Leave The Sharks Alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave The Sharks Alone

Why is the STATE always picking on the mano whenever a surfer or swimmer gets attacked? Isn't it their ocean home that we humans are invading? I always get sick when I hear about sharks "being hunted" like the other day at Maui's Tavares beach. Hawaiians respected the mano....nowdays tourists are more important. There's no need to "look" for the shark in a few seconds the shark is gone anyways.
    Last edited by alohabear; May 5, 2005, 06:23 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Leave The Sharks Alone

Torches and pitchforks, yeah? The instinct for revenge is unfortunately very human.

I'd sure be pissed if a shark took a chunk of me, or all of me, or took someone I loved. But considering the other benefits we as humans get by claiming a very high rung on the food chain, overall I think it's pretty damn fair that there be a couple of creatures with us on their menu.

I think what's especially strange is how we read about "wild animals penetrating deep into inhabited neighborhoods" and, in this case, shark attacks. They're not the invaders, after all... we are!

Comment

A few years back there was a white-tip shark that took up residence inside the reef at Hanauma Bay (in the large sandy area just inside the Cable Channel cut through the reef). Not surprisingly, lots of folks wanted it killed or removed, but HB Manager Alan Hong correctly said that the shark had far more right to be there than humans did, especially since the Bay is a marine sanctuary. (Applause for Alan!)
      After a few weeks, however, the lifeguards started annoying the shark by shaking its tail, and it eventually left to seek more peaceful surroundings.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
        Why is the STATE always picking on the mano whenever a surfer or swimmer gets attacked? Isn't it their ocean home that we humans are invading? I always get sick when I hear about sharks "being hunted" like the other day at Maui's Tavares beach. Hawaiians respected the mano....nowdays tourists are more important. There's no need to "look" for the shark in a few seconds the shark is gone anyways.
        Yeah what do they do?... Ask the shark for a DNA sample?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          A few years back there was a white-tip shark that took up residence inside the reef at Hanauma Bay (in the large sandy area just inside the Cable Channel cut through the reef). Not surprisingly, lots of folks wanted it killed or removed, but HB Manager Alan Hong correctly said that the shark had far more right to be there than humans did, especially since the Bay is a marine sanctuary. (Applause for Alan!)
          Agreed! It's great to see a City official protecting the resource, even at the risk of facing the wrath of the grubbers of tourist money.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Working...
          X