High Tech jobs, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Tech jobs, anyone?

Well, big business wins again. The Immigration Services Dept. will release another 20,000 H1-B visas next week, which will allow foreigners holding at least a Master's Degree from an American university to be able to fill positions mostly in the technology sector.

So what this means is that the best and brightest of the foreign students will be in direct competition with US citizens who may be looking for the same jobs. Call this kind of a reverse outsourcing, I guess. Instead of sending the work overseas, bring the workers to this country.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: High Tech jobs, anyone?

I'm not prejudice. However, I do have a hard time talking and being patient at the same time when it's a foreigner. I get really nasty when it's over the phone. More nastier when it's Microsoft or Verizon technical assistance. I usually hang up and go without the help. I find the trauma is not worth having.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      I'm not prejudice. However, I do have a hard time talking and being patient at the same time when it's a foreigner. I get really nasty when it's over the phone. More nastier when it's Microsoft or Verizon technical assistance. I usually hang up and go without the help. I find the trauma is not worth having.
      Ohhhhh Maaaan, you & me both!.
      Talking about "trauma", here & that's a no laughing matter!.
      I'm not prejudice, either, but those kind people shouldn't even be hired to begin with, unless they know how to speak proper english! I had the worse experience with them when I had to deal with help with my HP!. Oh gawd!. It was like puling hairs with those people!. Can't understand a word of what they were saying!. I think the only reasons that they would be hired is because they are just getting paid in a very low U.S. currency amount & they are willing to take it, because US $$$ is very high to them. I had to go through that for maybe a year or less when my HP was brand new.
      I think just for safety sake, they should & need to just hire people who speak very well & fluently in their english so that we can understand them properly!.NOt some just ok & can get by in speaking english people!.GRRRR!
      Thank goodness for my signature down below.
      Whew!. LOL.
      Last edited by Serenity; May 4, 2005, 11:25 AM.
      Aches & Pains
      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Well, the foreigners who would be allowed to work in this country under the H1-B visas would probably all speak pretty good English, considering that they have to have at least a Master's Degree from an accredited US college in order to qualify. Unfortunately, foreigners with Master's Degrees are not going to want $15/hour jobs on a help desk.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

IBM cutting 10,000 jobs globally

Well, maybe some of the people who will be given pink slips by IBM in Europe will want to cross the Atlantic and work in the US with H1-B visas. But lemme tell you, the British accent (especially from some of the outlying areas) ain't that easy to understand, either. (And their brand of humor, with the exception of M. Python and Benny Hill, kinda sucks).

Miulang

Comment

Working...
          X