Army store on Nimitz
    Savers
    Ross on Ward
    Saks in Waikele Outlet Stores
    Sears in Ala Moana
    Macy's in Ala Moana

Somebody mentioned consignment stores or stores in Downtown (Chinatown?); anybody have any suggestions for specific places? I'm willing to drive anywhere on Oahu, as long as they might have what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance as always...

Re: Any fairy godmothers out there who can help?

so if it's a "Black Tie" event then why are you looking for a dress?

Try checking out those consignment stores around Kapahulu and the one on the old Waialae Avenue Road. My wife said she saw some magnificant dresses there from women rich enough not wanting to be seen wearing one dress twice in her life.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The Ultimate You, at Ward Center, is the place for high-class consignment used clothes. Here's an article that mentions some other places, but as it's a few years old, no guarantee that they're all still there.

Comment

Here's a list of consignment shops in Honolulu with their phone numbers. Maybe you can call some of them (Ultimate You is still around) and ask if they have evening wear in size 2 before you go traipsing all over creation. Or maybe you can buy 2 pieces (like a black sequined top and a long velvet skirt instead of one dress...that way maybe you can reuse the top with something less formal, or buy another top that's flashy in case you ever have to go to another black tie event.) It'd probably be more cost effective to go with the separates than to try to find one dress. Or what about a holoku?

Carmen's 2nd Story Consignment Boutique 593-1160
        Comme Ci Comme Ca Consignment 734-8869
        Consignment Corner 739-0888
        Consignment Manoa 988-7442
        Da Second Hand Shop 947-8735
        Fashion Consignment Center 488-8110
        Kalabash Kids 732-4581
        Miss Kitty's Consignment Inc 538-6328
        Pzazz 955-5800
        Swap Shop 951-8585
        Three Generations & Consignment Boutique 263-5700
        Ultimate You The 591-8388
        Zakka 732-9888

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know the name of the place but it's on North/South King Street across the street from Hawaii Business College. It is going out of business so I don't know the status of it's inventory.

There is also a Ross on Keeaumoku/Kanunu and I think there is one behind the Ward 16 theater complex.

There are a couple of dress stores on Makaloa Street across the street from Tower Records on Keeaumoku Street.

It's been a month or two but the JC Penny web site has a few choices for the bridesmaid/prom dresses.

Comment

Should be good for shopping right now because of Mother's Day sales...

Nordstrom's Outlet behind the Ward Theaters

Macy's in Kahala is the best, especially if they have sales (I think they have a shoe and purse sale going on at the moment) so good for accessories.

Once in a blue moon I find some good stuff at Ross', the best time is on Thursdays when they have new shipments (however it may have changed so you have to ask)

It's tough finding long skirts because the style right now are miniskirts with ruffles, and pastels because of Spring. I'm sick of pink and green.

Have you ever considered about renting a dress? They do alterations and some have a large selection. Try Masako Formals
            or a "wedding dress/tux renting" place.

Also floor length.. hmm how about one of those chinese dresses? You can get one in chinatown and they're always cool.

Comment

don't know much about dresses, but i do know there is a storefront on king street between nuuanu and bethel that has the kind of thing you've described...it's on the mauka side of king, and they have a sign that says everything in there is 60% off...i think they may be going out of business...good luck
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

Are you willing to borrow a dress? I have a size 2 all purple floor-length gown. There isn't a slit in it, but it is very easy to walk in. I absolutely love the dress, so I'm not willing to give it away or sell it, but maybe, just maybe I'll let you borrow it. Drop me an email since I rarely come to this site. Jemmie211 at yahoo dot com
                The inability to hear is a nuisance; The inability to communicate a tragedy. Hear my hands!

Comment

Working...
                X