format of media news crews use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• format of media news crews use?

I was wondering what format of media our local news crews use?

And will they start using those small digital camcorders anytime soon?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: format of media news crews use?

Believe it or not KGMB still uses 1/2-inch Betacam tapes! I'm not sure about the others but it amazes me that they still use that stuff.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey man, if you've got the pro gear, you use it. What are you suggesting? That they throw out their time-tested cameras, post production facilities, and staff? Also, high end beta equipment is still widley used everywhere.
      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

I think it's called "NEW TECHNOLOGY" and "DOWNSIZING!" I don't think they want to be in the stone age of doing things, per se. After all, they are the "WEATHER STATION!"

hand held video cameras, digitial pictures, then robots to give us the news with no stupid jokes, unnessesary remarks or mystery black eyes. hahahahahahaha (i just had to add that one in)

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          Believe it or not KGMB still uses 1/2-inch Betacam tapes! I'm not sure about the others but it amazes me that they still use that stuff.
          KGMB and KHNL shoot on Betacam SX, which is a digital format recorded onto 1/2 inch tape. KITV shoots on D-9, which is a Digital VHS format. Their edit systems that will finally be replaced are actually quite ancient. For all you Mac users, the systems are run on PowerMac 9100 platforms!!!! Computers nearly ten years old! Speaking of editing, a good deal of post production in this town has transtioned to Final Cut Pro.

All stations accept on commercials on Betacam SP tape....an analog format, but still extremely high quality and an established format. It's a standard that's hard to change because it's still everywhere.

If you wonder why no one uses small camcorders, to use layman's terms, the color and lighting range of what the smaller camera sees is still nowhere near "broadcast" cameras. Add better lenses and better audio connections to the mix and there is a marked difference.

However, the newer generation of HD camcorders are starting to produce images of comparable or even better quality. And the prices are starting to come down.

But with limited station budgets to change equipment, along with other logistical hurdles, it would take some time for tape standards to change.

Comment

I agree the old school stuff is still great equipment however I reckon this situation to a similar one I recommended to my friend who did video weddings.

In his case back in the early 90's the in-thing in video was Hi-8mm in analog. I told him of the upcoming CCD technology as well as computer based editing systems and how it's already infiltrating the still photo amateur markets with lowering prices (rollin' rollin' rollin' ).

Anyway I told him to sell his Hi-8mm and his Panasonic video editing board while it still has some market value in favor of the newer digital stuff coming out. He waited and now he cannot sell his expensive hi-8mm camcorders or his Panasonic editing board for anywhere near acceptable amounts.

Yes KGMB uses antiquated stuff that works great, but when that stuff breaks in the future, support for that equipment may not be there making it's value virutally nothing.

Right now they can sell it while the industry still uses it and get on the technology bandwagon because in time these digital editing systems and pure digital media cameras will be cheaper and better than the beta systems currently in use. At least they have equity in these old technology equipment that they can cash in on to purchase more efficient digital equipment in both shooting and post production.

What amazes me is that Olelo has more sophisticated equipment than KGMB and it's utilized for more amateur use.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
            X