Another Maui landmark bites the dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Maui landmark bites the dust

Anybody who's been to Maui knows about Ooka Supermarket. After 64 years in business, it is shutting down at the end of next month. Ooka was always the place you could find "local" groceries and Asian items that Safeway and the other chains would never think of stocking.

I can't blame Byron the owner (his wife is a 3rd cousin of mine). He was made a deal he couldn't refuse. The building will be renovated to become a community health clinic. The overflow parking lot next door will be senior housing.

The only worrisome thing is when that market closes, there will be no convenient place for people living in central Wailuku to buy their groceries. I'm worried about all the senior citizens who live in Wailuku who used to shop there on a regular basis. They'd walk there and meet friends to talk story. Where will they go now?

Safeway and Times Supermarkets have expressed an interest in putting up a supermarket elsewhere in Wailuku, but they are looking at the area near Waikapu where all the new houses are being built. Poor senior citizens. Getting shafted again for "progress".
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Another Maui landmark bites the dust

And the Kapalua Bay Hotel will be torn down to make way for some time-shares and condominiums next year. That's one of the reasons why real estate prices on Maui are going through the roof...

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X