The Military Shuffle: Bases and Carriers and Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Military Shuffle: Bases and Carriers and Competition

Apparently, while another round of base closures are about to be announced, Hawaii isn't as worried as most other states:
    U.S. Rep. Ed Case agrees with defense analysts who say that threats posed by China and North Korea could help Hawaii escape the next round of realignment and closure of military bases. Case said yesterday that he has not received any advance briefings by the Base Realignment and Closure Commission. However, he believes that in the next decade, "the posture of our defense will be oriented to Asia and the Pacific rather than Euro-centric. That would highlight Hawaii's role in the nation's defense posture," he said. "That also would mean that the West Coast and Hawaii would (be) less likely to be affected by BRAC because of the long-range problems in Asia."
    Ian Lind spotted this article from Seattle spelling out the town-versus-town reality of competing for a federal military presence (and the accompanying economic boost):
    Washington's congressional delegation and local officials have traveled to the Pentagon in recent months to tout Naval Station Everett and other bases. And some of those conversations have focused squarely on competition from Hawaii, which hasn't based a carrier at Pearl Harbor since World War II...

In devising tomorrow's list, Pentagon planners take into account a wide range of financial, strategic and political considerations. Hawaii, for example, touts its proximity to East Asia and long history with military bases. But Everett's lobbyist in D.C., retired Adm. James Seely, noted Hawaii lacks practice ranges for carrier fighter-bombers, which would have to train stateside. And building new carrier infrastructure in Hawaii could cost around $2.2 billion...

The Pentagon may not decide whether to deploy a carrier in Hawaii tomorrow, leaving that choice for another day.And even if Pentagon planners want to go ahead with a new station in Hawaii, some military watchers say it should move one of the five carriers at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia...

With billions of defense dollars at stake, it's common for targeted communities to point fingers at others they want to be in the commission's sights. And if it comes to that, Washington officials say they are ready to play hardball. "We are poised to respond," said Antonio Ginatta, adviser to Gov. Christine Gregoire.
    Hope Lingle's got her boxing gloves on.

Re: The Military Shuffle: Bases and Carriers and Competition

Meanwhile, a bizarre attempt to move control of the Pacific Fleet to the Atlantic Coast was stopped in its tracks by Sen. Inouye:
    "Such a move would send the wrong message to the international community at a time when the North Koreans are boasting of having nuclear capabilities, when Japan-China relations have hit a rough point and when the United States and Japan are negotiating a mutual defense pact," he said last week. "Given the current situation in Asia, and given that the Pentagon's base realignment and closure recommendations have not yet been released, we should wait at least one fiscal year before making a decision of this magnitude."

Comment

Isle military bases virtually untouched in closure report
      Under the report to the Base Closure and Realignment Commission Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility, which is the state’s largest industrial employer with more than 3,000 civilian workers, will gain 111 civilian jobs. The commission also proposed: Closing the U.S. Army Reserve Center in Hilo... and relocating its 118 soldiers to a new proposed Armed Forces Reserve Center at Keaukaha Military Reservation near the Hilo Airport... [and] Realigning several units and operations located at Hickam Air Force Base, transferring some of its functions to mainland installations and combining other operations with the Navy at Pearl Harbor... The overall net gain in civilian jobs for Hawaii is one.
      Sadly, the news wasn't so good for other towns across the country, and some of them are planning to fight. As fortunate as Hawaii was, it might be a good idea to keep celebrations to a minimum.

Comment

Looks like Dan the Man Inouye didn't lobby the DoD hard enough; Everett's keeping the USS Abraham Lincoln, much to the relief of the people up there who really would be in a world of hurt if the carrier went somewhere else. Bremerton appears to be unscathed too. So the newkleer subs that are based there in Bangor are staying.

What's kind of odd is many of the closures are of National Guard and Reserve centers. And I also noticed (much to my happy surprise) that the blue states weren't the only ones faced with closures. I'm just wondering if the closures are "cosmetic" more than anything else. The Pentagon can't really decrease its size too much, not with the war in Iraq. I know their ultimate plan is to have smaller, more agile forces stationed all over the world rather than being concentrated in the states (the better and more quick to invade another country if necessary), but I'm not sure doing away with the National Guard stuff is prudent. Who's supposed to be protecting US in this country from attacks on our soil if there are fewer Reservists? Are they not pulling more than their fair share of work in Iraq now?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

despite being a republican, I voted for Dan Inouye simply because he brings in the bacon to our tax ridden state of ours (soon to be even more taxed wtih the light rail GET increase).

Yes his arguements sound valid and they probably are but he is the man to bring in much needed federal dollars to our state in ways no other can (even Mr. Abercrombie cannot live up to this legend)

His arguement that Hawaii is a strategic military location is valid but he also know our military community accounts for a huge chunk of our local business economy and without military presence here in the isles, our economy would be a sinkhole for tax dollars and the taxpayer. The military is much like an industry here and without those dollars flowing in, this state would be hard pressed.

Not that I'm a supporter of more military here, but these are the simple facts and they over ride any other reason why the military should or shouldn't be here. We need those federal monies to survive here. Look at the Philipines when they lost Subic Bay and Clark AFB.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well, I think you really need to thank Uncle Dan for his efforts in keeping Pearl Harbor safe from being closed down. It appears that the Base Closing commission was looking seriously at shutting the place down (aloha, 4,000 civilian jobs and mucho buckolas if that happens) but it was "saved" from the cut list because of its strategic location. Of course, something could still happen between now and the time the final list is announced.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

pearl harbor and the us military presence are the only drawback to the hawaiian paradise.

instead of relying on military tax dollars welfare ,hawaii should develop its local economy and boost tourism and develop high tech industries and become the economic gateway to the booming asia and pacific rim markets.

us military bases and troops all over the world from seoul and okinawa to germany and italy are being protested against and attacked and being kicked out of the host countries.

but if you want to be surrounded by and live with all the nukes and ballistic missiles and bunker buster bombs and gun toting abu gharaib lower classers,you are entitled to the free government handout.
              free hawaii!hawaii sovereignty now!

Comment

Pearl Harbor might still be cut

Hawai'i won't know until July 19 whether it will be on the final list of bases to be cut. Is the State prepared for the loss of 4,500 jobs? Even with your robust economy and the lowest unemployment rate in the country, will there be enough jobs to go around without causing a meltdown of your economy?

It'll probably come down to choosing between Pearl Harbor and Portsmouth, ME. If you don't want to see Pearl Harbor dismantled, write to Dan Inouye and other members of the Hawai'i delegation. Apparently Portsmouth has embarked on a vigorous PR campaign to save that shipyard. Your State officials, working with your Congressional representatives, need to start on a similar campaign immediately. Don't be complacent about the decision. With the rogue government we have in power in the White House today, something that seems like a sure bet (i.e., keeping Pearl Harbor open) may not be guaranteed. As long as this Administration is in office, I think Pearl Harbor will come into the DoD's scope every year from now on.

Miulang

Comment

Re: Pearl Harbor might still be cut

i think PH is now being considered for addition to the list of potential base closures because of the fact that so many other communities in the US and abroad have been hosed by such decisions...i think the prevailing mentality among non-PH militarists is "why should PH get off scott-free?"...i'm certainly not a military man, but even the most ardent pacifists have to acknowledge the fact that PH is the most important military installation in the pacific basin...not to mention the fact that shutting down the shipyard would be an enormously egregious insult to the legacy of every war veteran that ever made a port call at PH...perish the thought...
                  Don't be mean,
                  try to help.

Comment

It's really sad if the closing of Pearl Harbor Shipyard happens. Saw it on the news tonight and Congressman Case saying that the board that decides the faith is saying that shipyards on the mainland can do a better job. Senator Inouye called the head. Still to early to know whether they will close. We got two fighters for us. Inouye and Case!

Lots of jobs will be lost. Didn't they just have a big campaign to hire new employees due to lot of retirements coming up?

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

OMG...closing in two weeks?
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; July 4, 2005, 06:04 PM.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

And exactly where is your lovely Governor Linda Lingle? She's been awfully quiet about the threat. Why is she leaving it all up to your Congressional representatives and Senators? I thought she was buddy-buddy with the White House? Shouldn't she be calling up some of her own "political capital" with the White House for all that she did to help Dubya win re-election (OK, so she didn't deliver Hawai'i, but she sure did a lot smiling and talking on his behalf)?

Miulang

Comment

She concentrating on her own Kakaako Shuffle!

Lynn

Comment

I apologize. "They" will be voting on the closure in two weeks.

Aunty Pupule

Comment

Representatives from the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Maine had a whole bunch of people testify on their behalf to keep that shipyard open and either reduce operations or close down Pearl Harbor entirely.

PH may have a strategic advantage to Asia, but according to the Portsmouth contingent, they are the most efficient operation in the entire country for getting jobs done on time and within budget. Besides location, what does PH have going for it? Portsmouth claims closing them down would impact about 12,000 jobs; Hawai'i would only directly lose about 4,500 jobs.

What would happen if PH were realigned and reduced in importance? As I said earlier, take nothing for granted with this White House. If you want PH to continue to be an important economic presence in Hawai'i, then you guys have to work for it, and not be complacent. Portsmouth did its homework, and if PH makes it to the final list on the 19th, the people who represent you will only have 2 hours of the BRAC commissions' time to plead your case.

Miulang

Comment

This article from the Advertiser says that the community and local officials have not yet started showing their support for keeping PH off the BRAC list. Seriously, folks, if you want your economy to stay rosy, you need to do all you can to get Linda Lingle and your Honolulu City Council to start working on the same kind of elaborate presentation that Portsmouth, ME gave yesterday.

Take nothing for granted. It appears that "cost savings" is the operative word; strategic location is only secondary.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X