Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wigwam

Moving from another thread...

I recalled Wigwam from my sisters' days living in Kailua, so I found the photo files in the SB archives. That place looked like it was the precursor to Wal-Mart. Although I don't think a name like that would survive in this 'PC' world that we're forced to live in now... Seemed cool, though.

Has anybody actually been there? What was it like?

Re: Wigwam

Originally posted by dick
    Moving from another thread...

I recalled Wigwam from my sisters' days living in Kailua, so I found the photo files in the SB archives. That place looked like it was the precursor to Wal-Mart. Although I don't think a name like that would survive in this 'PC' world that we're forced to live in now... Seemed cool, though.

Has anybody actually been there? What was it like?
    From what I recall, yeah Wigwam's was like your Wal/K-mart type of store but the square footage was much less. The Wigwams turned into PayN Saves then to Payless (or was it the other way around?). I vaguely remember Wigwam in Kailua, I know there was one there though because we stopped by one on the way to the beach to get my sister a floating matress... or was that Cornets?...bah my memory is failing.

Comment

Wigwam was a store much like Longs Drugs as it appears today at the same site. The major differences were the merchandising racks. Wigwam's were a bit taller with product seemingly jutting out everywhere.

In the front of the store I remember there was a crack seed kioske where my grandmother would take me to get a bag of rock candy. The toy department was in the right rear corner with a rear exit near the exit ramp onto Young Street.

Those were the days, then Wigwam became another store before becoming Payless then to Longs Drugs.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There was a Wigwam store for a short while in Hilo too, on Kinoole Street. Wasn't the Checkers & Pogo skyslide located next to one of the Wigwam stores in Honolulu? Or was that Gibsons?

I vaguely recall the old Wigwam TV commercials where the slogan was "you gotta buy more at the Wigwam store... Wigwam!"
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

That was the old Gibsons in Waipahu. There was another skyslide next to the Kam Drive In Theater too in Aiea.

I remember that girl that dressed up in that indian dress with the feather headband. Her screen name was something like Ketchup as in the stuff you put on hotdogs!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Skyslides were located at the Gibson's in Mapunapuna and one in Waipahu near the Fire Station and old McDonalds.

I remember one Wigwam jingle that went, "from 9 to 9, your dollar buys more at your Wigwam Store".

I believe their parent company was called Totem and I recall that they did not open on Sundays (may have been a Morman based company).

Gene Good was one of their spokesperson for commercials. This was the same time when we also saw a lot of Wholesale Motors and Exchange Orangeade commercials, too.
            Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

yeah! as pogo put it: s-s-skyslides! i remember getting a wicked speed burn on my elbow at Gibson's slide back in my hanabata days...wasn't the old arakawa's store around there too? or are my childhood memories consolidating themselves?

there's no store like arakawa's, in all Hawai'i Nei (cock-a-doodle do!)
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

Exchange orange or grape flavor concentrate. hmmmm. remember 1 small can make plenty drink all us kids.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

To my knowledge, Arakawas has always been in Waipahu at the top of Depot Street, where Depot steet intersects Waipahu Street.

Lynn,
                  You forgot about the passion orange flavor that they came out with before they stopped producing those drinks.
                  Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
                    To my knowledge, Arakawas has always been in Waipahu at the top of Depot Street, where Depot steet intersects Waipahu Street.

Lynn,
                    You forgot about the passion orange flavor that they came out with before they stopped producing those drinks.
                    Oh, yeah. why did they stop making them anyway?

Oh! Rocky's is located across of where Arakawas was. Now it's a Samoan Church....just had to put that information in.

I can still taste the exchange on my tastebuds...awwww the memories!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In l970 's, Wigwam, the Skyslide, McDonalds, the Drive in, were good spots for my family. Waipahu was all I needed to feel at home. I stilll have a lamp I bought at Wigwam........35 years ago, WOW
                      CKS

Comment

Working...
                      X