help with relocation/jobs info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with relocation/jobs info please

We will be relocating BACK to oahu from the mainland. I am 36 years old, am married, and have a 5 year old son. Looking for information that might help us!

I was a youth pastor in kaneohe for 3 years (2000-2003) while wife was stationed at Scholfield Barracks, and I attended Wayland Baptist University (Pearl City) and ICGS. I am a permanently disabled veteran (20%) and receieve a check each month.

We have about $55,000 in the bank, and wife will be leaving the military in March 2006. The army life SUCKS at war time, and we have been a miltary family for 10 years, and its time for a MAJOR LIFE CHANGE.

We will be moving back courtesy of the army (they will be paying to ship our household items and vehicle BACK to oahu), and we are totally debt free! I have a current hawaiian drivers lisence, and a hawaiian bank account, so that might help me seen as less of a haeloe.

We are looking for a decent, yet "inexpensive" (both in the same sentance on OAHU?!) place to live. I am unfamiliar with the private housing things there on the island. I look at HUD housing, and also at
    subsidized housing. What are the differences? I see that the subsidized housing is NOT hud housing, and is based on income. Has anyone use/using/has used the subsidized stuff?

I have several applications for housing areas, and they all are
    subsidized (see the list at http://www.hud.gov/apps/section8/res...atename=Hawaii)

I will be a full time student at Wayland Baptist, while trying to work either full time or part time. Wife will be working part time/full time and we will have to enroll our son in school.

We are moving to the island WITHOUT employment. I have tried to apply for jobs and submit resumes, and I realize that is a waste of time as the emloyers mostly want people ALREADY on the island. I also realize that most imployers are wary about hiring new comers, because of "rock fever" (they do NOT stay on the island long - ie burn out).

Also, where are the best places to get groceries. Remember, we are using to getting everything on base, so we know nothing about grocery shopping OUTSIDE the base. Advice appreciated.

Wife and son will be staying with parents while I come to the island at first by myself. It will take the stress off of me having to care for them, and allow me to job hunt and apartment hunt. I am planning on staying in a HOSTEL (http://www.hokondo.com/default.asp) while looking.
    I will also be renting a car, it seems that dollar rent a car is the cheapest at $140 a week. It will take about 3 weeks for my car to get there from New York.

Again, if you are a transplant, please think about how difficult/challenging things were for you. Any advice/experinces you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

fivesolas2004@yahoo.com
    http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Re: help with relocation/jobs info please

Aloha, Islandguy!

Since you've lived here before, albeit for three years, you have a decent groundwork from which to work. Your disability check will make for a helpful subsidy, and your nest egg might provide some cushion. But I'm sure you know that setting up shop here won't be easy, and a bit more complicated with a child.

Originally posted by islandguy
    We are looking for a decent, yet "inexpensive" (both in the same sentance on OAHU?!) place to live. I am unfamiliar with the private housing things there on the island. I look at HUD housing, and also at subsidized housing. What are the differences?
    I'm afraid I don't know much about these options, or how they relate to "Section 8" housing, which is also income-based. (You're too young for senior benefits.)

I'd strongly suggest you look at either of the two Honolulu dailies, the Star-Bulletin and the Advertiser, the former in particular having done a series of articles just last week about the high-cost of living, and specifically focusing on how renters are being forced onto the streets. It used to be the problem was just high rents -- say, $1,900 a month for something nice for a family -- but now it's outright availability. Any unit, at any price, will have two dozen applicants at least.

Rents are cheaper on the neighbor islands, true, but overall opportunities are also very limited.
    I will be a full time student at Wayland Baptist, while trying to work either full time or part time. Wife will be working part time/full time and we will have to enroll our son in school.
    Unless your disability income is considerable, I can't see making it on two part-time incomes. Hawaii has one of the highest rates of the multiply employed, meaning people who have two or more jobs. Even two full-time incomes, in other words, is often not enough.

And while what you say about the reluctance of local employers to talk to out-of-towners is true, I'd not stop looking or trying anyway. At the very least, start the conversation, get an introduction and an appointment. You'll have to hit the ground running.
    Also, where are the best places to get groceries. Remember, we are using to getting everything on base, so we know nothing about grocery shopping OUTSIDE the base. Advice appreciated.
    Won't you still have base privileges after leaving the military? We've got a fair number of commisaries here, and their prices are tough to beat.

We do a lot of our shopping at Costco, which means affordable unit prices but a great deal of bulk. Still, we find a way to go through twelve pounds of hamburger pretty quickly, and diapers? Whoo, boy.
    Again, if you are a transplant, please think about how difficult/challenging things were for you. Any advice/experinces you care to share would be greatly appreciated.
    I can't think of anyone off hand in a similar situation, but I do hope you find good advice here and elsewhere (don't miss soc.culture.hawaii on USENET). I know some people who show up here on a wing and a prayer and make it just fine, and others who prepare for years and find themselves quickly overwhelmed. The right attitude is a big part of what will determine your success... or at least, how well you weather the adventure!

Comment

The hiring mentality here is that a college degree is a must for ANY job! So for starters when writing cover letters to prospective employers, please PLEASE check your spelling for errors, your post was chock full of em. This isn't to mock you. If your letters are of high school caliber or less (I before E except after C) most employers will simply trash your application without reading the rest of it.

Coming to Hawaii without an invite to a job position is a sure bet for homelessness. With today's housing market (especially on Oahu) getting a decent place with no references or housing history is suicide. Most landlords are requesting a credit check and at least three references. Is your credit history pristine? If not getting an appointment to see a rental unit will be hard.

Right now from the sound of your post, you are probably not financially equipped to handle the move to Oahu (living expenses). My suggestion is to have your wife stay in the military and cross train into another field that would allow you and her to stay stateside. The military is going thru a crunch in maintaining its forces and unless your wife is in a critically undermanned field she should be able to cross train into a job while maintaining her rank and active duty benefits that you desperately need.

If active duty isn't what she wants, consider the National Guard or Reserves and do it part time. At least you'll have some sort of subsidy while looking for a job.

But don't, I repeat DON'T attempt to come here without a job. I've heard the horror stories from those who have attempted to make it here in Paradise only to find the lackluster employment and high housing costs. Those two conditions will make it very hard to live here and will most likely put you and your wife out on the streets.

Your best bet is to take advantage of your wife's military career and put her in a safe duty assignment. The military will appreciate her decision to stay and in the long run so will the both of you.

Good luck in your future and I commend you on continuing your education. GET THAT DEGREE!!!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

Your best bet is to take advantage of your wife's military career and put her in a safe duty assignment. The military will appreciate her decision to stay and in the long run so will the both of you.

Good luck in your future and I commend you on continuing your education. GET THAT DEGREE!!!
        Craig, my WIFE (female) is in a overstrengthed job, that means they dont WANT HER anymore. She will be FORCED to reclass into a mechanic or bus driver. I am aware that many people have no idea what military life is like at normal times, let alone war time (yes, we are in a WAR!). And it SUCKS!
        I see my wife LESS THAN 3 hours a DAY at BEST! We are determined to LEAVE THE ARMY, against IT SUCKS! If you are considering joining the army now, do this.

1. take 20 steps back
        2. run as fast as you can and ram your head into nearest concrete wall
        3. repeat steps 1-2 again
        4. join army

Make sense?

Thanks for the advice, I appreaciate it. I have had several employers contact me as a result of resumes posted different places on the internet. We have 10 months to find job, and I am not waiting until the last minute to start looking. Mahalo !

Comment

hmmmmmm.Aloha.hmmmmmmmm

Personally, I think it would be unwise to come to Hawai'i. Prices are high and housing is difficult even for War Heros coming come. I know, I'm the mother of three soldiers! Two who re-elisted to serve our country in WAR TIME! they both were in Iraq the same time, my son recently came back from Afganistan. My youngest is deploying in July.

My son and his wife (two children 4 & 5) have been looking for a place since last week. Luckily, they have me here and need not to worry about going house hunting, getting their papers, DMV, etc. Because of the arrival of soldiers coming back from the WAR, housing is scarce. Even with the Army's assistance of living expenses of $ 1,500+, they are on a list for a three bedroom at Barber's Point...number 12 applicant.

Yes, dear sir...it is hard and going to get harder. I used to wish my children didn't join the military. Today, I stand even prouder of them, their accomplishments and their ability to serve or Country with Honor.

If you do decide to come live here. Let me know, I know plenty of places you can go shop cheap. Hamada's is one! You want to learn how to cook local food...take one of my classes. One starts June 2nd. PM me for details.

Lynn Vasquez
          momthreesoldiers@msn.com
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am a disabled vet. If you are well, they want you, you get hurt serving them, they dont want you. I hope all your sons come home uninjured. God bless....know how to make spam musubi?

Comment

i've found that honolulu.craigslist.org is a terrific resource for jobs, homes and other such matters...check it out...and good luck with your relocation plans
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy
                Thanks for the reply. I am a disabled vet. If you are well, they want you, you get hurt serving them, they dont want you. I hope all your sons come home uninjured. God bless....know how to make spam musubi?
                my son, was injured twice in iraq. he was deployed to afganistan within one year. my other two soldiers are my daughters. eh, spam musubi? you just missed spamjam in waikiki. god bless you too. he'll guide you where to go.

aunty lynn aka auntie pupule
                momthreesoldier

Comment

see also forums hawaii classifieds

oh! and did someone say cooking classes?
                  this space for rent

Comment

Poi, I think Islandguy is a little outside the target demographic of FH! (No offense, Islandguy!) I'm with jdub, a good place to start would be Honolulu Craigslist and its Jobs section, but those listings are limited to the more net-savvy employers. For sheer bulk, you can't beat the CareerBuilder job listings from the Honolulu Advertiser. (I prefer the Star-Bulletin for news, but the Advertiser's classifieds have easily three times as many entries.) Finally, believe it or not, a lot of local companies post listings with national job databases, like Monster.com. Just watch out for the 'work from home!' scams.

Oh, and there are always temp agencies, like Altres.

Comment

Originally posted by poi cocktail :)
                      see also forums hawaii classifieds

oh! and did someone say cooking classes?
                      Me too! Me too! Sorry to but in but Ohhhh how I want to learn too!
                      Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Cnecki
                        Me too! Me too! Sorry to but in but Ohhhh how I want to learn too!
                        The cooking class starts on June 2nd. It's free. Should be lot's of fun...I'm the one teaching! I will PM you when everything is finalized. Limiting to 20 students. Reason...never mind.

getting back to subject...housing. Sssshhh. MAMA and I helped my son and his wife look for places yesterday. I agree that the Advertiser has the best classifieds. Still, everyplace I called was either taken or had to go there to put in an application for a waiting list.

Prices as up to $ 2,300+ is hard to find. There was one in Waianae but I don't think they would be comfortable there due to the heat in summer. Millilani is geared to families but it's like gold, hard to find.

I've decided to call my neice and tell her to look for a forclosure for my son to purchase. Putting money into a rental at these prices is stupid! The idea for purchasing together amongst my kids has died cause they have their own families now.

Relocating problems? I'm glad my son is home. I should have looked a long time ago for him. Most rentals go through Realtors. It's good to get an agent to look for you but the prices they charge is high...eh, we live Hawai'i!

Comment

pls. put me on the class list too re: FH agreed but leave no stone unturned. he was a youth pastor so maybe other parts of that board may be of interest (who knows eh? ). $55k they could come here but would have to blow the whole wad, plus no job lined up that is scary, though if you have some skills construction-related still very strong? but no can simply drive off to another state so have a contingency plan.
                          this space for rent

Comment

Ok, on being included in my class.

Happy to report that it took only "two weeks" for my son and daughter-inlaw to look, apply and get to rent the home of their choice. $1,400, central air-conditioner, yard and five minute walk to an elementary school. Day care and ten minutes to the beach. Army gives them $ 1,700 for living expenses.

I still would rather them put down for a place and pay into that. I have to learn to butt out. He's stationed here for five years...may want to purchase in another State someday.

Comment

! mahalo ! thurs. June 2 it is, I look forward to all the details soon. if you need help preparing, or shopping let me know I get one truck & costco card

sounds like your boy found a good housing situation, things could be worse - but they here close to you now.
                              this space for rent

Comment

Working...
                              X