skittish new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skittish new guy

just got here about a week ago...lots of smart people, not something i'm used to, being a rock musician...i'm a little intimidated and afraid to sound like a donkey, but i suspect it will pass...you all seem quite nice...aloha!
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Re: skittish new guy

Originally posted by jdub
    ...being a rock musician...
    Ooh, tell us more!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

hmmm...well, i started gigging in honolulu back in the early 90's, moved to the Bay Area to make touring more economically and physically viable...moved back to honolulu in 2000 to be with my ailing father (who has since recovered) and now i'm a freelance writer with a couple of working bands on the side...

i had great deal of fun on the road for a few years, but,make no mistake...it's difficult in the extreme, when you're in an "indie" band, to do it with consistency and practically hopeless if you seek something beyond the simple gratification of playing shows...my band made somewhere in the neighborhood of $250K over the years, every bit of which went right back into the band...i worked for free (beer), and never saw a penny of revenue, other than in-trade stuff like hotel rooms, lift tickets and other perks...

thanks for asking scrivener! aloha!
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

I love live music and wish I had more time for checking it out. Will you let us know if any of your projects hits the stage?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

again, thanks for caring...i have a regular gig Downtown, but i'm reluctant to self-promote...lately my mantra sounds something like this: "anonymity and plausible deniability..."

if that sounds like something the "smoking man" might say, it's because i watch way too many x-files reruns...further aloha!
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an indie band?

And by all means, do self-promote! I'd like to know where you play!

I have a couple of friends who play in town, and I am constantly singing their praises. Maybe if I drop by one of your gigs and like what I hear, I'll sing your praises too!
            The inability to hear is a nuisance; The inability to communicate a tragedy. Hear my hands!

Comment

Originally posted by Jemmie211
              Forgive my ignorance, but what is an indie band?
              in·die (ĭn'dē) n. Informal. 1. One, such as a studio or producer, that is unaffiliated with a larger or more commercial organization. 2. An artistic work produced by an independent company or group: “[His film] showed that indies could . . . take in millions at the box office” (Liesl Schillinger). adj. Of, relating to, or being an indie: an album of indie rock; an indie film company.

C'mon, jdub, spill! I'm downtown all the time, and live music beats the sound of traffic or screaming crazies any day!

Have you recorded anything? I love local indie music and have been fortunate enough to feature lots of local artists (from John Keawe and Pali to high school kids with acoustic guitars) on my podcast...

Comment

ok...i play at o'toole's on nuuanu ave with my irish band Doolin Rakes...we'll be on hiatus for three weeks beginning may 28, as our singer is flying to france for some gigs...i've also got an original rock project called Mama Zang that will play at anna bannana's on sat 6/4 and o'toole's on sat 6/11...

if anyone happens to make it, i'm the singer guitarist...come say howdy!

and pz...yes, Doolin Rakes put together an EP with about 10 tracks, 4 from the studio and the rest live...indie all the way...aloha!
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

I'm game. Hey, Serenity, AbsolutChaos, anybody else? Let's go say howdy and listen to some indie music!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

awesome! sat (5/21) is going to be a big show, out drummer's last before he and his wife move to hong kong...we start at 9pm...hope to see yall there!
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

A little bird told me Mama Zang is playing Anna Banana's next Saturday, June 4...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        A little bird told me Mama Zang is playing Anna Banana's next Saturday, June 4...
                        Indeed, and as that creepy lady in Poltergeist said, "Come into the light! All are welcome, all are welcome!"
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

he's the reeeeeeeeeeeeally skinny guy with the short curly hair. He is devoted to his sideburns, which are kinda retro sexy! Of course he smokes too much so if his voice is worth a damn... nyuk, nyuk. Likes his beer, so treat him to one cause he doesn't make enough money. I don't care what he'd have you believe!
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                            he's the reeeeeeeeeeeeally skinny guy with the short curly hair. He is devoted to his sideburns, which are kinda retro sexy! Of course he smokes too much so if his voice is worth a damn... nyuk, nyuk. Likes his beer, so treat him to one cause he doesn't make enough money. I don't care what he'd have you believe!
                            11pm? Isn't it past your bedtime?
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Working...
                            X