Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Sex-Offender Registry Returns

http://www.sexoffenders.hawaii.gov/

For good or ill, here it is. I've been having difficulty initiating a search--I wonder if the site's being hit at a rate greater than it can handle--but if you haven't played around with this, it's worth a look. According to the front page, you can get info about offenders' addresses, work locations, registered vechicles, and even school affiliations. That's interesting. I wonder what good it does to know where someone went to school; perhaps it's just that local thing where we all have to know where people went to school!

You can search by street name and ZIP code, too, which of course is the most useful of all--just type in your street name and ZIP and see who lives on your street and has been convicted of sex crimes.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Hawaii Sex-Offender Registry Returns

I remember the original version of this database, before it was taken down. Living in Makiki at the time, population density meant it was no surprise to see many listings for people on our street. I imagine in some smaller neighborhoods, things are about to get a little uncomfortable for some people.

I'm a bleeding-heart liberal, but I'm also a parent, so at best my take on this is mixed. Time served is time served, but the recidivism rate is terrifying. More importantly, to me as a wanna-be journalist, though, is the fact that a public record is a public record, and if {x} is available to people who take the time to come downtown and rifle through a filing cabinet, there's no reason why {x} shouldn't also be put online for people to access in the privacy of their own homes.

I thought I'd heard that the database includes only serious (felony) sex offenses, correct? Does that mean it excludes lesser transgressions, such as a 16-year-old and a 14-year-old having a consentual sexual relationship?

Comment

I noticed that if you select "offender against a minor" the search comes up with "0" matches, and a note that states that, that information cannot be provided on the internet. At first I was confused, isn't that the information everyone wants access to? After reading the disclaimer,

WARNING: Chapter 846E does not allow for the display of all convicted sex offenders or offenders against minors on the Internet. Additional information may be available at Public Access locations at the HCJDC and main county police stations, including the Kona police station.

The "Offenders Against Minors" category includes only offenders convicted of Kidnapping or Unlawful Imprisonment of a minor for ransom or some other non-sexual purpose. If an offender commits an offense against a minor that involves an act or an attempted act that is a "Sexual Offense", then the offender will be listed in the "Sex Offender" category.

it explains that the offense against minors are not specially catagorized. I guess my question is if the information cannot be released on the internet, why do they give you an option to search for offenders against minors in the first place?
      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I'm not sure how accurate directories like that are. For instance, in the Jessica Lundford case in FL, the guy who killed her was a listed sex offender but wasn't living at the address he gave (he was staying instead with his sister who lived across the street from Jessica's family).

It may cost money, but the only way you're going to know where this miscreants are is if you electronically boot them and track 'em by GPS (like Martha Stewart). Either that, or lock 'em up in the general prison population, let the rest of the inmates know why they're in prison, and let "nature" take its course.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Search for kumu hula Chinky (Howell K.) Mahoe under the Minors heading and get zero results, but search for him under the Registered Sex Offender category and presto, there he is. Five counts of Sex Assault 3 and one count of Sex Assault 4; convicted on August 24, 1998.
          Everyone knows the case involved minors, so why not list him under that category?

I just don't understand why the Makaha Sons continue to feature him in all their shows. I know folks who won't go to a show if they know Chinky is in it and who will walk out if he appears unexpectedly at any show. Gotta admire the Sons for their loyalty to an old friend, but still.

Anyway, run a search by zip code. 55 in Kaneohe, 36 in Kailua, and didn't have time to look at the rest of the zip codes. It'd be mildly interesting to know which areas have the most and which have the least.
          I agree with the comment about "let nature take its course".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

A link to definitions of the charges would help.

I don't get it either, why not categorize sex crimes against minors?

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2005/05/10/news/index2.html

There are about 2,100 registered sex offenders in the state, according to Attorney General Mark Bennett. Those not listed online include:

» About 300 whose offenses are less serious and whose information is available at the attorney general's Criminal Justice Data Center and police stations.
              » About 300 others whose cases are being worked on to determine if they meet the new standards for having their information posted. These cases include mostly people who moved to Hawaii, Bennett said.
              » About 100 who have committed only single misdemeanor offenses and are not required to have their information made public.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Here are a few things I noticed when I opened every available record returned when executing a 96701 (Aiea) search:
                • Workplace addresses are not given; only street names.
                • Some offenders' workplace "addresses" are listed as P.O. Boxes (without the box number). What good does it do to list addresses of places of employment if you're just going to give the employers' P.O. Box addresses? If the purpose of the registry is to keep people aware of others' histories, this is a joke.
                • I recognized one name: Dennis Cacatian, who was named in the Kehealani Indreginal incident and who has a 1979 rape conviction.
                • The oldest record in this search is of a 1962 rape conviction.
                • The reports contain spaces for past and future college affiliation and for "last known personal vehicles" registered, but of the 49 Aiea-related records I examined, not a single one provided any of this information.
                • I don't know what the recidivism rates are supposed to look like, but of the 49 Aiea-related records I examined, not a single offender had more than one conviction date.
                • All 49 Aiea-related records returned belonged to men.

I look forward to delving more deeply into this database.
                Last edited by scrivener; May 10, 2005, 09:52 PM.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I couldn't resist one more quick search: 96825 (Hawaii Kai).
                  • 11 matches.
                  • Again, no automobile or college info.
                  • No multiple conviction dates.
                  • Forgive my noticing, but a much higher percentage of apparent Caucasians.

In both searches, all convictions were handed down in Hawaii--I didn't see any mainland convictions.

-----------

All right, I just did one more. I wanted to see if a search of 96822 (Moiliili and Manoa) would give something with college info.

Hey. I finally found a repeat offender!. And another.

Oh, and finally, here's someone with college info.

Okay, so 49 Aiea people plus 11 Hawaii Kai people plus 22 Manoa/Moiliili/Makiki people equals 82 people, two of whom have more than one conviction date, representing 2.4%.
                  Last edited by scrivener; May 10, 2005, 06:43 PM.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If you click on the default 00000 zip code, you get a listing of 300+ offenders currently serving time in prison.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

it looks like there are two points of accuracy that are important with this whole ghastly registry thing...one, offenders are expected to register, and two, the state is constrained by the rights of individuals (even convicted offenders?!), including victims who are minors...

both sides are inherently remiss, whether by pathology or beauracracy...of all of the recent local sex offense cases in the local media now (forget the dockets), would the registry have helped prevent any of them? i choose to believe so...
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

In regards to Chinky Mahoe, I had to go back and do some Googling to get some info on him, not being too familiar with (what I now know of) his whole molestation crimes. I have to say that you ,LikaNui, made some very passionate points in an earlier version of this forum back in September 2004, for which I belatedly applaude you. Well said.
                        Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; May 11, 2005, 03:06 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Governor Lingle reports this morning on KHVH radio that the Sex Offender Registry website got 125,000 hits in its first day of operation.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Victor Bakke, a defense attorney, made an interesting point:

"They don't put people on ice on the Internet," he said. "I don't have children, but I would rather know if a crackhead down the street is going to break into my car."
                            Why don't they put up photos of people convicted of other crimes? I mean, fair is fair. As much as I'd like to know if there is a convicted sex offender in my neighborhood, I'd also like to know if there is a convicted thief or a drug user. Why are those felons' privacy rights protected?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Why don't they put up photos of people convicted of other crimes? I mean, fair is fair. As much as I'd like to know if there is a convicted sex offender in my neighborhood, I'd also like to know if there is a convicted thief or a drug user. Why are those felons' privacy rights protected?
                              I'm sure there are finer points of law that I just don't understand, but this has always been a mystery to me, too. I mean, aren't all felons' convictions a matter of public record? Can't I as an employer discover an applicant's felony record, and can't I as a citizen go downtown and stand in line and rifle through manila folders to find out if someone has a felony conviction, or a civil lawsuit pending against them, even? If so, it seems reasonable to me that this same information could be posted online, and save everyone some time.

Why work especially hard on sex offenders? Well, frankly, emotional elements play a big part of it. "Who will think of the children?" comes the familiar cry. And to be fair, with almost ghastly timing we're seeing a troubling bump in the number of crimes against children here in recent years. Couple that with Megan's Law and other national trends, and the blindly-accepted truism of high recidivism, and you've got a project that is scandalously easy to get public support - and political points - for implementing.

Comment

Working...
                              X