The pono Hawai'i taught me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pono Hawai'i taught me.

ESPN Magazine recently published an article about NFLer LaVar Arrington and his half-million entertainment system at his mansion in suburban Washington D.C. It was a story that I found particularly grating due to what I felt was its underlying message that if you too, youth of America, become a pro athlete, you will be paid millions, just like LaVar, and you too can buy half-million entertainment systems, installed in your palacial mansion that you get to via your Ferraris. It seemed to me that this article indirectly promoted greed, while at the same time, allows those in the grips of having to acquire (and flaunt) material possessions for themselves, immunity from having to..or wanting to..to give to charity and think of others.

I wrote to ESPN with my assessment of the story, and in some way, they must of agreed, or found some merit in my "letter to the editor" as I received an e-mail from them yesterday which reported to me that my letter will be published in the next issue of ESPN Magazine, available nationally tomorrow. It will be the one with Jason Isringhausen on the cover posing (naturally) next to his what (I assume, based on what ESPN told me) will be his bling-bling automobile.

My State of Hawai'i upbringing and the morals of the Hawai'ian community I lived in clearly manifested themselves in the letter I had to keep brief in order to have a chance of being published.

If your are interested, it should be in the letters section, signed by me with my current temporary hometown ( I WILL retrun to Hawai'i someday) of Bristol, Rhode Island listed, at your newstands tomorrow..well..I'm not sure when this issue will be available in Hawai'i.

I hope the kupuna of Hawai'i will agree with what I have to say.
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; May 12, 2005, 08:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Working...
X