Mctaro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mctaro?

Has anyone tried the new Taro dessert at Mickey D's? I heard it has taro and coconut in it.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Mctaro?

Sounds like kulolo? McTaro? Uh-oh... batten down the hatches!

Comment

Where did you see it? What kind of taro dessert is it? Is it anything like the Chinese McDonald's sweet taro pie?

Comment

They just ran a story about it on KHON... it's still in the testing phase, but they are the same ones served in China. All the old folks who they had taste it said it was good.

Comment

Yeah seen that. Looks like pieces of taro in your run of the mill McD deep fried pie. I think they were saying that the taro isnt even from here...Will sample one tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Where did you see it? What kind of taro dessert is it? Is it anything like the Chinese McDonald's sweet taro pie?
            funny you should ask, because the taro certainly does not come from here...according to KHON's takayama, it comes from "asia"...although that didn't seem to disturb the customers who gobbled it down on his dime...
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
              funny you should ask, because the taro certainly does not come from here...according to KHON's takayama, it comes from "asia"...although that didn't seem to disturb the customers who gobbled it down on his dime...
              Yeah, they're probably using Japanese taro ("imo"). If the pie is widely accepted in Hawai'i, they might try to make it locally, but nowdays, the taro farmers in Hawai'i can't even keep up with the demand for other taro products (poi and poi mix). Taro farming is a very labor-intensive operation, and much of the land that could have been used for lo'i has been snatched up by development. Auwe.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

indeed...and combine the the fact that the rainy winter here had an adverse effect on taro production at Hawai'i's lo'i, it appears that poi lovers here are in for some summertime feasts without the staple of Hawaiian soul food. Bummer. It'll almost be interesting to see if McDs sells a lot of those scalding sugar bomb McTaros.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

My wife and I tried this today. Yummy!

Comment

Yeah not bad at all. The plus for me was that it was made old school McD pie way... deep fried. I didn't see or taste any coconut in it though.

Comment

I also tried it. It was, indeed, purple starchy Asian-style taro. If it were all by itself, I wouldn't really care for it, but put it inside that distinctive deep-fried McDonald's crust, and it was pretty tasty.

Comment

Working...
                      X